Main Menu

ABU winter jacket

Started by MrsRoe, December 29, 2017, 08:42:49 PM

MrsRoe

Please for the love of sweet baby Jesus can someone link me to the standard, warmest, best quality ABU winter jacket. I have less than 2 weeks to get it here for her. If it has a hood that's even better. Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

NIN

Quote from: MrsRoe on December 29, 2017, 08:42:49 PM
Please for the love of sweet baby Jesus can someone link me to the standard, warmest, best quality ABU winter jacket. I have less than 2 weeks to get it here for her. If it has a hood that's even better. Tia

Is that 7lb, 8oz Baby Jesus?

So there really is only one "ABU jacket," that being the APECS or Goretex-style jacket:

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/air-force-apecs-digital-tiger-jacket/2045233  (thats the AAFES link, BTW)

However, that jacket is basically a shell jacket. Its not really insulated or lined. 

For that, you add the fleece:  https://www.shopmyexchange.com/dlats-foliage-green-fleece-jacket/2596144

(those links are to the men's variants, but I suspect that the women's ones are the same. They don't size the same way as the ABU itself does between sexes)

Now, thats full price.

You can troll around ebay for one for considerably less if you luck out in sizes.  I snagged my APECS for $20, but I had way, way less of a time constraint and could afford to wait until the right one happened along.

Watch out for the knock off fleeces. The legit ones have a fabric raglan shoulder/sleeve, not all-fleece. 

Good luck.

EDIT: here's a link to a whole bunch of Ebay auctions for APECS.  Some of the prices are beyond unreasonable, however. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XAPECS+parka+ABU.TRS0&_nkw=APECS+parka+ABU&_sacat=0 

But you could luck out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parka-APECS-Cold-Weather-Tiger-Stripe-Propper-Small-Regular-Unused-49-98/401459781784?hash=item5d78de2098:g:DoUAAOSwPzhaMX3f

Small Regular for $49 with a Buy It Now. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

hamburgee

Quote from: NIN on December 29, 2017, 08:50:23 PM
(those links are to the men's variants, but I suspect that the women's ones are the same. They don't size the same way as the ABU itself does between sexes)
I checked the female section, looks like the APECS and the fleece are both unisex. They all come in the standard small, medium, and large sizes anyway, unlike the ABU.

MrsRoe

Thank you SO much

Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

xray328

https://sites.google.com/a/capboise.org/civil-air-patrol-in-boise/resources/uniforms/abu-jackets

Layering is the key.  This combo worked well for my two cadets.  I ignore the rank tabs they are using, Vanguard finally got us the correct item.  The gloves and hat they show aren't officially authorized.

Nick

One thing about the APECS ... since it is pure fully sealed Gore-Tex, it traps heat like nobody's business. Unless you're in below freezing weather, you probably don't need much layering if you have one of those.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Abby.L

Quote from: Nick on December 30, 2017, 03:51:04 PM
One thing about the APECS ... since it is pure fully sealed Gore-Tex, it traps heat like nobody's business. Unless you're in below freezing weather, you probably don't need much layering if you have one of those.

I was in 40 degree weather(Mind you, this is AZ. I know 40 degrees in other places is child's play) and can certainly tell you that I was cold even with both the fleece and APECS parka. For OP, I'd even suggest using the M65 for its useful duration as an ABU outergarment(Per 39-1).
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on December 31, 2017, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: Nick on December 30, 2017, 03:51:04 PM

I was in 40 degree weather(Mind you, this is AZ. I know 40 degrees in other places is child's play) and can certainly tell you that I was cold even with both the fleece and APECS parka. For OP, I'd even suggest using the M65 for its useful duration as an ABU outergarment(Per 39-1).

Were you wearing anything under or over your trousers? Because you can lose a LOT of body heat if your lower half is not protected from the cold/wind.

NIN

I just wish I'd had that extra pair of socks.  It was around 15-20 degrees, little bit of wind, and snowing.

I had the fleece under there. Worked a treat.

You guys in Arizona need to suck it up.    8)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 31, 2017, 05:34:52 PM
You guys in Arizona need to suck it up.    8)

Seriously.  40°?  I BBQ in shorts at that temp.

"That Others May Zoom"

Geber

Quote from: PHall on December 31, 2017, 04:21:20 PM
Were you wearing anything under or over your trousers? Because you can lose a LOT of body heat if your lower half is not protected from the cold/wind.

Agree. My niece and I were walking in Boston a few days ago, temperature around 5 degrees Fahrenheit. I had my skiing lower base layer on, jeans as outer layer. She just had jeans. We both had similar winter jackets. She had to duck into a store or subway every 0.1 mile; I was comfortable.