Not assembled
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

RogueLeader

I was just wondering where your ES Gear is kept in case you get "The Call."
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DeputyDog

The bane of my wife's existence is that I store my 24 hour and my 72 hour gear in the trunk of my car. The groceries won't fit in there...

Tubacap

Quote from: DeputyDog on July 17, 2007, 03:25:27 AM
The bane of my wife's existence is that I store my 24 hour and my 72 hour gear in the trunk of my car. The groceries won't fit in there...

That's great planning  >:D
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

davedove

I've started carrying mine in the car.  I might have to repenish food or water if I get a call, but everything else is there.  Occasionally, I might take out an individual item (cell phone, etc.), but it's usually close at hand so I can put it back in the gear.

I don't have a uniform in the car (except the extra one in the gear), so I ought to get an extra one that I keep there.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

floridacyclist

We have a foyer closet that doesn't quite fit all 6 72hr kits. We keep our stuff either there, or hanging on storage hooks in our individual bedrooms. Our gear  also doubles as an emergency evacuation kit or as some call it, a "Bug Out Bag".
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jeders

The only time my gear comes out of my car is when I'm using it or replenishing it, except the water which I pull out and empty so it doesn't grow mold.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JRESO

I keep mine on my back as I jog in place waiting for the "call", which I just know will come any second....  Seriously though, I keep all my gear in my office which is strategically located right next to the garage. When the call does come, I simply load it into the back of my truck and I'm off!

-Side note - Am I the only guy out there who will, out of boredom, take a pack and remove the contents just to remember what I have where and then repack it all? My wife claims this is really unnecessary. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when she walks into the office and every bit of survival and ES gear known to man is strewn about, there is probably something else "more important" I should be doing....

IceNine

Nope, never hurts to take it all apart, inspect it (things like mold, decay, torn bags, etc) all happen just from sitting or moving. And knowing where those extra glow sticks are when is dark, your flashlight is dead, and the glowstick your holding is no long "glowing" is never a bad thing.  I also check for things like expiration dates (energy bars, water sani tabs, and so on) and other things that are bad to find out when you need them.

By the way my 24/72 is in the truck, team gear is at my team rendezvous point, and my base gear is in my garage
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JRESO

Quote from: mfd1506 on July 17, 2007, 03:42:10 PM

By the way my 24/72 is in the truck, team gear is at my team rendezvous point, and my base gear is in my garage

How extensive is your team gear? Was the gear compiled by your squadron for the team or did individuals simply purchase the equipment for this purpose? Reason I am inquiring is, our "team" gear is very basic, flashlights, some hardhats, gloves, whistles, chemlights and orange vests, oh and a Korean era litter.

IceNine

I put the first one together, with equipment from all different venues (donation, bought, assigned)

There is a radio box which contains 3 ISR's, 1 VHF Portable, an L-Per, and Air Band Radio.  I also put in batteries, operating manuals for all equipment, and other documentation (forms, station licenses, and other)

There is a box of food, and food prep supplies

I put in some survival equipment glowsticks, rope, signal panel, signal mirrors, flashlights, extra batteries, various firestarting equipment, 2 medium size tarps, and more

And then I put in stuff that most people forget or could run out of.  Foot Kit (socks, powder, moleskin), field towels (thick wet wipes), pocket poncho's,

I am sure that I missed stuff but you get the gist.  My goal is to raise enough money this year to get one of these kits for each vehicle in my unit with a VHF mobile installed

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Tubacap

Can you take pictures and post them?  The reason being is that we have go kits that are basically 72 hour bags for 4 people in my unit.  It would be nice to be able to have an add on system where cadets could add into the team gear as opposed to having two separate things.  Also, who carries the team gear?  (C/AB's)
NER-PA-001

IceNine

Whatever coach we are riding in holds the team gear. It isn't small, and it was designed for the military

I'll get some pictures, it'll be the first of next month before I get over there though

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

I keep mine in big, plastic, clearly marked containers...one for UDF, one for GT, one for aircrew and mission base stuff.  I have a plastic bag in the closet with my BDUs, which has my hat, belt, shirt, pair of socks, and undergarments.  Basically, I try to keep everything as separate as possible so that I don't find myself using the undershirt and not being able to find it, etc.

