Main Menu

National Blue Beret

Started by Schmidty06, February 15, 2005, 05:26:58 AM

Schmidty06

Yes, that's right.  I am rehashing my CS NCSA post from CS in this forum.  The thread on CS kind of got hijacked in the end, anyway.  So, any and all Blue Berets (for this thread, only, please?) that want to share stories of good times had, bad times had, and any hints and tips about how to get a better experience out of NBB for new and returning Berets?  We'll make a little NBB support group of it, that we will, lol.

Nathan

It wasn't hijacked, as far as I know.

Anywho, uh, it's a good activity. I'm not so good at starting these things up. It's fun. There.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

CAPSGT

NBB, sweet activity, been there 3 times (twice on staff), 'nuff said. :)
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

I think that it turned into a berets are Good/berets are Bad arguement a ways into it instead of about the activity.

CAPSGT

this time of year it always turns into "how hard is it to get into NBB?"  I think the debate over the "what's the big deal?" was actually one of the best discussions that has ever gone on in the NBB section.  It tends to go in phases throughout the year (Late spring-early summer: "here's whats goin on this year" from somebody on the inside", mid-summer-late fall: "Hey!  I know you from NBB this summer!  Remember this?", Late fall-Late Spring: "How hard is it to get in?  Should I apply?  When do I find out if I got in?")

dark_side#2

Hard to get in??  I was excepted 3 times and turned them down twice,  as far as what I think about the activity in general; It was ok, I hated the fact it turned into a summer camp with NO discipline after about 8:00pm.  If you LOVE airplanes, most of the crap that goes on can be overlooked, especially if you don't know about it. (which was not my case)  I don't want to discourage anybody but I don't plan to return, at least until I turn Sr.

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: dark_side#2 on February 18, 2005, 03:01:46 AM
Hard to get in??  I was excepted 3 times and turned them down twice,  as far as what I think about the activity in general; It was ok, I hated the fact it turned into a summer camp with NO discipline after about 8:00pm.  If you LOVE airplanes, most of the crap that goes on can be overlooked, especially if you don't know about it. (which was not my case)  I don't want to discourage anybody but I don't plan to return, at least until I turn Sr.

Well I'm glad you didn't have to write a grammar essay to be "excepted" into National Blue Beret.  I was accepted twice, but had to turn one down because of IACE.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

dark_side#2

Hay, I'm not winning a spelling B but I got my point across

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: dark_side#2 on February 18, 2005, 03:52:36 PM
Hay, I'm not winning a spelling B but I got my point across

What year did you attend NBB?
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

whatevah

proper spelling goes a long way to keeping the moderators happy.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

dark_side#2

I attended NBB last summer, 04

[mod edit: removed attempt at humor ~JH]

dark_side#2

Come on, what's the deal? ???  I didn't break any of your rules, If you don't like my "attempt at humor" just say so. :-\  Why don't you save your god powers for a post that needs it? ;)

SarDragon

While it appears that you are a senior member, your attitude, including your sig, comes across as that of a spoiled 13 year old [apologies to the unspoiled 13 year olds].

If you have something to contribute, do so. If you want to do a little humour, in good taste, go for it. This forum is here to inform, exchange information, and have a little fun, too. It is not a bully pulpit.

The quality of your post tells us a lot about your character. If you don't pay attention to detail when typing a post, especially to the extent that your error changes the meaning, how might we know that you will not have any better attention to detail in an ES situation?

On top of that, your castigation of the person who corrected your spelling was exactly the wrong way to approach the situation. Thank him/her, move on, and work a little harder on your grammar and spelling next time.

As for the "god powers" thing, it appears that you see yourself above the rules, in your own godhood.

Now, folks, let's take this back on track, talking about NBB.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dark_side#2

CAPSGT

wow, I missed a bunch here in my neverending day.  As for the comment about NBB turning into "Summer Camp" after 8.....would you rather be treated like you are Joe Cadet Airman at your basic encampment the whole time?  I've been 3 times.  Once as a basic, once as a flight commander, once as cadet commander.

