Main Menu

Moving On

Started by A1Steaksauce, June 27, 2007, 04:05:15 PM

A1Steaksauce

This post is in honor of 4 cadets from Rutland Composite Squadron, in Clarendon VT, who have recently joined the military.

- C/2ndLt. Brian Penka (A1C USAF)
- C/1stLt. Nate Kerber (In USMC basic)
- C/Maj. Marc Triller (Entering first year @ West Point)
- C/TSgt. [1stSgt] Roy Murdock (Entering USMC Basic in August)

Thank you for your comitments to CAP, you will all be missed.

Feel free to post names of other cadets who have joined the military who are in your squadron.

Major Carrales

Kudos to these brave souls...serice to one's Nation is service profound.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SARMedTech

Bravo Zulu to one and all.

I look forward to being associated with ever increasing numbers of CAPs fine Cadets as time goes on. May the wind always be at their backs and their service long and proud.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Capt M. Sherrod

C/2Lt Bryan Lounsbury - shipped out yesterday for Ft. Knox, KY in pursuit of his dream to become a CavScout.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

IceNine

C/CMsgt. Christopher McDermott- Ships to the US Navy July 12th
1Lt. John Learned Shipped to the US Army in Late May
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

capchiro

C/2ndLt Jordan Millirons: U.S. Army
C/2ndLt Tiffani Sullivan: U.S. Air Force (training in Security)
C/TSgt Ryan Sullivan: U.S. Army (basic and then combat medic training)
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Major Carrales

Let's not forget that these are our best ambassadors to the armed forces.  I hope that CAP gave them all they needed and that they rememeber their CAP Cadets days foundly!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

C/Capt Michael Hatkevich - US Army
1st Lt. Michael Marzano - Air National Guard

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 27, 2007, 05:08:31 PM
C/2Lt Bryan Lounsbury - shipped out yesterday for Ft. Knox, KY in pursuit of his dream to become a CavScout.

God bless him.  My boy's a 19 Delta was at Knox and is now a Sergeant Major Ft Campbell.

Ford73Diesel

C/TSgt Nick Davis- USMC BMT (next month)
C/Col Nathan Kish- First Year at Westpoint

I know there is a fair amount from OHWG, but thats all I can think of for now....

Stonewall

C/Lt Col M. McIntosh:  3rd year West Point, I'm going to pound jump wings into her chest on Tuesday.                                                    Yes, the same set of wings that were pounded into my chest in 1991.

C/Lt Col T. Culpepper:  Serving in Africa as a USAF PJ.

C/Lt Col C. Greata:  USMA grad, now in Iraq with 82nd; 1LT (Ranger).

C/Lt Col M. Smith:  USAFA grad, now C-130 pilot

C/Lt Col S. Langone:  ANG Firefighter/Iraq vet and full-time civilian firefighter in Maryland.

A little late for the recognition, but just 5 of about 100+ cadets that grew up and developed into fine American warriors under my watch as a senior member since 1992.
Serving since 1987.

Tim Medeiros

Some friends of mine:

C/Col Christine Johnson: now at the USAF Academy, Class of 2011

C/Maj Mary Sellers: Headed to Lackland in Aug, hopes to be in the security forces military working dog program

C/MSgt (If I recall, shes been out a while) Lyn Paine: Headed to Lackland in Dec, hopes to be in special forces

me: as soon as I can, complete AFROTC (theres a few hurdles blocking my path right now that I am in the process of clearing)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

IceNine

Former C/Col. Greg Watson AF Capt Navigator
Former C/Maj. Chris Johnson Graduated USAFA this year
Former C/Lt.Col Adam Kinzinger AF
Former C/Lt.Col Michael Perry AF Lt. (says his duties are classified but if you read the papers you've seen his work)  >:D

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

This is Troy Ruffin,

Troy came to CAP not as a cadet, but as an officer.  Troy helped grow the cadet program in Iowa, and his hands on leadership helped to instill a strong cadet corp within the state.  Troy's involvement with the CAP brought his love of military service to the fore front.  Troy enlisted in the Army, and is currently serving with the third Infantry Division in Iraq. 

you can keep up to date on his progress @

http://troyruffin.blogspot.com/

SAR-EMT1

Cadet  M. Overman - Currently serving 2nd Lt. USAF
Cadet J. Brandes - Currently Serving 2nd Lt. USAF
both 'of late' members of the ILWG
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Stonewall

One of the former cadets I mentioned above.  Pictures taken today, 3 July.

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here's another picture I found.  This is at a PJ graduation.  The PJ, former C/Lt Col T. Culpepper has an excellent story leading up to becoming a PJ...

From Left to Right:
1. Me
2. Former C/Lt Col Langone.  ANG Crash/Rescue and OIF vet and full-time Firefighter EMT-I.  Soon to be Paramedic.
3. Former C/Lt Col Leonato.  VA Tech grad and now full-time public school teacher.  Also a tri-athlete and adventure race guru.
4. Former C/Lt Col Greata.  West Point grad, now full-time Infantry Platoon Leader (Ranger) in Iraq with 82nd Airborne.

Here's the story.

Cadet Culpepper attended PJOC in either 1995 or 1996 at GW National Forest in Virginia. He was in high school and weighed in at about 275 lbs and 6' 4". He almost didn't make it but it was a program for cadets so some how he survived. It pumped him up.

Upon graduating high school in 1999, he enlisted in the Army Guard as an Infantryman. He lost enough weight to enter basic training. However, he didn't pass the final PT test to graduate. He was discharged.

Discouraged but determined, he made up his mind. He would become a PJ.

He worked, attended college and relaxed for a year or so, to get some perspective on life. His reenlistment code did not allow for him to enter the military for 2 years. Doing some research, he found that the AF did not want prior Army enlisted folks. He talked to people at Kirtland AFB as well as some colonel in the recruiting command. He took the PAST down at Langly AFB with a Captain after being told if he passed it, he could enlist. He passed.

He spent 2 years working out, eating right, and focusing on becoming a PJ. At his max, prior to starting his quest, he weighed in at 300 lbs. But before he left for Air Force BMT he was under 200. He swam, ran, ruck marched, did pull-ups and everything needed to make it.

He left in Jan 2004 for BMT. 3 tries at PJ indoc before finally making it, he graduated in Sep 2006. Some say "over a year to become a PJ", try 33 months?

He is now in Africa on duty as a PJ.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Stonewall on July 14, 2007, 06:36:05 PM
Here's another picture I found.  This is at a PJ graduation.  The PJ, former C/Lt Col T. Culpepper has an excellent story leading up to becoming a PJ...

From Left to Right:
1. Me
2. Former C/Lt Col Langone.  ANG Crash/Rescue and OIF vet and full-time Firefighter EMT-I.  Soon to be Paramedic.
3. Former C/Lt Col Leonato.  VA Tech grad and now full-time public school teacher.  Also a tri-athlete and adventure race guru.
4. Former C/Lt Col Greata.  West Point grad, now full-time Infantry Platoon Leader (Ranger) in Iraq with 82nd Airborne.

Here's the story.

Cadet Culpepper attended PJOC in either 1995 or 1996 at GW National Forest in Virginia. He was in high school and weighed in at about 275 lbs and 6' 4". He almost didn't make it but it was a program for cadets so some how he survived. It pumped him up.

Upon graduating high school in 1999, he enlisted in the Army Guard as an Infantryman. He lost enough weight to enter basic training. However, he didn't pass the final PT test to graduate. He was discharged.

Discouraged but determined, he made up his mind. He would become a PJ.

He worked, attended college and relaxed for a year or so, to get some perspective on life. His reenlistment code did not allow for him to enter the military for 2 years. Doing some research, he found that the AF did not want prior Army enlisted folks. He talked to people at Kirtland AFB as well as some colonel in the recruiting command. He took the PAST down at Langly AFB with a Captain after being told if he passed it, he could enlist. He passed.

He spent 2 years working out, eating right, and focusing on becoming a PJ. At his max, prior to starting his quest, he weighed in at 300 lbs. But before he left for Air Force BMT he was under 200. He swam, ran, ruck marched, did pull-ups and everything needed to make it.

