What does it take to get into Cadet Officer School?

Started by I_Am_Twigs, April 28, 2018, 05:52:39 AM

I_Am_Twigs

So I'm currently a C/CMSgt and I'm planning on hitting C/2nd Lt next month.

I want to attend Cadet Officer School next year and I was wondering what it takes to get accepted, or how I could increase my chances of getting accepted. What kind of activities would I need to prepare for? Is there any extra studying that I'd need to do?

Thanks in advance  -Twigs
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 28, 2018, 05:52:39 AM
So I'm currently a C/CMSgt and I'm planning on hitting C/2nd Lt next month.

I want to attend Cadet Officer School next year and I was wondering what it takes to get accepted, or how I could increase my chances of getting accepted. What kind of activities would I need to prepare for? Is there any extra studying that I'd need to do?

Thanks in advance  -Twigs
Bottom line....is to just apply.   You will get racked and stacked based on your wings processes.   If you don't get it this year your chances for getting the following year go up.  To the point of that it is almost a guarantee that you will be selected for COS in time.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

One of my cadets was selected this year as a C/1st Lt. NCSAs are mostly based on an objective points-based system, which you should take the time to understand in order to maximize your chances of getting your primary activity.

Like lordmonar said, the only way to get selected is to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSG Mac

While COS is the preferred school, if not accepted you should apply for a Region Cadet Leadership school. Most are credited as NCSA's and are accepted for the required training for your Eaker Award. In fact you can apply for RCLS as a C/CMSgt
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 29, 2018, 05:40:10 AM
While COS is the preferred school, if not accepted you should apply for a Region Cadet Leadership school. Most are credited as NCSA's and are accepted for the required training for your Eaker Award. In fact you can apply for RCLS as a C/CMSgt

RCLS will show up under the NCSA section in a member's record in eServices but the NCSA ribbon is not authorized for RCLS attendance.  The same is true for cadets competing at NCC.  It shows up in the same section but doesn't authorize the ribbon.

MSG Mac

Some RSC's have been credited as NCSA's, hence the word most. The credit is granted by the Cadet Programs people based on the curricula and content on a year by year basis.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 29, 2018, 09:32:34 PM
Some RSC's have been credited as NCSA's, hence the word most. The credit is granted by the Cadet Programs people based on the curricula and content on a year by year basis.

I though all RCLS courses were supposed to follow the same curriculum for the past few years so if 1 gets it then they all do.

LSThiker

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 30, 2018, 01:40:56 AM

I though all RCLS courses were supposed to follow the same curriculum for the past few years so if 1 gets it then they all do.

No.  This is explained by National on the list of approved CSA:

QuoteRCLS (Standardized curriculum does not meet the 40-hour nationally accredited activity
requirement.   Activities that provide a week-long curriculum can apply to be nationally accredited CSA.)

Here is the list of approved CSAs by year (after the 2nd page):
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/Current_and_Past_CSA_Ribbon_Lists_C50A3B1835932.pdf

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2018, 07:24:09 PM
One of my cadets was selected this year as a C/1st Lt. NCSAs are mostly based on an objective points-based system, which you should take the time to understand in order to maximize your chances of getting your primary activity.

Is there a specific document or anything that you'd recommend looking at?

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 29, 2018, 05:40:10 AM

I'd very much prefer COS mainly because several of cadets in my wing have attended it and highly recommend it. Also because COS deals quite a bit with essays and speaking elements (one part of my life that I need to get better with :P). Also I'm not to worried about what rank I'll be when I attend any schools unless they're before May 10 (soonest I can promote to C/2nd Lt  ;D).
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

LSThiker

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 30, 2018, 06:59:05 AM

Look at this webpage for more information regarding ranking for NCSAs:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/national-cadet-special-activities/national-cadet-activity-application-instructions/

kwe1009

Cadet Officer School is the premiere leadership course for Civil Air Patrol.  It is far and above what most RCLS courses offer.  I was involved in on RCLS a few years ago that was not much more than base tours and some PowerPoint presentations.  The cadets only wore blues at graduation.

In the past there was always a waiting list as there were more applicants than available spots.  I believe that has changed in the last few years and now there are less applicants than spots.  I promise that you will have a great time, learn a lot and make some life long friends during your time there.  Good luck!

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: LSThiker on April 30, 2018, 11:54:45 AM
Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 30, 2018, 06:59:05 AM

Look at this webpage for more information regarding ranking for NCSAs:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/national-cadet-special-activities/national-cadet-activity-application-instructions/

Thank you! This helps a lot. I think I'd have total score of 42 possibly 142 if the wing commander flips his green light on. Also does an encampment count towards an activity? Or is that just other NCASs?

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 30, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
Cadet Officer School is the premiere leadership course for Civil Air Patrol.  It is far and above what most RCLS courses offer.  I was involved in on RCLS a few years ago that was not much more than base tours and some PowerPoint presentations.  The cadets only wore blues at graduation.

In the past there was always a waiting list as there were more applicants than available spots.  I believe that has changed in the last few years and now there are less applicants than spots.  I promise that you will have a great time, learn a lot and make some life long friends during your time there.  Good luck!

And that is exactly why I want to go to COS  ;) (also I low key want to visit NHQ  ;D). Thank you!
C/Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 30, 2018, 04:53:43 PM
...does an encampment count towards an activity? Or is that just other NCASs?

Encampment does not equal NCSA, though more then a few require or strongly suggest encampment completion befoe
being approved for an NCSA.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

With regard to COS, all applicants will have encampment credit, as all applicants are officers.

I've gotten in both years I applied to COS (this year and last year - didn't go last year). It's really just points-based. I had 45 points last year and 52 this year. Last year, I don't think there were enough applicants to fill all available slots.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: LSThiker on April 30, 2018, 03:15:49 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on April 30, 2018, 01:40:56 AM

No.  This is explained by National on the list of approved CSA:

QuoteRCLS (Standardized curriculum does not meet the 40-hour nationally accredited activity
requirement.   Activities that provide a week-long curriculum can apply to be nationally accredited CSA.)

Here is the list of approved CSAs by year (after the 2nd page):
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/Current_and_Past_CSA_Ribbon_Lists_C50A3B1835932.pdf

RCLS (Standardized curriculum does not meet the 40-hour nationally accredited activity
requirement. Activities that provide a week-long curriculum can apply to be nationally accredited CSA.)

Wait so RMR RCLS would count as a CSA? It's June 24-29, 2018.
C/Maj, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on May 01, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Only if they are approved by NHQ.  Just because it is June 24 to 29, does not mean it is automatically approved.  The approval must come from NHQ.

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: LSThiker on May 01, 2018, 07:51:17 PM

Only if they are approved by NHQ.  Just because it is June 24 to 29, does not mean it is automatically approved.  The approval must come from NHQ.

I was mainly focused on the 40 hour aspect, 24-29 is 5 days so that's 120 total hours. Also where would I look to see if it's approve as a CSA??
C/Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on May 02, 2018, 12:05:04 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on May 01, 2018, 07:51:17 PM

I was mainly focused on the 40 hour aspect, 24-29 is 5 days so that's 120 total hours. Also where would I look to see if it's approve as a CSA??

:o Is that some of that new Common Core math? How do you get 120 contact hours out of 5 days?

Just like a work week, we use 8 hour days, giving us 40 contact hours for 5 days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

I_Am_Twigs

Haha no I got 120 hours from total time at the event. Wasn't talking about total hours spent doing something. Sorry 'bout that  ;D
C/Maj, CAP