When I was a basic, my flight commander tried to run it like a basic encampment.  As a C/Capt at the time, I didn't particularly care for being treated like Joe Cadet Airman.

When I was a flight commander, I decided that I was not going to run my flight like my flight commander the year before did.  I looked at the cadets I had in my flight.  The most junior cadet was a fairly mature C/SSgt.  I only had one or two other NCOs in the flight.  As a result, I treated my flight like they were at the level of training and maturity that they were; Primarily phase 3 and 4 cadets who were between 16 and 18 years old.

When I was cadet commander, I let the flight commanders run their flights how they wanted, but I tried to throw some fun in there.  The cadets did a lot of work during the day (more than I did at my mostly manual labor summer job), and deserved some time to relax and unwind.  It also provided them an opportunity to get to know people outside their own flights so that hopefully they would get to know cadets whom they would otherwise never get to know without attending an NCSA.  Networking is an invaluable skill that is not really talked about within the cadet program, but is nonetheless important.

YMMV

-Mike Crockett
NBB'00
NBB'01-Bravo Flight Commander
NBB'03-Cadet Commander

Schmidty06

I think that in many ways, NBB is the closest that CAP is ever going to get to having an active duty component.

Greg

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 19, 2005, 06:30:29 PM
I think that in many ways, NBB is the closest that CAP is ever going to get to having an active duty component.

??? ??? ???

In what way is NBB at all related to active duty?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

In no way at all, but it is closer to having something in common to active duty than the rest of CAP.

To my knowledge, it is the only planned operational CAP activity in existance.  Its kind of the way that people relate basic encampment to military basic training, but on the oposite side of the spectrum.

Greg

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 19, 2005, 06:44:09 PM
In no way at all, but it is closer to having something in common to active duty than the rest of CAP.

To my knowledge, it is the only planned operational CAP activity in existance.  Its kind of the way that people relate basic encampment to military basic training, but on the oposite side of the spectrum.

Ohhhhh, ok.  I thought you were trying to say that going to NBB was almost like being active duty for a week.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

Yeah, like I'd try to bring more bad feelings down on NBB?  lol.  Oh well. 

On the "After 8 Summer Camp" bit, do you honestly think that you can throw 120 young men into the middle of about 1 million people (of which, maybe half are females) and expect them to NOT want to off compound after the work day is done?  Heh.  Plus, there are the nightly events at the theater in the woods where aviation gurus just sit back and chat, and the occasional hour of free time to go and watch/participate in some of the events in the forums.  And then there's the War Birds girls to go and talk to, and the drunken women to creatively avoid (there's a true story behind that one), and visiting girl friends to visit and the like. 

flying Raptor

Does anyone know where to get a packing list for NBB?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
A clean (and dry) set of BDU's is a magnet for mud and rain.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. -Murphy's laws

CAPSGT

the page is slightly out of date, but the packing list really doesn't change much, if at all, from year to year.

http://www.ncr.cap.gov/blue_beret/index.html

Schmidty06

If nothing else, bring a camera with lots of film. 

Pace

Schmidty, are you applying for a staff position this year?

As for what to bring, also consider the following:
Febreeze
Mole Skin
a real poncho (DON'T bring an emergency poncho!!!)
Extra squadron coins/patches (for trading)

What not to bring:
Goldbond (NO, NO, NO!!!)
Lt Col, CAP

Mac

Hopefully I will be able to bring more GT coins this year, I even have a design for an NBB coin, but I need to pass that past Col Glasgow before I get those made $$$$
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Pace

Quote from: Nukem on March 31, 2005, 08:19:09 PM
Hopefully I will be able to bring more GT coins this year, I even have a design for an NBB coin, but I need to pass that past Col Glascow before I get those made $$$$

Oh very cool.  I don't remember the GT coins last year.  I would have tried to buy one (if not multiple coins if the quantity was available).  I'll make sure to bring some of my squadron's challenge coin to trade for other cool stuff.