He left in Jan 2004 for BMT. 3 tries at PJ indoc before finally making it, he graduated in Sep 2006. Some say "over a year to become a PJ", try 33 months?

He is now in Africa on duty as a PJ.

Talk about willpower
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Stonewall

Here are a few more pics of him in Africa on duty as a PJ.  Just sent them to me this week..

Serving since 1987.

culpies

I know that guy, he's a dork

Quote from: Stonewall on July 30, 2007, 12:17:18 AM
Here are a few more pics of him in Africa on duty as a PJ.  Just sent them to me this week..

Stonewall

Do you look in the mirror every day and say that to yourself?

Ladies and gentlemen, the PJ that I mentioned above has blessed us with his presence.  Guess even deployments can get boring...
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

My only true regret about joining CAP is that I didnt do it as a cadet. I would give my eye teeth to go through PJOC.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

I've known a few seniors to go to PJOC, but generally you won't go as a cadet would, you'd go as support staff.  But nothing's gonna keep you from doing push-ups, rope work, and sleeping in the wild...
Serving since 1987.

genejackson

To "culpies" - RE:  "He's a dork",

Do you have any idea of the amount of both physical and mental "strength" it takes to become a PJ?  Every person who becomes a PJ is nothing less than the upper 1% of all USAF members.  I know because I walked the walk and did the talk and spent 4 yrs in the USAF with black ops during VN and have the frog.  30 yrs later, I proudly wear my Eagles and were it not for having to say goodbye to my beloved military so that I could take care of a wife with breast cancer, I'd probably have my 1st star.
So, when you say "he's a dork", say it with respect.   That dorky PJ may be the guy who drags your butt to safety one day when nobody else has the brass!

Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

Stonewall

Quote from: genejackson on August 16, 2007, 02:39:51 AM

Do you have any idea of the amount of both physical and mental "strength" it takes to become a PJ?  Every person who becomes a PJ is nothing less than the upper 1% of all USAF members.  I know because I walked the walk and did the talk and spent 4 yrs in the USAF with black ops during VN and have the frog.  30 yrs later, I proudly wear my Eagles and were it not for having to say goodbye to my beloved military so that I could take care of a wife with breast cancer, I'd probably have my 1st star.
So, when you say "he's a dork", say it with respect.   That dorky PJ may be the guy who drags your butt to safety one day when nobody else has the brass!

HAHAHA!!!

Ease up, Gene.  Culpies is the "dork" in the picture.  He was kidding.  He's the PJ that was one of my cadets.  He's deployed and got bored and happened to check out CAP Talk and saw that I posted a couple pictures of him that he sent me.

To make it clear, "Culpies" is the PJ in the picture.  I'm pretty sure he knows what it takes to be a PJ. 

It's all good people.  Everyone raise a toast.
Serving since 1987.

genejackson

Well, don't I have egg on my face now!!!   

:-[

We recently had some cadets call some other cadets dorks and it didn't sit well with me at all, especially when one of the new cadets who was called a "dork" was my son who just joined CAP and now simply refuses to go back because of being made fun of.   Oh well,  it's all good and I'm very proud of every dork kid we turn out to this tough world.  BTW,  one of the cadets I recruited back when I was CC of MER/VA/023 had a big day last Thursday, that morning he passed his Private Pilot's checkride,  was presented his Eaker (by me) and got the call telling him to pack up as he was heading to the USAFA!   Yep, he's a dork and I'm so very proud of him.
CAP - great kids, great parents, great satisfaction.
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

Stonewall

No worries, sir.  We've all had egg on our faces, some more than others, myself included.

As you can tell from page 1 of this discussion, there are a number of former cadets I am proud of, and I'm not afraid to tell the world.

Hooah.
Serving since 1987.

culpies

I thank you for your support there.  Had it been the situation you thought it was I woulda been right there with you.  MY appologies for the confusion, just having a little fun.

