Main Menu

CAP credit card

Started by brasda91, October 18, 2007, 03:48:05 PM

brasda91

Does anybody know of a credit card that supports CAP?  Our squadron has been discussing a credit card and I would like to get one that helps CAP with every purchase.  There used to be ads for one when we got the newspaper, but now with the magazine, there don't seem to be as many ads.  Any chance of getting a credit card in the squadrons name, where it isn't attached to someone's personal credit?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

jeders

Yes it is possible to get a credit card in the name of the squadron. There is the CAP credit card that they send applications around like once a year for. Wait a few months, one'll show up.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

O-Rex

Quote from: brasda91 on October 18, 2007, 03:48:05 PM
Does anybody know of a credit card that supports CAP?  Our squadron has been discussing a credit card and I would like to get one that helps CAP with every purchase.  There used to be ads for one when we got the newspaper, but now with the magazine, there don't seem to be as many ads.  Any chance of getting a credit card in the squadrons name, where it isn't attached to someone's personal credit?

Wing Banker precludes unit credit cards.

MBNA used to offer CAP-seal credit cards, a portion of which went to CAP-they were bought out by Bank of America.  I have one of those: it'll be interesting to see if I get another "CAP" card when my current one expires.

Psicorp

You mean you haven't been getting stuff in the mail about the CAP credit card?

Apply now and your first Vanguard purchase is on you!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

jeders

Quote from: O-Rex on October 18, 2007, 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on October 18, 2007, 03:48:05 PM

MBNA used to offer CAP-seal credit cards, a portion of which went to CAP-they were bought out by Bank of America.  I have one of those: it'll be interesting to see if I get another "CAP" card when my current one expires.

Ok, so I just read the regs, and I didn't see anything about units not being able to use credit cards if they are on the WBP.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

I think the question that was asked was not about a unit credit card, but rather a credit card that supports CAP, (however that question is, supports your local, specified unit, or national).

As for "not on WBP", units are not supposed to have accts of any kind. Thats the whole point of the WBP.

jayleswo

Actually, in CAWG, Wing is having the bank issue each unit a Visa card, with a low credit limit, to use for necessary expenses. Unit Commanders can opt out if they want to, but the cards should be showing up soon.

John Aylesworth, Lt Col
Commander PCR-CA-151
Sacramento, CA
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

James Shaw

Yes there is a credit card that supports CAP. I received the application in the mail a few days ago and called. I will get the card in 7-10 business days. I will get the info and put it on here when I can find the number.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

LtCol Hooligan

Actually, units should be able to get credit cards and have the statements sent directly to wing and be paid out of WBS.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the WBS crap- huh.  I mean we went from 2 signatures down to someone swiping a credit card.  Keep in mind your wing may make a reg prohibiting this, but right now, it is legal.  Units can also keep credit bearing accounts like CDs and such as well.  It is a pretty nice deal to keep some money earning interest instead of sending it all to wing and letting it sit there doing nothing.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

JohnKachenmeister

Erik:

Use of a debit or credit card was discussed from the earliest days when the Wing Banker was discussed.  Some vendors don't recognize purchase orders and don't want to wait on the promise of a check in a week or two.
Another former CAP officer

LtCol Hooligan

Correct- and as far as I have been told it is legal for squadrons to get credit cards.  I have been thinking about getting one for my squadron, but we have actually been able to use a wing visa/oil credit card for purchasing vehicle fuel and are working with Wing HQ on purchasing expensive items so members do not have to front the bill.  It is definitely more complicated than having a checkbook or a credit card, but it is doable.  Honestly, it just bugs me we have to resort to this with WBS.  It is just plain frustrating.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

mikeylikey

Quote from: jayleswo on October 18, 2007, 05:05:58 PM
Actually, in CAWG, Wing is having the bank issue each unit a Visa card, with a low credit limit, to use for necessary expenses. Unit Commanders can opt out if they want to, but the cards should be showing up soon.