As for the NBB challenge coin, I think that would be really nice to have.  Personally, I think all NCSAs should have a challenge coin.  Is there any way you could e-mail a pic of what you have in mind?  If so, my e-mail is DCPacemaker@aol.com  I don't plan on giving my spin on the coin design since you have an idea of what you want.  I'm just curious to see what it looks like.

Thanks.
Lt Col, CAP

ranger1716

how much spending money do you all reccomend bringing for the little extras I assume I'll find there.

Mac

I think last year i spent about $100 on little goodies here and there, but us seniors on the ES team used to go out most nights for food and such.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Schmidty06

Quote from: dcpacemaker on March 31, 2005, 05:53:27 AM
Schmidty, are you applying for a staff position this year?

As for what to bring, also consider the following:
Febreeze
Mole Skin
a real poncho (DON'T bring an emergency poncho!!!)
Extra squadron coins/patches (for trading)

What not to bring:
Goldbond (NO, NO, NO!!!)

Ok, definately get a REAL poncho, Pace here looked absolutely REDICULOUS ( :P Pace, you know I'm kidding :D) and don't listen to him when it comes to Goldbond.  Goldbond is a wonderful item, Goldbond is your friend.  Just take into account that once you leave NBB that "male bonding" will have an ENTIRELY different meaning to you.  :D

flying Raptor

Quote from: CAPSGT on March 19, 2005, 03:49:21 AM
the page is slightly out of date, but the packing list really doesn't change much, if at all, from year to year.

http://www.ncr.cap.gov/blue_beret/index.html

Thanks I alreday printed that one, I need one for 2005 though. I also need a shedule and any forms that need to be filled out(I:E shirt size and hat size forms). I would get the ones from the site but I don't know if they are going to change this year.
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Mac

Here is a copy of a post from Cadetstuff.org concerning NBB this year

Quote from: C/Lt Col Montgomery, DerekOkay guys here is the scoop. I saw some posts about wanting to know who the staff this year at NBB is and when information will be coming out. As most of you know the slotting has been completed and cancellations have already started coming in. I am the NBB C/CC for 2005. C/Maj Aaron Church is the C/DCC and C/Lt Col Magda Kozak is the C/XO. Col Glasgow has been hard at work with some cadet programs stuff at national and you have to remember that he also has a region to run. However the cadet handbook was finished yesterday and the packets should be finished sometime within the week. I would start expecting your packets within the next two weeks. Don't quote me but that is my best guess. As far as buying tickets for planes or busses, I would wait until after your packets get to you. The handbook will be your responsibility to print and bring with you. It will be accessible on the NBB website within the the next two weeks or so. If you have any questions about Beret this year feel free to ask me. Send me a private message and I will get back to you in a timely manner. Hope to see all of you there!!!

So the website should be updated in about a week or two and the packets should be out about the same time. Hope this helps.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

flying Raptor

c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Mac

No problem, and be sure to say hi when you get to Oshkosh this year, I'll be the ES guy with the Burgundy Expedition parked in front of the ES shack..    :D  And just remember the ES team is not grouchy, we're just tired!!!!
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Schmidty06

Wait, the burgandy is in the expidition?  ;D

CAPSGT

Quote from: Nukem on April 06, 2005, 08:08:28 PM
And just remember the ES team is not grouchy, we're just tired!!!!

You weren't around in the days of the king of ES shack grumpiness.  Cadets and seniors alike would get screamed at for simply walking in the door.  Even the commander got yelled at for it.  That guy wasn't invited back. 

The ES crowd nowadays is tame, regardless of what they want us to think. ;)

Mac

Quote from: CAPSGT on April 08, 2005, 02:18:54 PM
You weren't around in the days of the king of ES shack grumpiness.  Cadets and seniors alike would get screamed at for simply walking in the door.  Even the commander got yelled at for it.  That guy wasn't invited back. 

The ES crowd nowadays is tame, regardless of what they want us to think. ;)

I am familiar with who you are talking about, thats all the ES staff talked about last year, was the guy from the year before. He was working with WI wing last year during NBB, and stopped by a few times to get paperwork and such.

That was the joke last year, towards the end, people would walk in and the ES staff would start yelling "What do you want? Where is your paperwork? Get out!" then everyone would start laughing.

Oh what fun.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

flying Raptor

Whats the ES team do? What will we(the regular guys) do? And where can I find out all this information about the NBB?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Mac

The ES team is comprised 8-10 senior members who run the ES portion of NBB. When a flight is on ES duty they are responsible for locating all the ELT's and overdue aircraft on the airfield during EAA Airventure. We due this by operating 2 golf carts and 2 towers. The carts are used for searching the entire field for ELT's and locating the overdue aircraft. The towers are used to record the tail numbers of al aircraft landing at Whitman field during the airshow and also to help triangulate DF signals for the carts.

All Cadets will rotate between Flightline, Warbirds, ES, and last year Ultra lights, if I remember correctly. And at least one evening you get to leave the airfield with your TACO for a night on the town. You also get free time during the day to enjoy the airshow. Hope this helps.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

flying Raptor

Yep, thanks. What are warbirds,ED,Ultra Lights and a TACO?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Mac

Quote from: flying Raptor on April 10, 2005, 01:32:31 PM
Yep, thanks. What are warbirds,ED,Ultra Lights and a TACO?

Ok here we go; Warbirds is when cadets work crowd control in the Warbird (WWII aircraft) parking area. Ultra Lights; is like working Flightline, but only with the ultra lights. and a TACO, is the senior member assigned to each flight know as the Tac Officer or TACO for short.

I had a little typo ED should have been ES
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

flying Raptor

Sounds like NBB is worth the money. Can't wait.
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Schmidty06

I find it funny and somewhat ironic that I was in Golf Flight, and on our night out we went mini-golfing at the putt-putt course right accross the street from the airport

CAPSGT

Back in my day, we didn't go mini-golfing, or to the movies on our night out.  Aside from going to Ardy & Ed's (that's just plain tradition), the highlight of our night was going to Wal-Mart!  I can't remember if the extended nights out started in '02 or '03.

Mac

I seem to remember a few nights that the ES team would leave the compound and head strait to Ardy & Ed's. Of couse that was before the airshow started, once we went operational we were to busy to get off compound before 10pm.

The ES team has a rough life.  ;D
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Schmidty06

I actually saved and still have my Ardy and Ed's burger wrapper from when we went there.  Also, my flight leader made a nice little drawing about why guys can't be Ardy and Ed's wait staff which they hung in the restaurant.  Going to have to go back and find it this year.

flying Raptor

Do NBB graduates get to wear the NCSA patch on their left sholder? Is this patch the 8ball with a beret on? Is the NBB simlier to a school where you work for a week or so and gradute at the end?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Pylon

Quote from: flying Raptor on April 16, 2005, 03:18:52 PM
Do NBB graduates get to wear the NCSA patch on their left sholder? Is this patch the 8ball with a beret on? Is the NBB simlier to a school where you work for a week or so and gradute at the end?

Yep.  NBB graduates can wear the NCSA ribbon on their uniforms, plus they have the opportunity to earn the right to wear the Search and Rescue ribbon and the Find ribbon over the course of the weekend.  Graduates can also wear the NCSA patch on the BDUs, and you're right, it's an 8-ball with a blue beret on it.

NBB is like the other NCSAs in that, yes, you are considered a "graduate" of the program and receive a certificate and other things if you go through the entire time period without dropping out or getting kicked out.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pace

Going off what Pylon said,  NBB is designed to give you basic training in comms and DF use and flight line signaling (fancy hand waving that many pilots have trouble understanding).  After a few days of training, you go operational (the airshow starts), and you put to use the skills you learned.  As with any other NCSA patch, it cannot be worn on blues, and it must go on the right shoulder of the BDUs.

It's a great activity.  If you haven't been, I encourage you to apply next year.  The only NCSA I've been to that was better was Civic Leadership Academy, and nothing beats touring the Supreme Court, DoD, State Department, Arlington Cemetery, and CIA HQ in the same week.
Lt Col, CAP

flying Raptor

I applied for NBB this year and was accepted. I can't wait, I have heard so many good things about it. Touring CIA HQ sounds like a real treat. I would want to see the NSA HQ.
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Pace

Quote from: flying Raptor on April 16, 2005, 08:06:59 PM
I applied for NBB this year and was accepted. I can't wait, I have heard so many good things about it. Touring CIA HQ sounds like a real treat. I would want to see the NSA HQ.

I should have read earlier posts to see you are going to NBB this summer.

Anyway, if you want to tour the CIA and all of the others I listed, you can apply to the Civic Leadership Academy in October or November.  It runs from late Feb or early March.  The one catch is that you have to have your Mitchell to apply.  I actually don't remember there being any second lieutenants; however, there were several 1st Lts, a bunch of captains and lieutenant colonels, one major I think, and one colonel.  Only three cadets per region are accepted.  It's worth it if you get in.

That reminds me.  I need to e-mail Maj Gen Wheless and get those challenge coins he promised me and Bell.
Lt Col, CAP

flying Raptor

I sent my payment in, should I be expecting some sort of information(paperwork, hat size shirt size, ect.) via my Squadron Commander or via snail mail,E-mail?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Schmidty06

You'll get a packet via snail mail.

Mac

If still haven't gotten your packet you can get the info off of the NBB site at National HQ.

National Blue Beret 2005 NCSA

Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Schmidty06

This should bring back some memories from NBB '04.  The picture was taken during the last formation before the banquet.  Everyone except the Alpha Flight Commander is in it...  :-[ sorry!

flying Raptor

How picky is NBB about the black socks? I only have green socks  :-\
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Pace

Green socks=bad
Black socks=good

You're going to want to get black socks.  You're only supposed to be wearing black or white socks with BDUs anyway (reference CAPM 39-1, Table 2-3, 5. Socks).

EDIT: Make sure to buy the thick black socks and some gel insoles for your boots.  Also bring some mole skin for when you get pressure sores.  Trust me, you'll be glad to have all of those.
Lt Col, CAP

Pace

I still wish I could get my hands on that kid who kept taking Golf Flight's clothing out of the dryer, putting it on the dirty floor, and putting his nasty wet boots into the dryer.  When we would put our stuff back in the dryer, he would come back through and put our cloths back on the floor and his boots back in the dryer.  After the third time he did that (third time's a charm) in 30 minutes, I bet he had a hell of a time finding his boots considering they ended up somewhere in the boyscout camping area.
Lt Col, CAP

Schmidty06

You're evil, Dan, you're sooo evil.  :D  But seriously, I thought that you had either threw/placed them somewhere within the compound somewhere, but not the explorers camp.

Pace

Quote from: Schmidty06 on May 08, 2005, 06:21:49 PM
You're evil, Dan, you're sooo evil.  :D
8) I know.  I have to be.  I'm turning to the dark side in 1 month and 16 days.
Quote from: Schmidty06 on May 08, 2005, 06:21:49 PM
But seriously, I thought that you had either threw/placed them somewhere within the compound somewhere, but not the explorers camp.
Nope, I got so pissed it was either toss to boots or toss the cadet (and I really didn't feel like getting 2b'ed that day).  I opened the door by the dryer, look for an open space in the explorer's camping area, and threw the wet boots are far as I could.  Then I put our cloths back in the dryer and what do you know they were dry when I woke up the next morning.
Lt Col, CAP

Schmidty06

Heh, ouch. 

So there's going to be 12 flights this year instead of 11, wow.  Does this mean that they built the extra barracks building that they were talking about or is that still on the drawing board?

Pace

Quote from: Schmidty06 on May 16, 2005, 08:41:57 PM
So there's going to be 12 flights this year instead of 11, wow.  Does this mean that they built the extra barracks building that they were talking about or is that still on the drawing board?

Didn't you hear?  They're putting us up in the Hilton on the north side of the airport!!!  The staff even gets their own rooms, while in-flight cadets have to share a room.  Free continental breakfast, and morning formation at 11 AM.
Lt Col, CAP

Schmidty06

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 16, 2005, 08:47:24 PM

Didn't you hear? They're putting us up in the Hilton on the north side of the airport!!! The staff even gets their own rooms, while in-flight cadets have to share a room. Free continental breakfast, and morning formation at 11 AM.

LAME!  lol

flying Raptor

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 16, 2005, 08:47:24 PM

Didn't you hear?  They're putting us up in the Hilton on the north side of the airport!!!  The staff even gets their own rooms, while in-flight cadets have to share a room.  Free continental breakfast, and morning formation at 11 AM.

I almost thought he was serious for a second. When is the handbook suppose to come out?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Schmidty06

You're supposed to go to the NBB website and print up your own.  Or so the rumor goes.

flying Raptor

Yeah I went there but I don't see it.
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Pace

Quote from: flying Raptor on May 25, 2005, 01:31:59 PM
Yeah I went there but I don't see it.
www.cap.gov/nbb

Use that link, and at the bottom of the page are links to all of the documents you need.
Lt Col, CAP

A1Steaksauce

I am interested in NBB and i have a few questions:
Is it like basic encampment where there's tons of yelling and screaming all the time?
How long is it?
Can i apply for staff if i haven't been once before?

Thanks

Pace

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on September 08, 2006, 09:33:22 PM
Is it like basic encampment where there's tons of yelling and screaming all the time?
How long is it?
No. Check cap.gov. Yes.
Lt Col, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: dcpacemaker on September 08, 2006, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: A1Steaksauce on September 08, 2006, 09:33:22 PM
How long is it?
No. Check cap.gov. Yes.

If I didn't know better, I'd say DC's response was making a reference to the 8-ball "logo/mascot" of NBB.    Yes... no... maybe... check cap.gov.  ;)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Chris Jacobs

That was one of the most beautifully answerers that i think i have ever seen.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SarDragon

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on September 09, 2006, 02:18:07 AM
That was one of the most beautifully answerers that i think i have ever seen.

And that is one of the most poorly crafted sentences I've seen in the last week!  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chris Jacobs

wow you are right.  that is an awful sentence.  I must have been half asleep when i wrote that.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

LC

Quote from: CAPSGT on February 15, 2005, 11:25:52 PM
NBB, sweet activity, been there 3 times (twice on staff), 'nuff said. :)

I've one been to NBB once, and plan on going back this year....it's a great activity!

capcadet101

How many cadets do they chose from each wing to go to NBB.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

Chris Jacobs

That varies.  It all depends on which wing you are from and how many cadets applied in totall.  I know from my wing 3 went last year.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

TankerT

Quote from: capcadet101 on December 09, 2006, 08:07:37 PM
How many cadets do they chose from each wing to go to NBB.

NBB (all NCSA's actually) doesn't reserve a specific number of slots each year per wing.  It's more complicated than that.  Some Wing may have 10 cadets selected out of 10 applicants, while another may have none selected out of 10 applicants.

A lot of it has to do where you are ranked in your wing in comparison t all other NCSA applicants, and how that figures into the complicated mathematical software that spits out who goes, and who doesn't.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Matt

Quote from: TankerT on December 15, 2006, 03:18:42 PM
[...]
A lot of it has to do where you are ranked in your wing in comparison t all other NCSA applicants, and how that figures into the complicated mathematical software that spits out who goes, and who doesn't.

Basically send hamster treats for the hamsters spinning the wheels down at Maxwell.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Newhall

I'm wondering what people thought of last summers NBB.  Is it worth going to go.
C/2d LT Newhall
Thunderbird Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-067

TankerT

If you like Airshows, then yes.  If you don't like Airshows, then no.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Chris Jacobs

The CAP activity at times what not the most exciting.  There were flight line shifts were you really didn't see any air planes come your way.  Then there were those shifts that were tons of fun.  The air show is amazing.  Every chance that i got i was walking through all the vendor stuff and i didn't get through it all.  To go through every thing you would have to spend like 5 days of non stop looking.  I would recommend going, but you need to want to work.

And the one time that you leave your poncho in the barracks because you haven't needed it in the past week and a half will be the one time you will need it.  I got stuck underneath a warbird bomb bay in an amazing down pour last year.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pace

I won't make any more specific comments than I already have since this past summer, but I've been 3 years in a row and just found out I will have the ability to attend this summer.  However, I will not be returning should either of 2 people be in attendance (and I am 99.99999999% sure they will both be there).

Good advice about Oshkosh weather.  Always have plenty of water and always keep a poncho (or gortex now that they're officially allowed).  We had one hell of a storm come through this past summer.  The sky had been overcast for a while, and we knew the bad stuff was probably coming towards us.  We just didn't know exactly when.  As I was checking up on South Tower (waaaaaay on the opposite end of the field), I got the call from base to secure the 2 cadets in the tower in the EAA building and RTB ASAP, if practicable.  I knew I needed about 3-5 minutes to RTB, and I figured with the call just going out I had it.  As I was just starting back, it started pouring rain.  No biggie.  I don't melt.  Then the rain got even harder to the point of killing my forward visibility.  Still no biggie since I was the only one on the roads.  THEN the hail started.  Beret Base didn't warn me of possible hail, otherwise I would have stayed at the EAA building near south tower.  It started small but within a minute it was marble sized, maybe bigger (it's now only been 1-2 minutes since the rain started).  Did I mention I was getting almost a direct headwind of 10-20 knots?  After being hit in the head/face twice with hail, I pulled the golf cart over and got under the most stable tent I could find: an EAA sales tent.  At least we had comfy lawn chairs to sit in until the rain subsided.
Lt Col, CAP

Chris Jacobs

i think for that one i was on the flight line.  I remember the van racing toward me as the rain was starting and every one was yellling to get in.  I thought sweet i don't need to finish my shift.  By the time rest of the flight was picked up and we were back at base the hail and amazing rain started.  I got soaked running the 20 feet to the door.  Then there was the amazing safety briefing issued by cadet Sgt Schmitt and cadet Lt Abhaisingh.  It was so amazingly funny.  They had found these two life jacket blowing down the flight line and picked them up.  Then when this Storm hit they put them on and were giving every one the started commercial air plane preflight safety thing (we have 4 exits.....).  Sorry you were stuck under the tent and missed their awesome performance.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pace

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on January 17, 2007, 06:04:22 PM
i think for that one i was on the flight line.  I remember the van racing toward me as the rain was starting and every one was yellling to get in.  I thought sweet i don't need to finish my shift.  By the time rest of the flight was picked up and we were back at base the hail and amazing rain started.  I got soaked running the 20 feet to the door.  Then there was the amazing safety briefing issued by cadet Sgt Schmitt and cadet Lt Abhaisingh.  It was so amazingly funny.  They had found these two life jacket blowing down the flight line and picked them up.  Then when this Storm hit they put them on and were giving every one the started commercial air plane preflight safety thing (we have 4 exits.....).  Sorry you were stuck under the tent and missed their awesome performance.

Carl Schmidt and I started NBB together back in 2004 in the same flight (back in my cadet days).  He's a great guy and quite funny.  I'm sorry I missed his "safety briefing" since, coming from him, I know it was hilarius.  I hear he's fighting sobriety these days in the Air Force at Sheperd (sp?).
Lt Col, CAP

Newhall

sounds like a great time and i appreciate all of the advice you folks gave. thanks.
C/2d LT Newhall
Thunderbird Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-067