-tom culpepper
former cadet, current USAF PJ

Quote from: genejackson on August 16, 2007, 02:39:51 AM

culpies

Might be harder now, but when I went to PJOC we had a senior there who while he was techinically staff did about 75% of everything we did.  Dropped with us, ran with us, humped with us and climbed with us.  if you are still interested I would ask, worst they are gonna say is no.  Although they would be dumb to day to no a motivated senior member.
Quote from: SARMedTech on August 15, 2007, 07:45:59 PM
My only true regret about joining CAP is that I didnt do it as a cadet. I would give my eye teeth to go through PJOC.

isuhawkeye

This is PFC Ruffin

AKA.  Capt Ruffin, CAP

IceNine

If you look on the right corner of the union, the guy with his hat pulled down a little too far.

Is a former cadet, I don't have much information on this picture.

However, Tom Anderson was a member of the Mclean County Composite Squadron (GLR-IL-240) for a number of years and retired his cadet career shortly after being awarded his Mitchell. 

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

Well, what's the story about this guy?  What's he do in the Army?  Tell us his story.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

Stand by...Waiting for a response from his family

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: timmed1577 on July 01, 2007, 04:03:09 AM
Some friends of mine:

C/Col Christine Johnson: now at the USAF Academy, Class of 2011

C/Maj Mary Sellers: Headed to Lackland in Aug, hopes to be in the security forces military working dog program

C/MSgt (If I recall, shes been out a while) Lyn Paine: Headed to Lackland in Dec, hopes to be in special forces

me: as soon as I can, complete AFROTC (theres a few hurdles blocking my path right now that I am in the process of clearing)
Just a small update, Cadet Johnson is nearly complete with her first semester, Cadet Sellers had some hurdles to clear in med hold but is back in training, Former Cadet Paine put her AF career on hold to get married to an army guy, and I'm still working on jumping my hurdles.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: culpies on August 16, 2007, 08:36:13 PM
Might be harder now, but when I went to PJOC we had a senior there who while he was techinically staff did about 75% of everything we did.  Dropped with us, ran with us, humped with us and climbed with us.  if you are still interested I would ask, worst they are gonna say is no.  Although they would be dumb to day to no a motivated senior member.
Quote from: SARMedTech on August 15, 2007, 07:45:59 PM

I wonder why they do not let seniors actively participate? I see a LOT of the stuff that NCSA has that I would LOVE to do!

<- Former paratrooper and LRS'er that is still active and in-shape and loves the "hoooaaaa" stuff!

JCW0312

As far as cadets that have moved on...

In the late 90's (before I left CAP the first time), I was a cadet along with another cadet named Tim Creager. He was a great guy who went on to become a Lance Cpl in the Marine Corps. He earned the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device for valor shortly before his life was taken by an IED in Iraq 01 July, 2004. Tim was awarded the Purple Heart posthumously for the wounds that took his life. I know all of us who knew him miss him greatly.

If you would like to read more on Tim or see photos of him:

http://americanindianassoc.com/Tim.html
http://iraq.pigstye.net/article.php/20040706081350887

I'm very proud of all of our cadets who go on to serve our country in the RealMlitaryTM and wish all of them the best of luck!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Ford73Diesel

C/Capt Matt Harding, USCG Reserve. Scheduled to graduate boot camp 20080328

Bump I know

Stonewall

Kid you not, was about to bump this myself.

One of the guys I listed previously, the PJ.  How cool is this.  Today, just 2 1/2 hours south of me, PJ Tom is circling the shuttle in a HH-60 CSAR bird as the rescue team for the shuttle launch today...if it goes up.

Pretty cool huh.  He visited Kennedy as a cadet about 15 years ago.  Who would have thought he'd be providing rescue coverage there for a shuttle launch?

Answer:  me
Serving since 1987.

JAFO78

Quote from: Stonewall on February 07, 2008, 04:07:38 PM
Kid you not, was about to bump this myself.

One of the guys I listed previously, the PJ.  How cool is this.  Today, just 2 1/2 hours south of me, PJ Tom is circling the shuttle in a HH-60 CSAR bird as the rescue team for the shuttle launch today...if it goes up.