John Aylesworth, Lt Col
Commander PCR-CA-151
Sacramento, CA

??  Sounds good to me.  Pizza and donuts every night!  As long as the card is paid off by the end of each cycle no harm no foul right??

Your kidding me!  There should be no Credit Cards issued to SQD's.  Bad things happen when there are 45+ credit cards floating around a Wing, when we can't even find the 20 that go with each airplane!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Every plane in my wing has a CAP credit card in it. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on October 18, 2007, 10:32:28 PM

You sure about that.....or is it walking around town with the Pilot?
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 18, 2007, 10:39:01 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 18, 2007, 10:32:28 PM

You sure about that.....or is it walking around town with the Pilot?
Yep, I'm sure. 

ADCAPer

Quote from: a2capt on October 18, 2007, 05:01:53 PM
As for "not on WBP", units are not supposed to have accts of any kind. Thats the whole point of the WBP.

Sorry, but you're both mistaken.

CAP Regulation 173-1, 11 February 2007

10. Credit Cards. Credit card use is permitted for units. In order to use credit cards, each unit will establish, in writing, a credit card usage and approval policy. This policy must be forwarded to the wing director of finance. Credit card accounts will be issued in the name of the CAP unit. Credit cards must be used for authorized purchases only. Credit cards will not be used for cash advances. Personal expenditures are not authorized including personal proficiency flying. Lost or stolen credit cards must be reported to the credit card issuer and the region/wing commander immediately. Aggregate balances must not exceed the credit limit. All usage must be documented with receipts. All losses incurred from the use of these credit cards will be the responsibility of the unit.

BlackKnight

Okay that's enough. CAP should do away with regulations altogether.  It's quite obvious from this thread that almost no one bothers to read them.   But I already knew that... >:(
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

mikeylikey

Quote from: ADCAPer on October 18, 2007, 11:32:55 PM

Quote from: a2capt on October 18, 2007, 05:01:53 PM

Sorry, but you're both mistaken.

CAP Regulation 173-1, 11 February 2007

10. Credit Cards. Credit card use is permitted for units. In order to use credit cards, each unit will establish, in writing, a credit card usage and approval policy. This policy must be forwarded to the wing director of finance. Credit card accounts will be issued in the name of the CAP unit. Credit cards must be used for authorized purchases only. Credit cards will not be used for cash advances. Personal expenditures are not authorized including personal proficiency flying. Lost or stolen credit cards must be reported to the credit card issuer and the region/wing commander immediately. Aggregate balances must not exceed the credit limit. All usage must be documented with receipts. All losses incurred from the use of these credit cards will be the responsibility of the unit.

So we say "SQD's you can't be trusted to run your finances, but hell go get yourself a credit card".  The WBP was a slap in the face by NHQ to every decent run SQD.  I see no difference between having a credit card at SQD level or access to a bank account at SQD level.  The Bank Account at least would "RUN OUT" when overdrawn.
What's up monkeys?

BlackKnight

The difference (and the bottom line) is that wing owns the account and ultimately contols all the funds because they have signature authority on the account.  If you use the squadron credit card for unauthorized purchases, wing has the right to decide not to pay the bill.  Then whomever's credit was used to get the card is going to get hammered, but CAP monies will be preserved. (Hopefully.)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

smj58501

I think a new topic is needed relating to CAP Units having credit cards for conducting squadron business. The original post on this thread related to personal credit cards with CAP's name on them, and with a kickback to the CAP unit in question.

With that said, I do find it somewhat concerning that we would promote and put our names on such a card. Consumer debt is a record levels, and the last thing we should be doing is encouraging people to spend money they don't have by saying "a portion of your purchace goes back to a good cause". I am fully aware people make the choice to swipe their cards, but people also make a choice to put a cigarette in their pie hole and light it up. I would not want a CAP brand of cigarette, and for the same reason I do not want a CAP "commemorative" credit card. Yes I do know they exist already because I have shredded many of the applications (along with ones from my college and other organizations I belong to), but in light of the consumer debt crisis I think it is something our organization needs to rethink.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP