Main Menu

Unit Names Too Long Etc?

Started by MIKE, June 17, 2005, 06:28:20 PM

PHall

Semi Off Topic:

Why do we even have "Unit Flags"? Wings, Groups and Squadrons in the Air Force just have Guidons.
Much less expensive...

SarDragon

But you haven't given us any real benefits.

We don't need to be more like the AF. Our system has worked fine for as long as it's been in place. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You still haven't given us a reason why it's broken.

How is changing a word to a number cost effective? What are the gains?

BTW, Ohio wouldn't be the 51st Wing, it would likely be the 34th wing, IAW the list linked above.

But, IMHO, the idea still sux.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2010, 11:08:48 PM
BTW, Ohio wouldn't be the 51st Wing, it would likely be the 34th wing, IAW the list linked above.

HAHAHAHA.  They're getting mixed up already and they don't exist. 

Eagle400

Okay; I will drop this. 
(Thread Derailment anyway)   :(

The CyBorg is destroyed

I don't think the squadron type needs to be in the name; i.e., Senior, Composite, Cadet.

"Senior" sounds like it's an elderly folks' unit.

There's often a lot of crossover between "cadet" and "composite" squadrons in terms of the ratio of adult v. youth members.  I've seen "composite" squadrons with loads of cadets and maybe 5 adult members, and "cadet" squadrons with an almost 1:1 ratio of adults to cadets.

Some "geographical" possibilities:

001 Los Angeles (CAWG) Squadron
200 New York City (NYWG) Squadron
025 Bexar County (TXWG) Squadron
123 San Juan (PRWG) Flight

For units located on military installations:

030 Keesler AFB (MSWG) Squadron
109 Fort Benning (GAWG) Squadron
008 NAS Lemoore (CAWG) Flight
321 CGAS Kodiak (AKWG) Squadron

I'd bin all the "memorial" units...especially when they've been named that so long that many don't even know who they're named for.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Some memorial units actually make sure that new folks know about the person their squadron is named for.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CyBorg on May 11, 2010, 01:42:02 AM
"Senior" sounds like it's an elderly folks' unit.

They aren't?   >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Major Carrales

I support the "geographic" rational.  However, what would that mean?  Nearest city or nearest body of flowing water (shades of how Civil War battles are named).

Corpus Christi Comp Squadron has never really reflected the make up of the whole squadron more than Coastal Bend Comp Squadron would have.  Our unit involves persons from upwards of 80 miles in one direction and 40 in the other and potentially 100 if Laredo every wanted members.

Calling it Texas 026 would serve no external purpose.  And, some people deserve unit named after them for their service to CAP.

A tough call ripe with exceptions to every solution.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Your state is too freaking big, Joe.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2010, 03:27:20 AM
Your state is too freaking big, Joe.

Below shows Group V...

Our Unit basically covers Nueces, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Brooks, San Patricio, Live Oak, Duval, Jim Hogg and Kenedy Counties...sometims a bit more that that.  Victoria is to our North, McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville are to our south.  There are no units to the west all the way to Mexico.

Welcome to the FRONTIER!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

...and PAWG thought its previous 3 groups were too big.  I've got to check this out.  I wonder if that Southwest Airlines special to Corpus Christi from PHL is still going on...

I bet one of those western counties is the size of a New England state.  Heck, PA has a county the size of Rhode Island.

As for the topic (or morphed topic), that's why I'm not TOTALLY against the idea of having wings as maybe less than a state (especially, say Texas or California)...I am against the idea of just renaming them for no reason because it sounds cool.  I've been to Texas and California both.  Nevada isn't exactly small either... Man...hours on the train at night with like NO lights. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2010, 03:40:49 AM
...and PAWG thought its previous 3 groups were too big.  I've got to check this out.  I wonder if that Southwest Airlines special to Corpus Christi from PHL is still going on...

I bet one of those western counties is the size of a New England state.  Heck, PA has a county the size of Rhode Island.

As for the topic (or morphed topic), that's why I'm not TOTALLY against the idea of having wings as maybe less than a state (especially, say Texas or California)...I am against the idea of just renaming them for no reason because it sounds cool.

Our Group appears to Rival the size of Louisiana and, while the above map only shows Group V, this map...

Shows Group I to be almost as large geographically as the whole of NEW ENGLAND.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

That's OK, California still has the biggest county in CONUS - San Bernardino County.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh.. and California just doesn't even "bother" with some of the counties, though they are all covered, just with no units actually located in them, they don't seem to make the 'official' map.

Group 1 - Los Angeles County
Group 2 - San Francisco / Oakland and north central coast
Group 3 - Riverside & San Bernardino County (Inland Empire)
Group 4 - Ventura / Vandenberg, Central Coast
Group 5 - the Various Northern California counties shown
Group 6 - Central Valley, Bakersfield, Fresno, Atwater
Group 7 - San Diego / Orange County

There's a NVWG unit in CA because of the isolation. Two sets of mountains really divide this state quite well, and two sets of mentalities divide it the other way. All four seasons, expansive examples of all kinds of terrain and their challenges and the biggest county in the 48 states.

IceNine

My furthest unit is 2.5 hours away and they're lucky to see me twice a year.

I can't imagine literally needing a hotel and airline ticket to visit a unit.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

tdepp

We serve our communities and states.  If the SD Wing became the 40th Wing (our order of admission in the Union), that doesn't tell the public anything about us.  Say the South Dakota Wing of the CAP and that's pretty darn clear.

I can see an approval process for squadron names (is there one already?) to make sure the name is not offensive.  Again, here in SD, we have the Lookout Mountain Squadron and Big Sioux Squadron.  They are distinctive geological and historical names.  People in those areas understand that.  And why would anyone have a problem with a memorial unit?  If there was a local CAP, aviation, or military person who was extremely accomplished or was a hero or did a lot for CAP or aviation, why not honor them with a squadron name?  I think one of the Texas squadrons recently named themselves the George W. Bush or the George H.W. Bush Squadron.  While I'm not a fan of either, they were both aviators and presidents and Texans.  I think it would actually be kind of cool to be in a squadron named after a president (except maybe Nixon) and I'm a Yellow Dog Democrat.  8)

Like the continual discussions on uniforms, don't we have more important issues to address?
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Eagle400

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
CCSE....I think you missed my point competely.

Changing wing names woud NOT be cost effective.

All the time and money spent would NOT fix any problems.

Nevada Wing, Califonia Wing make sense to both the USAF and outside agencies.

Yes 29th Wing would sound more Air Forceish.....but your average USAF guy would still say "who's that" just as often (if not more) then they do now.

Again numbering our lower units would again make us sound more like USAF units but again would not help with recognistion.

I like over all the geographical naming convention.

Pacific Region, Nevada Wing, Clark County Squadron.

If you got groups.....Pacific Region, California Wing, Souther Group, San Diego Squadron.

Easy pleasey.  At least the names tell you something about the squadron.

Understood, Sir. 

I'll let the 'numbered wings' idea go... It was a bad one anyway
(I should've factored-in the economic component).