Pretty cool huh.  He visited Kennedy as a cadet about 15 years ago.  Who would have thought he'd be providing rescue coverage there for a shuttle launch?

Answer:  me

So Very Cool
JAFO

Johnny Yuma

SM Patrick Renfro (formerly C/LTC Renfro) now PFC Renfro, USMC.

Pat's off to the 'Stan in a few weeks.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Stonewall

So, I'm at Lackland AFB at Combat Arms school and I see one of my former cadets....

One of my former cadets (Eaker type) who is now a full-time firefighter in Maryland and in the AF Reserves (former Air Guard Fire Fighter w/time in Iraq) ran past me today during lunch.  Not just doing PT, but as I'm in my dorm room chowing down on some Subway (foot long for $5), I hear the PJ Indoc guys coming, as I do every day around 11:15 or so.  In a big group, a CRO (captain) candidate is leading them, all with BDUs and big rucksacks on their backs.  I see Stephen Langone smack dab in the middle and confirm it by the tape with his last name on his ruck.  I'm up on the second floor and yell out "Get some Langone"[/b].  I saw his head move so I know he heard me.

Proud of that boy.  Just like I am of all my former cadets.  I've got PJs, pilots, school teachers, academy cadets, soldiers, airmen, you name it. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: capchiro on June 27, 2007, 07:57:42 PM
C/2ndLt Tiffani Sullivan: U.S. Air Force (training in Security)

Any idea if she got stationed at Moody AFB?  I'm at a school right now and across the hall from us is a contingent of security forces folks and I saw an A1C with the last name of Sullivan, female type, one each.  Tomorrow I'll ask if her name is Tiffani and if so, I'm gonna see if she'll recite the Cadet Oath.
Serving since 1987.

winterg

I recently had the privilege of running into a former cadet that I trained all through high school.  He joined the Army as a medic and I lost track of him.  He just finished his tour and returned home.  He came up to me in the bar and I almost didn't recognize him!  It was a great feeling when he told me the impact I had had on him and bought me a beer.  (not sure which one had the bigger impact! lol, jk)

Duke Dillio

^the beer.....

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of my cadets return from the military yet.  Even fewer have joined up as most have gone on to college.  Maybe it was all those horror stories that I told them about freezing my booty off in Korea....  or going through basic at Ft. Sill in the middle of the summer....

Hawk200

Quote from: Sqn72DO on July 11, 2008, 04:12:48 PM
or going through basic at Ft. Sill in the middle of the summer....

Mobbing at Sill right now. Not exactly joyous about the weather. Haven't seen cold here, yet, but I'm told that this place can go through all four seasons in a day. Absolutely delightful. (/sarcasm)

mikeylikey

^ Dust storms would be what season again??   
What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

Eh, it's not cool to be standing near one of the starships when a tornado touches down 3-5 miles away, moving toward the post and the only place to find shelter is in the laundry rooms on the ground level.  That's a lot of concrete that can come down on your head.....

mikeylikey

^ Not cool when you are on the Land Nav course, and the only place to seek shelter is the GP medium.  Then that blows away and takes out three soldiers, while everyone else is running for the vehicles. 

Reference the tornado of 2004.  Man......I was never outside in a tornado before.  Walking around there are actually pockets of hot air that you pass through mixed with pockets of cool air.  That is a tell-tale sign a tornado can form.  Now I know!

An Officer was fired over that fiasco, disregarded the warning calls, and thought everyone could stick it out until the storm passed.  He regretted that I bet. 
What's up monkeys?

Grumpy

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 11, 2008, 06:25:46 PM
^ Dust storms would be what season again??   

January through December  ;D

Grumpy

Oklahoma is the only place I've seen wher it rained mud.

mmouw

My wife signed on the line Friday with the Air Force. She entered the DEP and is waiting to leave for basic after Oct. 1. She joined CAP last Nov. to see more of me, and decided to wear blue full time (and get paid for it). Now I think that I may have to reenlist in the AF to see more of her.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Stonewall

I got an update from one of my former cadets.  He joined in 1994 at age 12....  He is now a Captain in the Army after graduating USMA, serving as a platoon leader in Iraq with 82nd Airborne...he has completed the first step in becoming Special Forces by completing Special Forces Assessment and Selection and earning "Officer Honor Grad".

