ES Training Topics

Started by dudebro311, January 07, 2018, 12:46:22 AM

dudebro311

Who has good/creative ES training topics out there? Need to re-vitalize my monthly meetings.

Annnnddd...go.

Holding Pattern

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

grunt82abn

Land Navigation using UTM maps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

sardak

QuoteBuild a giant compass.

Mike

PHall

Quote from: sardak on January 07, 2018, 04:17:50 AM
QuoteBuild a giant compass.

Mike

Is that a compass or a Honey Badger trap? >:D

Fubar

KC3CTT

Quote from: dudebro311 on January 07, 2018, 12:46:22 AM
Who has good/creative ES training topics out there? Need to re-vitalize my monthly meetings.

Annnnddd...go.
Following up on grunt82abn 's commont: If you haven't done any training recently using topo maps you can download and print them free. Google "topographic maps Nation Geograpgic".

There is also a good Andriod app for classroom viewing called "US Topo Maps". Suggested topics include identifying ridges, saddles, etc. as well as azimuths, back-azimuths and triangulation. 

You Tube has some good videos available.

Note: GPS coordinates are slightly different than grid coordinates. Learn how to convert both ways.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

grunt82abn

Quote from: KC3CTT on January 07, 2018, 04:41:07 PM
Quote from: dudebro311 on January 07, 2018, 12:46:22 AM

Annnnddd...go.
Following up on grunt82abn 's commont: If you haven't done any training recently using topo maps you can download and print them free. Google "topographic maps Nation Geograpgic".

There is also a good Andriod app for classroom viewing called "US Topo Maps". Suggested topics include identifying ridges, saddles, etc. as well as azimuths, back-azimuths and triangulation. 

You Tube has some good videos available.

Note: GPS coordinates are slightly different than grid coordinates. Learn how to convert both ways.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Spot on! Great Follow-up!

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

CAPLTC

PM me.
I have built an extensive and well-received land nav curriculum using USNG maps.
CAP, unless I am missing something, has not properly updated their lesson plans and resources since the mid-1990s.

Quote from: grunt82abn on January 07, 2018, 01:52:41 AM
Land Navigation using UTM maps
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

dudebro311

Thanks for the input so far, UTM land nav is a good call... any creative ES aircrew-specific topics out there?

etodd

Maybe a little off topic, but was curious if anyone knows of a good video (preferably) or PPT that could be shown at meetings that gives a good overall look at all the aircrew positions? New members walk in the door and it would be something great for them to see. Goals to set, if they see it in action (hence the video). Get them pumped up about starting the process and training toward an end.

Nick

Quote from: CAPLTC on January 07, 2018, 06:21:16 PM
CAP, unless I am missing something, has not properly updated their lesson plans and resources since the mid-1990s.

You're not. I have not seen any national level training around USNG although the US SAR supplement specifically says to use it for land search and rescue. There's a NESA slide deck that talks about UTM (close, but not quite) and that's all I know of.

I'm in the same boat, I put together a training a few years ago that incorporated FEMA US&R and FGDC material with my experience with MGRS, but that doesn't help standardize CAP as a whole. Just helped the folks in my area talk with the US&R teams we work with.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

sardak

The task "O-0208 LOCATE A POINT ON A MAP USING UNIVERSAL TRANSVERSE MERCATOR (UTM) COORDINATES" was required for UDF and GTL when the original "new curriculum" was published in 2000-2001. It was dropped for the 2004 revision.

USNG became the federal government civilian standard in 2001 but was basically ignored until the Katrina after-action reports highlighted navigation problems.

Mike

Nick

Quote from: sardak on January 07, 2018, 09:34:00 PM
The task "O-0208 LOCATE A POINT ON A MAP USING UNIVERSAL TRANSVERSE MERCATOR (UTM) COORDINATES" was required for UDF and GTL when the original "new curriculum" was published in 2000-2001. It was dropped for the 2004 revision.

I missed that; I was already GTL qualified at the time and there wasn't a huge impetus of revalidating individual tasks back then, it was just "go do your renewal sortie".

Quote from: sardak on January 07, 2018, 09:34:00 PM
USNG became the federal government civilian standard in 2001 but was basically ignored until the Katrina after-action reports highlighted navigation problems.

It's still basically ignored today in many areas.  I would like to see O-0208 reborn as "locate a point on a map using USNG" and make it a required task for anyone who has to look at a map, and then implement the associated training to go with it.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on January 07, 2018, 09:43:05 AM
Quote from: etodd on January 07, 2018, 01:05:48 AMSeniors or Cadets?

Allegedly it's the same training for both.

Proceed with caution.

Reminder: Some cadets may not have a solid grasp on some of the training concepts, particularly those younger cadets or those with virtually no exposure to emergency management/operations.

The qualification curricula may be the same. Classroom training may need to differ depending on the audience.

Fubar

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 08, 2018, 03:14:33 PMThe qualification curricula may be the same. Classroom training may need to differ depending on the audience.

That is a good point.

Brad

For a good one-off or a recurring annual thing, talk to your local fire department or better yet if you're at an airport, your airport ARFF crew if there is one. See if they'll come out and have some talks on fire safety, equipment demos, rig demos, etc. Can count it as safety and ES, especially if you round up some out of service fire extinguishers as demo units to help train members how to use them when needed. Done this a few times over the years, always a great success.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

etodd

Quote from: Brad on January 10, 2018, 01:16:02 AM
For a good one-off or a recurring annual thing, talk to your local fire department or better yet if you're at an airport, your airport ARFF crew if there is one. See if they'll come out and have some talks on fire safety, equipment demos, rig demos, etc. Can count it as safety and ES, especially if you round up some out of service fire extinguishers as demo units to help train members how to use them when needed. Done this a few times over the years, always a great success.

We've done that. Seniors and Cadets always enjoy it.  We also had the local Helicopter Evac pay us a visit and they taught us how  to prepare and secure a landing zone and the correct hand signals to bring them in.  That was a fun and educational meeting.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on January 10, 2018, 01:39:25 AM
Quote from: Brad on January 10, 2018, 01:16:02 AM

We've done that. Seniors and Cadets always enjoy it.  We also had the local Helicopter Evac pay us a visit and they taught us how  to prepare and secure a landing zone and the correct hand signals to bring them in.  That was a fun and educational meeting.

I want in!