Too Many Chiefs

Started by Stonewall, December 14, 2007, 02:45:25 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2007, 02:45:25 PM
So we have 4 cadet officers and 3 chiefs.  May as well say we'll have 7 cadet officers in the next 2 months.

Problem is, we've got between 12 and 14 cadets at meetings with a total of 20 on the roster.

Anyone else have this issue?  I hate to say it, but I'm about to become DCC and I will inherit this problem.

The most cadet officers I've ever had under my watch has been about 5.  However, we had 30+ active cadets so it was well balanced.

Anyone with similar experience?  Anyone got a fix?  What do you do with top-heavy cadet officers?

With 12 to 14 active cadets, I'd say we need one cadet officer, 2 at best.

Thoughts?  Comments? Recommendations based on experience?

Good for you....great job.

Start recruiting. :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on December 14, 2007, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 14, 2007, 04:33:43 PM
Retaining Cadets in grade because you don't have a manning table slot for them is not an acceptable reason to deny a promotion. You will end up explaining to an IG how you interpreted the rules and denied a cadet a hard-won promotion.

And thus we have the above stated situation noted by UK of 7 cadet officers and not much else.

NO....we have that situation because they have lost/can't keep the new guys.  With out a radical change of our promotion system...holding back someone because the new guy program would be not allowing seniors to graduate because too many freshman are dropping out.

I thing what has happened is that the cadets have turned it into a GOB club and any new 12 year olds are not welcomed.

This may not be intentional......it just may have happened.  50% of the squadron is high ranking....so they are not interested in the basic stuff.....but the 2 guys who need the basic stuff don't have a program for them.

It is a reverse of what we normally have.

We focus on basic stuff that the older cadets get bored and leave.

The fix is to build a balanced program and recruit.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cecil DP

There are 3 squadrons in your city, one of which was just formed. Ask your supernumary officers if they would like to assist the new unit, and practice their command abilities there. I am sure that the commander there would appreciate the assitance and it would help your cadeets imeasurably.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

afgeo4

Quote from: MIKE on December 14, 2007, 03:00:11 PM
For future reference: Manning document/table.  No slot for that grade = no promotion.

For future reference:

Failing to promote a qualified cadet is against regulations.

AND

CAP cadet programs don't have slots for grades. A cadet of any grade can serve in any slot.

AND

Don't blame cadets for their leadership's failure to properly recruit for their cadet programs.

A clear sign of a bad leader is his/her willingness to place blame on their subordinates for things that don't go well while taking credit for things that do.

For the unit with "too many" cadet officers:  I'm sorry your cadets are so high speed. I feel your pain. My unit doesn't have any officers, so I guess I'm lucky. Hey... you know what you could do to keep all these "chiefs" happy? Lend them to other squadrons for a few months or get them heavily involved in ES or Coms or something else. Keep their challenges growing. A C/2nd Lt isn't finished with his/her career yet. It's much tougher to get them to C/Col
GEORGE LURYE

jb512

Quote from: MIKE on December 14, 2007, 03:00:11 PM
For future reference: Manning document/table.  No slot for that grade = no promotion.

I'm with most everyone else here who is against that solution.  I'm not going to deny a qualified cadet a promotion just because I don't have a job for him to do at the moment.  I'll make something up if I have to... or give him my job before I'd do that.

MIKE

Ok guys, I consider this a personal attack... The relevant cites were pointed out and acknowledged by me. Give it a rest.
Mike Johnston