Awards & Decs Justification Location

Started by Jester, October 20, 2018, 05:53:15 PM

Jester

I noticed in eServices today I had a Commander's Commendation pop up in my record.  I have no idea what it's for.  Is there somewhere in eServices I can find the justification?  The Awards Recommendation module only shows me the status of awards I've submitted for others.

Color Guard Rifleman

Click you name in the top right hand corner of the website, then go down to "Service Ribbons" it should be there.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Jester

I see it listed, but the actual narrative/justification that describes why you got the award is what I'm looking for.

PHall

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on October 20, 2018, 05:53:15 PM
I noticed in eServices today I had a Commander's Commendation pop up in my record.  I have no idea what it's for.  Is there somewhere in eServices I can find the justification?  The Awards Recommendation module only shows me the status of awards I've submitted for others.

Sadly no, and I think this is a real issue.

I have one in there myself now that I don't remember why I received it.

The Wing may have access to the narrative, but the average member doesn't.  I'm all for reducing paperwork,
but there should be some place in the module that show the narrative.

This is even more problematic if the service time isn't entered correctly.  I have at least two decs for very specific
service that have the service dates incorrect.  The ribbon looks the same, but as I  become aged and infirmed, my recollection
will cloud and I will be left with nothing but cloth and metal, with no idea why whatever I did was commendable.

And then Thanos will snap his fingers and ...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 20, 2018, 09:09:00 PM
Does it show who awarded it?

The module doesn't show that either.  All it shows is the award and the dates.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

It shows (Wing).

I was able to get the info from my Group CC. You'd think there would be a way to click the specific dec and then it goes to the digital 120 showing all the pertinent info.

SarDragon

A Commander's Commendation should have had a physical certificate. The Form 120 usually accompanies the certificate. Original goes to the recipient; copy goes in the Form 45.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on October 20, 2018, 09:36:27 PM
It shows (Wing).

That distinction is there to indicate it wasn't a National Commander's Commendation, not necessarily who initiated it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2018, 09:39:33 PM
A Commander's Commendation should have had a physical certificate. The Form 120 usually accompanies the certificate. Original goes to the recipient; copy goes in the Form 45.

Decorations processed through eservices do not have CAPF120s, and the narrative is typed directly into eservices.
The narrative never makes it to the member unless the initiator or someone in the approval chain decides to sent it to them.

I have two decs now processed entirely through eServices and all I got was the cert, with nothing accessible as to "why".

"That Others May Zoom"

cba2

Your commander or personnel officer should be able to go into the awards approval module and enter your CAPID or name.  This will bring up a list of awards that have been entered for you. They will show as either approved, pending, or rejected. For each of them you can click on a blue box at the right edge of the screen to bring up the detail related to the award, including the person who made the initial recommendation, the citation, and a table at the bottom showing the award making its way up the approval chain.  If there was a rejected award or a downgrade, that table would also include a brief note of explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luis R. Ramos

That is fine about the award entry. When was the award made. However people are asking about the specifics. About what happened that made someone request that award, such as "Commendation award for being the top cadet for 6 years" or "Disaster Relief award for participating during Hurricane Anita relief." "Unit Citation award after distinguished service for five years in a row." That kind of info." In other words, what is the narrative.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Ozzy

Question... so apparently I was put in for a Com Com after the NYWG encampment last year... but I had switched over to SER/GA so the award was "processed" via GA chain of command vs NY. I see that it was denied at the group level because "This award is not written in the proper format, and needs much more information, and [The Requester] is not in the list of Sandy Springs members." What is the 'correct' way to write up a Commander's Commendation?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

The NYWG CC should have approved the award directly (woudl be appropriate for an encampment as an encampment is a wing-or-higher activity).

The GAWG people had no business denying you a decoration submitted above their paygrade from another wing.

You should hit the encampment staff in NYWG and ask them to process and approve it at the wing level to
avoid the issue happening again.

"That Others May Zoom"