Main Menu

MOLLE vrs. ALICE

Started by starhawk, January 27, 2008, 09:40:38 PM

starhawk

I am just starting to acquire SAR equipment. I would like to know which is better: MOLLE vests or ALICE packs.
Alex Riendeau, C/SSgt, CAP
First Sergeant
Inter-State Composite Squadron
Washington Wing

Hawk200

They don't really compare, as a vest and a pack are completely different items. Vests are to carry stuff on your chest (mostly), packs are for carrying stuff on your back.

There are MOLLE vests and rucks. Not many ALICE vests around. MOLLE is the latest load carrying concept, you'll probably find more stuff available.

What you carry is mostly personal preferance.  As for supply, there are some MOLLE II rucks on eBay for $50 or less, complete.

notaNCO forever

MOLLE has less problems with falling of unlike ALILCE clips that can fall off. ALLICE gear is cheaper though and you can also secure it to a pistol belt with paracord in case a clip comes off and you don't have the time that moment to take of your gear and reattach it. I'd personally go with black MOLLE gear. This way when we switch to ABU's you will not have camo or OD green gear

Stonewall

Quote from: NCO forever on January 27, 2008, 09:57:54 PM
MOLLE has less problems with falling of unlike ALILCE clips that can fall off.

That's why in the RealMilitary™ we use this stuff called 550 cord to "dummy cord" everything to the gear so it doesn't fall off.
Serving since 1987.

O-Rex

It really depends on taste and budget.

MOLLE is the "latest & greatest" currently in use by the military, and thus more "in vogue." 

ALICE has been around since the Vietnam war, and there is plenty of surplus floating around. 

For our purposes, both work fine.......

afgeo4

I prefer MOLLE equipment because it's easier to customize. If you get a MOLLE bag then odds are, there's also a hydration pack inside which allows you to wear a bladder as you carry your gear. You can also double that up as you wear your MOLLE vest, putting immediate need stuff on the vest while carrying non-essential gear in the pack, which saves your back and feet. You can easily take off pouches from the outside of the pack and attach them to your vest as needed and vice-versa. You can also attach everything upside down and even sideways.
GEORGE LURYE

JRChristenson

Basically what he said :-)

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:53:21 AM
I prefer MOLLE equipment because it's easier to customize. If you get a MOLLE bag then odds are, there's also a hydration pack inside which allows you to wear a bladder as you carry your gear. You can also double that up as you wear your MOLLE vest, putting immediate need stuff on the vest while carrying non-essential gear in the pack, which saves your back and feet. You can easily take off pouches from the outside of the pack and attach them to your vest as needed and vice-versa. You can also attach everything upside down and even sideways.

I have used both, and I love the ability to customize my MOLLE gear based on my needs...  CheaperThanDirt.com has some pretty good cheap MOLLE gear...  BrigadeQM.com has lots of good MOLLE gear as well.  A couple months ago I put together a sort of shopping list for a base setup with the MOLLE gear, I'd be glad to email it to anyone that wanted ideas and I'd be glad to share what I've learned via trial and error about different pouches and their uses. 
Jonathan Christenson, 1st Lt, CAP
Springfield Regional Composite Squadron NCR-MO-070

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on January 27, 2008, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on January 27, 2008, 09:57:54 PM
MOLLE has less problems with falling of unlike ALILCE clips that can fall off.

That's why in the RealMilitary™ we use this stuff called 550 cord to "dummy cord" everything to the gear so it doesn't fall off.

[pc]That is called Ranger Assist Cord, not Dummy Cord[/pc]

>:D ;D

CadetProgramGuy

brasda91

Quote from: Gunner C on January 28, 2008, 10:41:15 PM

That is called Ranger Assist Cord, not Dummy Cord

>:D ;D

Nah, it's called Para Cord, because the paratroopers invented the idea  ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

floridacyclist

I have dated both Molly and Alice in the past. While Alice was plainer and a cheaper date, Molly was definitely more exciting yet secure...and proving that certain traits are not mutually exclusive, was built for comfort as well. I think Molly is a keeper.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

davedove

Quote from: floridacyclist on January 31, 2008, 07:59:30 PM
I have dated both Molly and Alice in the past. While Alice was plainer and a cheaper date, Molly was definitely more exciting yet secure...and proving that certain traits are not mutually exclusive, was built for comfort as well. I think Molly is a keeper.

It always seemed to me that Alice is a bit looser as well.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

notaNCO forever

Had both MOLLE is more secure never had anything fall off it unlike ALLICE gear

SJFedor

Quote from: davedove on January 31, 2008, 08:01:14 PM

:D :D :D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Michael

Quote from: davedove on January 31, 2008, 08:01:14 PM

It depends on how long of a committment you're getting into.  If you're a cadet and going away to college after high school, Alice will take less of a chunk out of your wallet and will make for a cleaner break; easier to pass on to some other dude...
Bill Coons, C/Capt

fullback

When I was in Young Marines I always used my ALICE pack, and no problems with it. And, like previously stated, there are more ALICE packs in circulation.

DC

I still use ALICE gear, and it works fine, but I want MOLLE gear desperately. It is much more comfortable, versatile, it is a more secure attachment system, more ergonomic, etc, etc. You could also put ALICE pouches on MOLLE loops if you wanted to. 

RRLE

I have never used MOLLE and probably never will. My ALICE LBE equipment is 30+ years old and was originally purchased for day trips during hunting season. I still use it for that and for ARES/RACES work. In 30 years I have never had an ALICE clip break. I carry spares in case it ever does happen. And one breakage isn't fatal. The canteens, mag pouches, butt pack etc stay on with two clips. So to lose a piece of equipment both clips would have to break.

Other then cost (ALICE gear tends to be a lot cheaper) is the comfort factor. This is highly personal but I prefer to have my gear down on the pistol belt around the waist. I only carry a flashlight, compass and small first aid kit on the straps. I have tried on MOLLE gear and having all that gear on my chest just irks the heck out of me and it doesn't feel comfortable.

PORed

I would go with an off the shelf pack actually. You can still get it in woodland if you want but the Marine Corps actually switched from ALICE to MOLLE and then to their ILBE, which is an off the shelf backpack. I have used ALICE, talked with Marines that used MOLLE and I think you will get a consensus that there is just as good if not better civilian gear out there.