Main Menu

In defense of wannabes

Started by RiverAux, December 16, 2007, 09:27:20 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on December 27, 2007, 11:58:15 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2007, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: JThemann on December 27, 2007, 05:34:44 AM
I think this has been brought up, but does the Air Force really need augmenting? Would a few volunteers really make much of a difference?

Just so I understand your viewpoint, define "a few".

Well, lets say that we do put in place some sort of Air Force Base augment program. How many of our members would/could really partipate? And how could they really help?

From my limited experience, all of the Coast Guard stations in my area are small bases, with a pretty small number of Guardsmen. I can see how an additional twenty or what ever USCGAux guys could help there. But could twenty or thirty CAPers really help out much on...lets say Andrews or Mountain Home AFB?

If CAP members had the option of helping out regular Air Force units, what could they do? Paperwork? JAG work? Make coffee? Clean the buildings? Is that stuff that the Air Force really has a crushing shortage of personal in?

So, what's your definition of "a few"?

Technically, I didn't actually ask before, so here's an actual question.

RiverAux

JayT

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:41:14 AM
Quote from: JThemann on December 27, 2007, 11:58:15 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2007, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: JThemann on December 27, 2007, 05:34:44 AM
I think this has been brought up, but does the Air Force really need augmenting? Would a few volunteers really make much of a difference?

Just so I understand your viewpoint, define "a few".

Well, lets say that we do put in place some sort of Air Force Base augment program. How many of our members would/could really partipate? And how could they really help?

From my limited experience, all of the Coast Guard stations in my area are small bases, with a pretty small number of Guardsmen. I can see how an additional twenty or what ever USCGAux guys could help there. But could twenty or thirty CAPers really help out much on...lets say Andrews or Mountain Home AFB?

If CAP members had the option of helping out regular Air Force units, what could they do? Paperwork? JAG work? Make coffee? Clean the buildings? Is that stuff that the Air Force really has a crushing shortage of personal in?

So, what's your definition of "a few"?

Technically, I didn't actually ask before, so here's an actual question.

I'm fairly certain I answered that. If you want an actual number, you have your pick between One and about Fifty Thousand.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

thuglife99

Just out of curiosity, doesn't the CG aux have no rank?  Would many of you be willing to go to something like this, just be called AUX and still have Squadron commanders and such but have no rank. 

Probably not.  I guarantee there would be a hailstorm of complaints.

If a SM would do his job regardless of the uniform he was in, or if he thought the AF was watching, or if people thought he was AF when they saw him from a distance, then they are not a wannabe. 

Stonewall

Quote from: thuglife99 on December 29, 2007, 09:49:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, doesn't the CG aux have no rank?  Would many of you be willing to go to something like this, just be called AUX and still have Squadron commanders and such but have no rank. 

If a SM would do his job regardless of the uniform he was in, or if he thought the AF was watching, or if people thought he was AF when they saw him from a distance, then they are not a wannabe. 

As I have said before, many people prefer CAP over other activities and organizations because of the military-like structure, to include things like rank and uniforms.  Do I need rank to perform the job of commander?  Do I need rank to be a ground branch director; an observer?  No.  But in CAP, rank, uniforms, command structure is all a part of the program like it or not.  Coolest thing is, you do not have to get rank.  You can remain a senior member without rank and no one will say a thing, unless you want to be a commander. 
Serving since 1987.

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2007, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: thuglife99 on December 29, 2007, 09:49:05 AM

As I have said before, many people prefer CAP over other activities and organizations because of the military-like structure, to include things like rank and uniforms.  Do I need rank to perform the job of commander?  Do I need rank to be a ground branch director; an observer?  No.  But in CAP, rank, uniforms, command structure is all a part of the program like it or not.  Coolest thing is, you do not have to get rank.  You can remain a senior member without rank and no one will say a thing, unless you want to be a commander. 

Excellent points Stonewall.