Simon Sinek: Why Leaders Eat Last

Started by Eclipse, June 18, 2018, 03:11:26 PM

jeders

Quote from: UWONGO2 on June 19, 2018, 11:53:25 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2018, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2018, 03:01:24 AM
The adults were always first in line for chow while many cadets went without food; registration was closed so the adults could party with the fighter pilots (even though a couple hundred people had no bunks assigned); cadets were left in parking lots for hours without relief or refreshments.

I can't even...

Reminds me of the year I went to the Oshkosh NCSA. The event is basically broken into two camps, the "cadet" side and the "ES" side who were all seniors, including a couple of full-bird colonels. The ES staff would barge into the DFAC and cut to the front of the chow line. So there's some poor cadet with 50 cadets behind him and a dozen or so senior members just walk right in front of him, often cutting him off from the rest of his flight who were ahead of him in line.

I asked about it and was told by leadership that the ES guys do their own thing and it's just how it works.

Also because they may have been up since 0400 hunting down a half dozen ELTs and have to quickly eat before getting back to work because they are short staffed. In recent years, fortunately, the ES Team has grown in size which allows them to have shifts shorter than 8 hours; this also allows them to wait for their place in line.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

This really irked me at Encampment two years ago when the Cadet Executive Staff had everyone form up in front of the chow hall before proceeding into chow before all of the other staff and students. I even made that comment, to which I received eye rolls and rebuttals.

This year, I observed the Cadet Executive Staff as the last ones to enter the chow hall, and the Cadet Commander was the last cadet to receive his plate. He also walked by the line of cadets and greeted them as he waited for them to get their meals first. I had a chance to express my appreciation to him of that, and his response was "That's what leaders do. I eat when I know they eat, and if they don't eat, I guess I'm screwed."

I noticed every cadet officer at Encampment this year ate after their respective elements went through first. Kudos to the training process here.

To me the idea that "Leaders eat last" means that leaders are making sure their troop are taken care of properly (meals, billeting, etc).  It does not necessarily mean that a flight commander should always eat last like others have stated.  It is a concept of servant leadership meaning to put the needs of others over your own.

Sure, the Flight Commander can eat last, as long as the Flight Sergeant ate first.
Need to have some leadership out there when the rest of the flight gets done eating.

Absolutely. Situation dictates the process. But relatively speaking, make sure your guys are taken care of.

Leaders are responsible for the people and property under them.