I have red signs on my gear boxes, partly because I often lend out gear if I am not home.  Say that I am at a CAP activity elsewhere or hiding from CAP several states away, I can just tell whoever where it is, they will plainly see it, and they can borrow whatever I am lending them (and hopefully not eat all my granola bars). 

bosshawk

Most of the postings in this thread are by GT folks.  Us pilots have a different approach.  I carry a go bag in the trunk of my car containing my flight suit, boots, socks, black T-shirt and long johns(yes, it gets cold in the Sierras in CA) and an extra pair of boot socks.  Right next to it is my survival vest.  If anyone cares, I can describe what is in that.  With my flight bag, that all gets me into the 182 or 206.  In CAWG, we have survival kits in every airplane(that I know of) that contain enough stuff for three people for three days: the one in the 206 that I usually fly weights 50 lbs. 

Even though we are accused of being bronze heros in green bags, some of us take survival seriously.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARMedTech

I have a friend who says that a pilot who isnt prepared (survival gear wise)to fly over a given terrain, has no business flying over it.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Tubacap

Absolutely true and correct!  Likewise goes for Ground Team Members.  As for Mission base things, we have a bag that is a large duffle with each duty station in the ICP having a small plastic container inside (ie checkin, Air Ops, etc...)  Inside the plastic container is all the paperwork necessary plus pens pencils and other such goodies.  There is also a gazateer.  In addition, we have a case with all sorts of extension cords and things to hook up several computers and chargers at an ICP.
NER-PA-001

bosshawk

I like SarMedTech's comment: I happen to totally agree.  I see non-CAP pilots jump into their favorite flying machine wearing shorts and flip-flops to cross 13,000 ft mountains.  In most of those places, there isn't a soft spot to land, nevermind being over some of the nastiest terrain in the US.  Wouldn't want to try to walk out of any of it, never mind in flip-flops.  A light plane is not your living room couch.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RogueLeader

If I travel anywhere there is a distance of 15+ miles between towns, I make sure I have food/water lbe in the vehicle, just in case anything happens.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 18, 2007, 03:53:28 AM
Most of the postings in this thread are by GT folks.  Us pilots have a different approach.  I carry a go bag in the trunk of my car containing my flight suit, boots, socks, black T-shirt and long johns(yes, it gets cold in the Sierras in CA) and an extra pair of boot socks.  Right next to it is my survival vest.  If anyone cares, I can describe what is in that.  With my flight bag, that all gets me into the 182 or 206.  In CAWG, we have survival kits in every airplane(that I know of) that contain enough stuff for three people for three days: the one in the 206 that I usually fly weights 50 lbs. 

Even though we are accused of being bronze heros in green bags, some of us take survival seriously.

What is in your survival vest? I must know. Better, I must SEE. I am a well-known gear freak and have a special fondness for vests of any kind, LBVs, Tactical, Medical...basically I go coo-coo for CoCo Puffs for anything that is tactical black with lots of pockets and velcro. (Hi. Im a friend of Bill and Im a tactical addict). There now you cant pick on my because I have made the first step of admitting I have a problem. Now you all know why I am always asking about pouches, packs, bags, vests, etc. I love it and cant get enough. The briefcase I carry for CAP  is an Uncle Mikes Tactical Officers Case with a hidden CCW holster. Affixed to it are: the Command Patch, NREMT-B Patch, an old ILWG patch and the Goofy ES. In EMS we call it whacker gear. Is this kind of thing what military sorts call snivel gear and is a person who hoards it a sniveller?  In EMS its called whacker gear and those who hoard it are called...yes...whackers.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 18, 2007, 08:36:25 PM
I like SarMedTech's comment: I happen to totally agree.  I see non-CAP pilots jump into their favorite flying machine wearing shorts and flip-flops to cross 13,000 ft mountains.  In most of those places, there isn't a soft spot to land, nevermind being over some of the nastiest terrain in the US.  Wouldn't want to try to walk out of any of it, never mind in flip-flops.  A light plane is not your living room couch.

Having attended two private a/c crashes in NM as an EMT, because of the extreme likelihood of fire and hence severe eshcar burns (3rd degree where the skin is charred black...fortunately, it is the most painless burn after it is completely burnt because the nerves are destroyed...it will actually hurt less than a mild sunburn)..Even as a non-pilot I dont think any pilot (even non-CAP, if there is such a thing  ;)) should fly without nomex, 100% genuine leather 8" boots and sunglasses, either aviator green or yellow...please, no fly boy eye mirrors (aka girl watchers). I pulled a pilot out of a plane in the Jemez mountains (what a coincidence, it was a 182) wearing cargo shorts, a sleeveless t-shirt and...wait for it...no shoes. He had no flight plan and no survival/emergency gear. He died 22 hours later with 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body. To all you CAP pilots from the EMT who loves you, please fly prepared. I dont want to be the one at your funeral who says to your spouse "On behalf of the U.S Civil Air Patrol and a grateful nation..." as I hand her the flag. BTDT
"Corpsman Up!"

SARMedTech

I finally got my "better than mil-spec" (and it really is) CFP-90 as my 72 pack along with a sleeping bag good to -20f that rolls up to the size of a large grapefruit. Im still looking for that perfect 24 pack. Any recommendations. I sort of like the way a "butt" pack (an oversized fanny pack of the military variety...VietNam era) works out but wonder if the more experienced among you think that something larger would be necessary. I know Im hijacking but humor the new guy. If it helps, when you tell me what you use and why, you can tell me where you keep it so it stays on thread. Just please...no funnies about where you keep your butt pack. Does anyone use a over the shoulder across the chest bag like a "mike" bag or medics M3Alpha as your 24 or are shoulder slung bags just not done? On an exersize recently, I carried an Israeli pilots bag with a CAP patch sewn over the red velvet wings and then put the strap across my body and secured it under my pistol belt.  It seemed to work ok, but wast absolutely ideal.  Ill stop here so I dont get flamed for hijacking.
"Corpsman Up!"

Eeyore

Personally I use a tactical vest (medics tactical vest) for my 24 hour with 2 extra pouches along the waist. I just couldn't get everything to fit in the pockets of the vest itself.

Makes so I don't have to take it off when getting in or out of a vehicle, the butt pack got in the way for that.

SARMedTech

Quote from: edmo1 on July 19, 2007, 10:05:37 AM
Personally I use a tactical vest (medics tactical vest) for my 24 hour with 2 extra pouches along the waist. I just couldn't get everything to fit in the pockets of the vest itself.

Makes so I don't have to take it off when getting in or out of a vehicle, the butt pack got in the way for that.

Do you think you could post or PM me a photo of your 24 set up. Thats actually kind of what I was thinking about doing and a particular vest had been recommended to me by an army nurse/medic friend currently in Iraq. The vest he recommended is the one he wears "outside the wire"
"Corpsman Up!"

sarmed1

I use a large Butt pack and chest harness (radio type with an extra pocket)for 24 hour gear, add on a small day pack for 24+ (that attaches to my 72 hour pack) and carry usually a small med bag (pacific rescue products) that actually attaches to the leg similar to the military gas mask bag.
I keep everything but the 72 hour bag in a flight kit bag that also holds my basic rope rescue harness, water rescue PFD, throw bag, knee pads and orange spray paint...and has room for a few other odds and ends to get dropped in.

Additionally I have a mobility bag that I keep with my 72 hour gear.  Its my military one (sans uniforms.)  Its designed to have everything I need to deploy and be personally self suffecient for up to 30 days I beleive (excluding things like food, water and shelter)...additional clothing, personal hygeine etc etc.  A good idea to think about if CAP is going to deploy assets longer than 72 hours for DR type missions.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SARMedTech

Odd you should say that. I am using a butt pack as well for my 24 and I just got my medics thigh drop rig today from the same company. I am using it for first aide blister repairs, etc. I also have a medium sized ALICE that I can use for my 24 that will have the more advanced first aide gear in it. My 72+ is a CFP-90 and with it I still wear the thigh drop medics rig and use the CFP's assault pack as my advanced 72+ med kit. I also now have an electronic thermometer, glucometer and a pulse oxymeter that also monitors heart rate. I think after all my bluster about taking med care of our folks in the field, I finally have a gear set up, packs and supplies, etc that I feel good about being able to stabilize and triage with. Im also packing a START 2 aide kit and triage tags, plus BP cuff, stethoscope, etc...all as ultra light as I could get. If somebody insists on croaking out in the field, it wont be cause I didnt try.
"Corpsman Up!"

