Community Service Ribbon question

Started by WillTheCommsGuy, December 10, 2018, 04:02:40 PM

WillTheCommsGuy

Hey guys,
I read in a CAP regulation (CAPR 39-3 I think) and it said that the volunteer coordinator had to verify my service for me to earn that award. How and where would they verify this? At the squadron, or in an email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

In writing via whatever means they choose.

Email should be fine, though since it's the subjective call of the approving Commander,
best to ask him or her first to see if they have a preference.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Have the coordinator/project leader send an email to your unit (or send you an email that you can forward), or a letter stating what you did and for how long.

For example, I had a cadet provide me with an email she forwarded from her volunteer organization that said:
"To Whom it May Concern,
(Name) has participated in many community service hours and projects this year, encompassing many different nonprofit organizations. Please let this email serve as verification that she has completed 73.1 community service hours with the (organization), (organization), and the (organization). She is a great asset to all of these worthy causes.

(Name)
(Title/Position at Organization)"

I've had a few cadets receive the Community Service Ribbon; the above was the most unusual I saw of any recommendation. It turns out that it was a parent organization that did projects with other organizations.

Keep in mind that the person writing the letter/email doesn't under CAP, and they don't know what it is that they need to provide. Make it so the most basic information can be used to submit the award, and that the coordinator doesn't have some burdensome process of writing a novel on what you did.

At the same time, explain what it is that you did so your Commander understands your community service, and it's something that can be presented during the awards ceremony.

WillTheCommsGuy

Thank y'all for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk