Main Menu

Numbered Air Force?

Started by SAR-EMT1, February 08, 2008, 08:06:37 AM

FW

I'm getting a pain in my neck over reading this thread  :'(

But I'm going to share my 2 cents worth anyway.   >:D

1.  We are still "Civil Air Patrol" an official auxiliary of the United States Air Force.      The Corporate Charter and Corporate Seal have not changed.  Only the "command patch" has gone through some changes and, don't be too surprised if the pre-2006 patch is reconsidered.

2.   Please don't confuse being the "auxiliary" with being a "legal instrumentality of the Air Force" for insurance purposes.  As the auxiliary, we are privileged to wear AF style uniforms and get Air Force support for ALL our missions (with SECAF approval)  This is why we have free uniforms for cadets, cadet O'flights, mandays for encampments, etc.

3.  The legislation of 2000 (revamping of the "supply bill") has put CAP under the governance of the Board of Governors.  And, the SECAF  has more say in our operations thanks to the Cooperative Agreement and Statement of Work.  These 2 documents "legalize" our status which, I've been told many times, up until 2000 was not.

4.  I'm going to take a couple of Advil and call it a day.  
;)

afgeo4

Simply... CAP isn't the Air Force. It is not a unit within the USAF.

The unit discussed is CAP-USAF which is a true USAF unit staffed with USAF personnel performing a USAF mission. It just so happens that this mission is to be liaisons to CAP. The Civil Air Patrol isn't CAP-USAF though and is not and will not be a unit in the branch. It is a civilian organization which technically doesn't answer to anyone above the National Commander. We are strategically tasked by the office of the Secretary of the Air Force (actually, one of the undersecretaries). We may be tactically tasked by various USAF units such as AFRCC, 1st AF, AETC, and AFNSEP, but simply aren't one of them. That's why we can't be a MAJCOM or a numbered air force or anything else in the USAF.
GEORGE LURYE