bosshawk

To SarMedTech: my survival vest is a plain old photographers vest with about four big pockets on the front: nothing on the sides or back because that gets real uncomfortable in a light plane seat.  If I can figure out how to do it, I will try to send you a photo of the vest.  Since both my personal airplane and the CAP planes that I routinely fly have extensive survival kits in them, I only put supplementary stuff in my personal vest.  Since I am an old guy, I have some prescription medicine, several signaling devices, water, a whistle, some hard candy and gum, a knife and a black plastic bag(great poncho)plus some stuff that I can't remember.

In CAWG, we wear nomex and full boots and I require nomex gloves for any crew that I fly.  I know what you mean about fire damage.

I am particularly strange about survival in light planes(especially CAP) because I have had five friends killed in CAP crashes.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 20, 2007, 03:19:28 PM
To SarMedTech: my survival vest is a plain old photographers vest with about four big pockets on the front: nothing on the sides or back because that gets real uncomfortable in a light plane seat.  If I can figure out how to do it, I will try to send you a photo of the vest.  Since both my personal airplane and the CAP planes that I routinely fly have extensive survival kits in them, I only put supplementary stuff in my personal vest.  Since I am an old guy, I have some prescription medicine, several signaling devices, water, a whistle, some hard candy and gum, a knife and a black plastic bag(great poncho)plus some stuff that I can't remember.

In CAWG, we wear nomex and full boots and I require nomex gloves for any crew that I fly.  I know what you mean about fire damage.

I am particularly strange about survival in light planes(especially CAP) because I have had five friends killed in CAP crashes.

Colonel-

Thanks for giving me a gear geek fix and i look forward to seeing a photo of it for my collection of information on tactical geek gear. Not that you are a geek. I am also particularly strange about survial in light a/c as I recently lost a cousin in a light a/c crash near Denali in Alaska as he flew over doing a survery flight for the Forest Service. Though I dont intend to learn to fly, I have a particular fondness for pilots and especially the CAP pilots with whom i am proud and honored to serve. I joined CAP in honor of the memory of my cousin who loved to fly more than anything else in the world. I am fiercely passionate about CAP ES because I want to be able to help pilots in distress in teh way I wish I could have helped my cousin. I have a sort  of strange fear of fire and particularly fear being burned, but I will wade into any a/c crash to help a pilot CAP or otherwise. My ES gear contains nomex gloves, a set of non-reg (shhhh! dont tell) nomex coveralls, a nomex balaclava and a whole lot of burn trauma medical gear. I hope one day to meet you sir to thank you for your service and throw you a sharp salute and thumbs up as you take off. Beer and steaks are on me when you land. UhRah and Semper Vi.
"Corpsman Up!"

bosshawk

If you ever get to California, I'll hold you to that threat of beer and steaks: some of my favorite combinations.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 20, 2007, 10:59:37 PM
If you ever get to California, I'll hold you to that threat of beer and steaks: some of my favorite combinations.

Wait...California is real? Ive never been further west than the home of my heart: Albuquerque, NM. Now thats a steak and beer town. Santa Fe is different. I think they outlawed meat-eating in a city ordinance there. My one true desire in life is to go back to NM,( take a look at the spot where I almost croaked it when I found that it is possible to put your head through a windshield), run EMS calls and join a CAP squadron in Albuquerque

Yes...beer and steak....the only true food groups.

Stay safe up there, Sir.
"Corpsman Up!"

WoodlandSARman

Do people keep them in the GT vans anymore? I know after missions or SAR ex's we would restock them and leave them in the van so you were not having to worry about going home to get it or having to lug it all around in your POV.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

Stonewall

Quote from: WoodlandSARman on July 27, 2007, 05:55:48 PM
Do people keep them in the GT vans anymore? I know after missions or SAR ex's we would restock them and leave them in the van so you were not having to worry about going home to get it or having to lug it all around in your POV.

Most vans in CAP are used for more than ES.  So if you had a model rocketry day for the cadets , you'd be heading out in the van with space occupited by gear.  Or, what if your gear was in the van you didn't make it to a misison, they'd be lugging your gear around for no reason.

