Main Menu

shooting in Omaha, NB

Started by brasda91, December 06, 2007, 03:51:10 PM

brasda91

Any of our members affected by the mall shooting in Omaha yesterday?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

NEBoom

None that I know of.  They released the names of the dead today, nobody I recognized.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

PHall

I didn't know Omaha was in New Brunswick, CANADA!
NB is the abbreviation for New Brunswick.
NE is the abbreviation for Nebraska.

You know, that attention to detail stuff.

Pace

I talked with some friends that live in the area.  They're not aware of any of the victims being CAP members (i.e., no one from their squadron).  Although one of them did overhear "what?! he got shot in the arm?!!!" from a co-worker who was talking on the phone.
Lt Col, CAP

brasda91

Quote from: PHall on December 07, 2007, 05:47:43 AM

Well then what is the abbreviation for New England?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stonewall

Quote from: brasda91 on December 08, 2007, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 07, 2007, 05:47:43 AM

Well then what is the abbreviation for New England?

New England isn't a sate.  But when the Patriots are playing they put "NE".
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

So a very serious issue sidetracked because a guy used the wrong abbreviation.  

I am wondering, the media is saying he had an "AK-47".  Did he really, or was it an SKS?  Anyone have any info on that? 

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 08, 2007, 10:18:54 PM

You're right, but learning something irrelevant of the topic is still learning.  But yes, you're still right.

You know, I pray that these types of things don't happen.  But you know, it always ticks me off that I'm not there to do something about it.  A similar situation happened in a Maryland mall, I think fairly recently.  An off duty cop responded and killed the guy before he could kill anyone.
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

I am wondering, the media is saying he had an "AK-47".  Did he really, or was it an SKS?  Anyone have any info on that? 

Could have easily been a semi-auto AK (real easy to come by), but it wouldn't matter for the media. AK-47 sounds so much more terrifying. I've also noticed the media loves using the word "Automatic" to describe semi-auto firearms. Again, it sounds more terrifying.

As to this incident, I'm not sure. Check the Brady Campaign website. They always have all the facts straight without trying to mislead anyone. >:D 
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

NEBoom

There continues to be confusion about this.  The Police Chief in Omaha said during their initial press conference that it was an AK-47, and was firing SKS rounds (gave the caliber in millimeters, but I don't remember it now).  I'm not a big gun guy so I'm not sure if this even makes sense.  Anyway it was a semi-automatic assault rifle, either a genuine AK, or an SKS.  My understanding is they're practically the same weapon anyway.  Kind of like the difference between an M-16 and an AR-15.  You have to be in to guns way more than I am to even tell the difference.

So, not to defend the media, but they got the whole "AK-47" thing from the Police Chief himself.  Can't really blame them for the confusion this time.  It is what they were told initially.

Also not to fault the Chief.  It was a hell of a day for them last Wednesday.  :'(
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Stonewall

AK-47 and SKS both use 7.62 x 39 ammo.

SKS:
Semi-Automatic
Non-removable Magazine varying capacities
7.62x39mm Cartridge

AK-47:
Semi or Fully Automatic (most are semi)
Removable magazine. Capacity from 10 to 75+ rounds (30 is common)
7.62x39mm Cartridge

Think of the SKS kind of like a Russian version of the M1 Garand and the AK as their version of the M16 (except both fire the same cartridge). The AK is just the modern replacement. Your body armor won't know the difference though.  Both should be treated with caution.

To the "untrained" a SKS with a 30 round magazine could easily be mistaken for a AK.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Johnny Yuma

From the security video, it appears to be an AK.

There's a bunch of concealed carry activists here in KS that are protesting shopping malls today that are posted for no concealed carry. Today was Day 2.

The Duckwalls in my little burg is posted. Someone put up a sign below the sign saying "Worked in Nebraska, didn't it?"
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

NEBoom

Quote from: MIKE on December 09, 2007, 03:35:33 AM
AK-47
SKS

Yeah, I probably could have looked them up myself.  Somehow I wasn't in the mood though, hope you understand...

OK, the only photo they released (that I've seen anyway) that shows him with the weapon is inconclusive, IMO.  All you can clearly see is the front sight.  Can't tell for sure if it has the pistol grip or not.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was the AK.  It appears the sight is standing up a little taller than it would be on an SKS.  Guess I'm going to defer to the Police, surely they can tell the two apart, and they have the weapon...
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

NEBoom

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2007, 04:03:16 AM

There's a bunch of concealed carry activists here in KS that are protesting shopping malls today that are posted for no concealed carry. Today was Day 2.

The Duckwalls in my little burg is posted. Someone put up a sign below the sign saying "Worked in Nebraska, didn't it?"
This was the case in Omaha (as you all probably know).  The mall is posted for no concealed carry.  Would it have made a difference?  I'd like to think so, but we'll never know.  By all accounts this deal went down very quickly.

[off topic]
Oh, and speaking of protesters, word is Fred Phelps and his band of merry idiots will be protesting there, or did today.  Hope it was today as we had a strong North wind with sleet/snow all day.  Their same nonsense about this being more punishment from God because we tolerate gays.
[/off topic]
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: NEBoom on December 09, 2007, 04:16:42 AM

This was the case in Omaha (as you all probably know).  The mall is posted for no concealed carry.  Would it have made a difference?  I'd like to think so, but we'll never know.  By all accounts this deal went down very quickly.

[off topic]
Oh, and speaking of protesters, word is Fred Phelps and his band of merry idiots will be protesting there, or did today.  Hope it was today as we had a strong North wind with sleet/snow all day.  Their same nonsense about this being more punishment from God because we tolerate gays.
[/off topic]

FWIW, it's being reported on other boards that there may have been as many as 3-4 people with permits (disarmed due to signs) that were close enough to the shooter to see him shooting. Even if there was only 1...

Wonder if Shirley Phelps-Roper is bring her kid and her flag for another juvenile delinquency charge?
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JCW0312

Quote from: NEBoom on December 09, 2007, 04:08:25 AM
Quote from: MIKE on December 09, 2007, 03:35:33 AM
AK-47
SKS

Yeah, I probably could have looked them up myself.  Somehow I wasn't in the mood though, hope you understand...

OK, the only photo they released (that I've seen anyway) that shows him with the weapon is inconclusive, IMO.  All you can clearly see is the front sight.  Can't tell for sure if it has the pistol grip or not.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was the AK.  It appears the sight is standing up a little taller than it would be on an SKS.  Guess I'm going to defer to the Police, surely they can tell the two apart, and they have the weapon...

An easy way to tell them apart from a distance is by looking at the space between the magazine and the trigger guard. There's a few inches between the mag and trigger guard on the SKS, but not on the AK.

There are a lot of things you can do to make your SKS look like an AK, but you can't change the magazine and trigger locations.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2007, 03:59:38 PM
Quote from: NEBoom on December 09, 2007, 04:16:42 AM

[off topic]
[/off topic]

FWIW, it's being reported on other boards that there may have been as many as 3-4 people with permits (disarmed due to signs) that were close enough to the shooter to see him shooting. Even if there was only 1...

Sad. When will people learn that criminals and wackos don't care about a sign?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144