Main Menu

Any WordPress pros in here?

Started by Walkman, October 22, 2007, 10:26:58 PM

Walkman

I'm working on the new sqdn site and decided  to use WordPress to manage it. I've never used WP, but my research pointed me there ar the best choice.

Problem is, I can't make heads or tails of the instructions now that its installed.

Can anyone help???!!!

Thanx!

Lancer

Kristian,

WP is pretty straightforward. Since the admin backend is GUI based, just poke around and look at your options. I think the first thing you want to do is find a template you like and install it, and tweak it as necessary. Or if your feeling saucy, create your own.  ;D

Here's a link to a wordpress based site I *just* put together for a neighboring squadron. http://glrmi135.miwg-cap.org/ There's no content yet, but you get the idea.

If you have any other questions, just e-mail me.

dwb

My squadron web site is done in Wordpress: http://syracusecap.org

Doesn't look like it, does it?  I did a custom theme to keep the site looking like it used to when I hand-coded everything.  I don't have comments enabled, and there aren't a lot of frills, but it's nice that multiple people can contribute news items.

The calendar on my web site is an iCal feed from a Google calendar, so I can add stuff on my Google calendar and it shows up automatically on the page.

The level of customization I did required a lot of learning on my part.  I don't recommend it for people who are new to web site design and/or programming.

Walkman

I'll email both of you if you don't mind.

I've got a lot of years under my belt on the design-side of the web, and I can hack together a solid HTML/CSS page, but when it comes to php and advanced programming, that's out of my league. I normally hire a programming group out of Detroit for my web projects, but I've leaned on them a lot recently and don't want to strain the relationship. Plus, I'd really like to learn the basics of WordPress so I can use this for other personal projects.

a2capt

I'm also considering more and more using WordPress for our unit site. i've set up some others and found it to be very easy to get going and reliable.

The hardest thing you may find is setting up the mysql database, unless you have your site hosted at one of these ISPs that has a 'one click' install solution.

The most annoying thing you may run into when editing the site;

if you're uploading /wp-content/themes/xxxxx/style.css, you'll find that your site reverts back to the default theme.

If this happens, the absolute simplest hack fix is rename the directory your theme is to default, after renaming the original default to something else.

Even 2.3 has this issue.

Walkman

Quote from: a2capt on October 23, 2007, 03:17:02 AM

The hardest thing you may find is setting up the mysql database, unless you have your site hosted at one of these ISPs that has a 'one click' install solution.

Dreamhost. 1-click installs are so nice.

a2capt

Heh, Dreamhost, yeah- especially when they're not having wonky router problems  ;)

They are a great way to setup a WordPress site though and have a decently extensive self support wiki setup too.

JC004

Quote from: Walkman on October 23, 2007, 01:09:24 PM
Quote from: a2capt on October 23, 2007, 03:17:02 AM

Dreamhost. 1-click installs are so nice.

or BlueHost