Personally, being a gear queer, my gear has always been too much and too expensive to be carting around in my POV and I certainly wouldn't consider leaving it in a van where I don't have eyes on for any amount of time.
Serving since 1987.

I keep the bulk of my gear in my trunk.  The only thing I don't keep there is the water which I fill when I leave.  But if I'm not home I just run to the store and grab a couple of water bottles.  I also keep a set of utilities in my trunk so I can just throw it on over whatever I'm wearing. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

ladyreferee

I have three large plastic bins in my basement with the names of the individuals in my family who are GT.  24 hr, 72 hr, and camelbak fit in each one.

I carried my camelbak for one week in the trunk of my car until I saw that the mice attacked the neoprene on the hose!  Ugh!

CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

ThorntonOL

So far for my gear i have the Space blanket (a generic one) haven't even thought about getting it together until recently. Decided to start getting it so I can get more stuff signed off. Just have to wait to get some funds to get some more stuff.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RiverAux

QuoteMost vans in CAP are used for more than ES.  So if you had a model rocketry day for the cadets , you'd be heading out in the van with space occupited by gear.  Or, what if your gear was in the van you didn't make it to a misison, they'd be lugging your gear around for no reason.
So you take 10 minutes to unload the ES gear if it takes up so much space that you can't fit cadets in to go to something else.  No big deal, but can be a real timesaver when you've got a mission response. 

sarflyer

At my squadron office.  That is our rally point for all missions.
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Eclipse

I was out cleaning the garage and doing my "r's" from this week's mission anyway, so since the thread is still alive:

This is in the truck 80-90+% of the time, as much because its a convenient place to keep it.
24/UDF/comm gear (plus) on the left, base gear (printer, paper, clipboards, other) on the right.

(Note the SERE Guide courtesy of and autographed by CT's own Stonewall)

Radios and accessories in the top compartment, (yes that's a small LED task light) tac vest, SARMED Vest, butt pack, water,
maps, leg bags (first aid & "other") 750Watt inverter, batteries, all sorts of flashlights,
spare vests, etc. Because of the radios, this one has a combo lock on it, and its plenty heavy
enough to discourage it walking when locked.  72-hour gear is the addition of an Army semi-soft
pack and 10-man tent (or my camper-trailer).

I have more of these containers for restock, camp food, and whatever else.  They're waterproof and
can serve as table and stools once in camp or the ICP.  I can tie them down to the hard-cover of the
truck bed when necessary to open the truck bed up for other stuff.

I've passed a few of them out to people at the top of my Christmas card list, and these have logged a lot of CAP miles
and activities for me.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

great kit

Looks like you have your act together

Michael

At the moment my gear is totally disassembled.

Mostly my food needs restocking, but generally I keep my gear loosely packed in the basement.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Fireball

I keep all my kit, GT, AC,or MB in my living room ready to rock n' roll. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my wife has seen me in action and realizes that seconds count. I used to keep my AC and GT kits in my car so I could respond from work if I had too, but my employer decided that emergency personnel cannot leave work (fire, ems, CAP, etc..) so now I just roll on my days off.

I use a CFP90 for my 72, a Camelbak H.A.W.G. for 24, and I keep my flight kit in a USAF issue flight helmet bag. My Mission Base kit is a brief case and a hardsided portable file carrier.
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

addo1

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 17, 2007, 03:18:42 AM

All of my ES gear leans up against my bunk bed in the corner where I can grab it easily when I need it.  It came in handy the other night when the whole town's electricity was down.  I was the only one continuing as normal with lighting and such!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

jimmydeanno

Quote from: addo1 on August 14, 2008, 01:57:50 PM

All of my ES gear leans up against my bunk bed in the corner where I can grab it easily when I need it.  It came in handy the other night when the whole town's electricity was down.  I was the only one continuing as normal with lighting and such!

You keep a generator next to your bunk bed?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

addo1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 14, 2008, 02:07:48 PM
Quote from: addo1 on August 14, 2008, 01:57:50 PM

You keep a generator next to your bunk bed?

No, lol.  :)  In my ES gear, I have several powerlights and things like that, that come in handy at times...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010