Hey Man,
     Guess who's volunteering at the  . . . I just realized that I'm starting out this letter like a girl.  Anyhow, I've started to go to CAP while I'm at FT LIVINGROOM, USA [I took out his location] for the next couple of months.  I'm going through an easy course, so I've got lots of time outside of the classroom.  I've only been to one meeting, but it's pretty exciting.  I really look forward to the next one and wish that they would have a meeting on Thanksgiving, just like when I was a cadet.

There is almost zero experience amongst the cadets, but that's cool, because this way, we can shape them the way we want.  The DCC is a former cadet.  She and her assistant -- another former cadet -- are super motivated, but seem to have limited themselves on what they're willing to do to influence a bunch of new cadets.  I was a cadet during a time where I had the luxury of being brought up by cadets and then I was given the trust to lead other cadets when it was my time.  I think with this group, there needs to be some more senior member input now, so that the SQDN can mature into an FCS or MVCS of the '90s (maybe that's a little ambitious, but that's the goal, in my mind).    The good news is that somehow I had instant credibility when I went in there and the CDR and DCC readily hand over the reigns when I have ideas.  I appreciate that, but it wasn't something I expected them to do.  I hope to shape things the way that you did, Kirt, and I think that if I am deferent to their authority to make decisions, and keep good lines of communication with them, they will give me a lot of leeway in doing that.

Anyhow, you hung your hat for now, but part of me believes that you'll be at it again one day, along with a couple of other Bowdens.  While you're sitting out, I'll try to impart the same influence on these cadets as you did on countless others.

Much love,

CG

P.S.  Selection went well.  I was the officer honor grad and an old Paratrooper from my BN in the 82nd (he got out and is coming back in) was the enlisted honor grad -- total stud.  I'll be in FL in DEC for Christmas -- I'd like to coordinate a stop at your place at some point.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Stonewall on June 30, 2007, 06:57:49 PM
C/Lt Col M. McIntosh:  3rd year West Point, I'm going to pound jump wings into her chest on Tuesday.  Yes, the same set of wings that were pounded into my chest in 1991.

Update from a post several years old...

She is now a US ARMY JUMPMASTER!

From 5 years ago...

Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

"Yes, the same set of wings that were pounded into my chest in 1991."

Hepatitis  ;D

GTCommando

C/2d Lt Richard Walker: US Navy Corpsman (current grade escapes me)

One of the guys that molded me into the cadet and young adult I am now. Without him, I probably never would have learned drill, passed the CPFT or made my uniform presentable. Unorthodox though his methods were, my hat goes off to him for what he did for me, and a handful of other cadets. Our cadets-turned-warriors will never be forgotten.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: GTCommando on March 29, 2012, 01:50:07 AM

One of the guys that molded me into the cadet and young adult I am now. Without him, I probably never would have learned drill, passed the CPFT or made my uniform presentable. Unorthodox though his methods were, my hat goes off to him for what he did for me, and a handful of other cadets. Our cadets-turned-warriors will never be forgotten.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

FYI, Sailors don't have grade, they have rates.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on March 29, 2012, 03:11:39 AM

FYI, Sailors don't have grade, they have rates.  ;)

I thought your rate was your job, aka MOS and grade was what they paid you.

SarDragon

Pay grade - E-1 thru E-9, etc.; in my case, E-6

Rating - job, like Aviation Electronics Technician (AT)

Rate - combination of the above; in my case, AT1

The Navy also has numbers to go with jobs that are sub-specialties of rates; these are called Navy Enlisted Classifications (NECs); mine were, in no particular order: 9502 - Instructor, 6673 - Field Calibration Activity Technician, 6609 - Aircraft Electronic Identification (IFF) IMA Technician, 9527 - Miniature Electronic Repair Technician, 8380 - UH-1N Systems Organizational Maintenance Technician (applied for, never designated).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret