Main Menu

The Coin Thread

Started by Stonewall, August 30, 2007, 05:08:47 AM

Stonewall

I have often thought that the "Challenge Coin" are much more appreciated than military awards and medals.  Usually, a medal is awarded a while, sometimes years, after the act or accomplishment, but a coin is an "on the spot" means of recognition.

Since I first joined the Army in 1991, coins have gone out of control.  I'm sure many veterans who served before me think this even moreso.

So, here it goes.  Post a picture of your collection, your fevorite coin, or even a story.

"Coin Check" Rules

1. A "Coin Check" consists of a challenge and response. A challenge is initiated by either holding your coin in the air or slamming it on a table or floor and yelling "Coin Check!"
2. Individual(s) challenged must respond by showing their Coin with their own unit's logo to the challenger within 10 seconds.
3. Anyone challenged who doesn't show their Coin must buy a round of drinks for all challenged, including the challenger.
4. Coin Checks are permitted anywhere and anytime.
5. If everyone being challenged produces their Coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for all challenged.
6. If you accidently drop your Coin and it makes an audible sound on impact, then you "accidentally" initiated a Coin Check.
7. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to clothed or un-clothed. One step and an arms reach are allowed.
8. A Coin is a Coin. They are not belt buckles, key chains or necklaces. Coins worn in a holder around the neck are valid.

Here is a picture of some of my coins.  I may have twice as many as this, but these are the ones that have the most meaning to me.

In there you'll see my Protective Services Unit (PSU) coin from my protection detail at the World Bank.  My airborne school coin.  Old Guard coin.  29th Infantry coin the unit I deployed to Bosnia with, 308th Rescue Squadron coin where I served in the Reserves, Secret Service coin given to me at the White House, SERE school coin, Sgt Maj of the Army Richard Kidd's coin, Chairman of the JCS General Shalikashvili coin, and others I won't go into great detail about.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

None for me, but my brother has 22, 1 is a two star challenge coin.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

Here's my favorite:

I received this from an Air Force Major assigned to the Air Force Auxiliary branch for the Air and Space Operations Directorate of Homeland Security (XOH).  I was on a class trip to the Pentagon and helped arrange a meeting with AF-XOH through the Major, who I had met at a wing conference.  At the time, Col Richard Anderson (Brig Gen, CAP) was the director of AF-XOH.

I'll post more from my collection later.   

Eagle400

Here's one of my favorite coins:

Got this one from the then-Commander of 20th AF: Maj Gen Timothy J. McMahon.  I was attending an Air Force promotion ceremony for a very good friend of mine I had met in CAP, and general McMahon presented me his coin for taking time out of school to come all the way to F.E. Warren AFB.     

Major Carrales

The only "medals" (numismatist's note: these are not really "coins" since the reverse/obverse is not in the configuration of a coin...if you flip a coin over, the reverse is upside down...a "medal/medallion" as the reverse the correct side up.) I would obtain would be for the Wing Conferences I have gone to and the PAO ACADEMY.

Also, should I ever attend an encampment.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Slim

This past summer, I was the vice commander at the GLR-N encampment.  This was my second year in the post, and really wanted to make a conscious effort to get out amongst my troops (cadet and senior).  One element of my leadership style is that I like to show the troops that I care about them, that I'm not afraid to get dirty with them, etc.

One of the ways I did this was to make a small investment at the BX on Monday morning.  I bought six generic, Air Force core values coins.  I kept one for myself, and carried the other five in my pocket.  I chose that particular coin because I like to think that I live up to those values.

On Monday night, while talking with a good friend of mine, a Lieutenant Colonel in the Canadian Forces, who was here as director of our RCLS.  Listening to him talk about his passion for leadership, and his dedication to a program that isn't officially his, I decided that he deserved one.  So done.

On Wednesday, I was observing his students on the confidence course, and asked him who was number one in the point standings, as well as embracing the teamwork that our RCLS instills in it's students.  He called C/2nd Lt Millard over, and I gave him a coin.

While there, I also observed a cadet who was so small he couldn't find BDUs to fit, and he only had one set.  His flight commander had loaned him his spare shirt that day (this shirt fit the cadet like a GP medium), I'm guessing he was about 12.  Watching the joy on this cadet's face as he completed obstacles, and kept saying that he couldn't believe he had done it was incredible.  So, I asked around and found out who he was (C/Amn Birch, from OHWG), and what flight he was in.  I caught up to him at lunch the next day.

As I sat down and asked him a few questions, if he knew who i was and what I did at encampment, stuff like that.  I told him how much I enjoyed watching him on the confidence course, and that was what kept me involved in CAP.  I told him I wanted him to have something, and slid the coin from under my arm.  Seeing the look on his face, and his reaction to it was just incredible.  While I didn't intend it, everyone in his flight saw what happened.

I gave another away later that day to C/A1C Crowe at the rappeling tower.  He had aborted on the rope twice with the instructors we were using.  The base fire dept was running the other tower for another youth camp at the same time.  The training officer and I went to talk to the chief about the cadet, and he agreed to run the cadet down their tower.  So, he took the cadet, spent about 20 minutes gearing him up, walking him around to see everything, then took him up the tower.  As he started up the tower, I told him that-if he came down the rope, I'd have something for him when he hit the bottom.  He came down that rope like a pro, with three flights of cadets (and quite a few seniors) cheering him on.  when he hit the bottom, I let his flight come and congradulate him first, then walked up and gave him a coin.  Again, the look on his face as he held it was just priceless.

All in all, I'd have to say that that was the best $30.00 I ever spent on a CAP activity.  

(By the way, I ended up giving my personal coin to a very good friend of mine who's attending a state military college, and going to commission into the Army after graduation, with two stipulations:  if anything happens to this person, I want it back, and I didn't ever want it back.)

Personally, I have four in my possession:  an original Alpena CRTC coin given to me by a former base commander, a CAP ground ops coin (one of Dan Pace's) compliments of swami114 on CS, a Team Coast Guard coin from ADM Allen (then commander of 9th CG District), and my most prized coin is from 7th SF group-unengraved, and given to me by the son of one of my high school teachers (who was a WO in the 7th).

Slim

JC004

because CLA rocks (this is the generic, mine says "2004" on that engraving area)...

ddelaney103

My coins tend to be a mix of given coins and bought coins. 

Coins are a lot easier to fit on the "I love me shelf" than coffee mugs and don't wear out like t-shirts.  The money spent on them is usually going to a morale fund.

SJFedor

Here's one that Lt Col John Desmaris, NHQ Deputy Director of Operations, gave to me this summer:

I have a few others, but this is the only one ever presented to me, so it means a lot. It goes wherever I go.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

It does seem as if there are tons of these things floating around so much so that the coin "rules" don't even make much sense anymore - what are we supposed to carry around 10 lbs of coins everywhere? 

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Eclipse

My coin rack / flag case.  I only carry my unit's coin unless I expect to be with a group of people from one of the other events.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I see you have the Ground Ops coin I created.  Did you buy it from me or get it from someone else?
Serving since 1987.

Becks

Quote from: SJFedor on August 31, 2007, 10:22:02 PM
No, you only need one.
Yup, all the BS about..."oh well I have one from higher ranking individual", or "Oh I have more than one on me, so you're buying the drinks"...is total BS.  You have a coin or you dont, end of story.

BBATW

SJFedor

Absolutely, the rules are real clear. Either you have or you don't. If everyone has, the person who initiated buys. Those who don't, buy.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on August 31, 2007, 10:54:05 PM
I see you have the Ground Ops coin I created.  Did you buy it from me or get it from someone else?

I assume you're talking about the bronze SARDog?  I got it from Midway-6.  it was the first coin I received and gets carried to most ES ops with me, including Katrina - it definitely shows the wear and I cherish every nick.

I reimbursed him for the expense, and got a second one for my best CAP buddy - it sat in my uniform case for nearly two years until he finished his ground rating and I presented him with it.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

I want one... :'(   (ES Coin that is)

I tried to order the one that was posted on CS a while back and never got a response
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

The coin Pacemaker and I worked on a while back is the large chrome one on the left.  My understanding was it was a limited run - I got two, and gave one as a gift to someone busting butt for me.

My suggestion would be to design your own and have them made. 5 of the coins you see were done
at incirlik coin.  50=$185 shipped, no charge for the art.  Takes about 30 days.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Or you could just bring one of the ones you and DP made to encampment 2008 ;D
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Sorry bub, my cold dead fingers and all that.   :D

"That Others May Zoom"