Main Menu

Cadet of the Year

Started by Greg, February 15, 2005, 12:51:03 PM

Greg

I know all wings have Phase IV COY's (or at least should), but which wings out there also have COY's for the other phases?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

whatevah

DE Wing does the Cadet Officer of the Year (any grade, but the lower grades won't be sent to Region) and the Cadet NCO of the year.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Yoda

My squadron does C/NCO of the Year and C/Officer of the Year.  I wasn't aware that you had to be a phase IV cadet to advance beyond wing, but I've never really studied the rules and regs pertaining to it.

CAPSGT

MDWG does Cadet NCO of the year, Cadet Junior Officer of the year (Phase III cadets), and Cadet of the Year (Phase IV cadets).
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Briski

OHWG has it set up the same way as MDWG. The only difference is that we call them Honor Cadet (Phase II), Outstanding Junior Officer (Phase III) and Cadet of the Year (Phase IV).
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

sjtrupp

NE Wing has the traditional Cadet of the Year that gets sent to Region, then a Cadet of the Year for cadets that have not received their <<Earhart>> (not) Spaatz.

The Traditional Award is named the Col Earle C. Reynolds Award, after the first NE Wing CC, I think. 

The one for the Cadets who have not received the Earhart is the Rickenbacker Award.  There was some talk of changing it to The Lt Shane Osborn Award, but that died down.

CAPSGT

Quote from: sjtrupp on February 16, 2005, 12:08:38 AM
NE Wing has the traditional Cadet of the Year that gets sent to Region, then a Cadet of the Year for cadets that have not received their Spaatz.

So essentially the message that NEWG is sending is that if you haven't gotten your Spaatz award, but still meet all of the  criteria for COY and perhaps are overall a better candidate for region cadet of the year, the spaatz cadet automatically gets it?  To me, that is too much of an emphasis on one thing.  The award is supposed to be about cadets who have achieved success in various arenas.

We have a C/Col in MDWG that has never been the MDWG COY, and in fact has been beat out by C/Lt Cols the last 2 years.  To me, this sends the message that cadets should strive to be well rounded individuals who are prepared to lead the next generation into the future; not that "the Spaatz award is all that matters."

[/rant]
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

sjtrupp

Sorry, Big Brain Fart, second on this board.  The NE Traditional one is for those that have received their Earhart, not just Spaatz recipients.  The second is for those who haven't received their Earhart.

Greg

The way NJWG does it is we have a COY for each phase.  However, they don't necessarily have to be inthat phase.  For example, if there's a cadet who spent most of the year in Phase II, but got his Mitchell in November, he'd still apply for Phase II COY because that was where he spent the majority of the year.  Obviously only the Phase IV (and Spaatz) COY gets sent on to region.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

playingwithfire

Quote from: whatevah on February 15, 2005, 05:46:09 PM
DE Wing does the Cadet Officer of the Year (any grade, but the lower grades won't be sent to Region) and the Cadet NCO of the year.

ME Wing also does the same with the Cadet Officer of the Year.  I remember one year I was nominated when I wasn't even an Earhart cadet yet.  Then I got nominated again, and ending up getting it.  I didn't go to region because it conflicted with school.