In the event of a war: Does CAP play any role?

Started by Starbird, December 29, 2017, 02:02:00 PM

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 30, 2017, 06:11:07 AM
Quote from: skyhawkcdr on December 30, 2017, 03:26:50 AM
Just think of the CAP roll in "RED DAWN"...Hey we can dream right???

You mean get rounded up with the rest of the police and paramilitary types?

"A member of an elite paramilitary unit.. Blue beret!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Nick

Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2017, 10:44:15 PM
SECAF could ship us off to Bagram AB to peel potatoes if she wanted to cut back on contractor expenses.
FTFY. I think there's some caveat in there that the noncombatant support also needs to remain in the United States since we are not government employees, but I may have imagined that.

The much more realistic scenario is that CAP is tasked to augment national guards, alongside state defense forces or in place of them where they do not exist, and reserve units in noncombatant/support roles to backfill positions that are vacated once the reserve component is mobilized. Like the Florida example earlier, you could easily use CAP members to handle admin, logistics, and force support (services/MWR) functions... the most reasonable capacities are ones that don't require a clearance, which unfortunately precludes comm and cyber. You could possibly also draw in the professional fields (doctors and lawyers), but those would require some spin-up work (for example, you don't go from family practice doctor to flight surgeon overnight) that may not be worth the trouble. And don't forget chaplains are already on the hook to be tasked to augment the military chaplain corps.

Interestingly, I don't believe backfilling Title 32 national guard units would require an AFAM; it could be done in a corporate status as a request from the state government to CAP. So while all 20 members of the New Hampshire National Guard are mobilized to Title 10 status and sent off to war, CAP could go backfill at home to keep the lights on, pipes from freezing, and be available to bring out the 5-tons to get through the snow. Or whatever it is they do in New Hampshire.

As for VSAF... yeah. How about those uniforms, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

FW

As entertaining as this thread is, I can, with 100% certainty, say that there is no way on earth the SECAF will ship us anywhere we don't want to go.  CAP Inc. may be tasked with an expanded roll, however individual members will have absolutely no obligation to deal with it; just like with our current mission "load".  Have a Happy New Year everyone. 

etodd

Quote from: FW on December 30, 2017, 03:47:07 PM
As entertaining as this thread is, I can, with 100% certainty, say that there is no way on earth the SECAF will ship us anywhere we don't want to go.  CAP Inc. may be tasked with an expanded roll, however individual members will have absolutely no obligation to deal with it; just like with our current mission "load".  Have a Happy New Year everyone.

As I said on page one ... When the situation is dire enough that the AF might even remember we are here, when there is no one left to draft, fighting in the streets, whether invasion or civil war ..... CAP members will be too busy defending their families and homes to show up if CAP called. We are civilians first and foremost. Reminds me, I need to stock a few more hundred rounds.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on December 30, 2017, 07:36:20 PM

As I said on page one ... When the situation is dire enough that the AF might even remember we are here, when there is no one left to draft, fighting in the streets, whether invasion or civil war ..... CAP members will be too busy defending their families and homes to show up if CAP called. We are civilians first and foremost. Reminds me, I need to stock a few more hundred rounds.

You seem to forget that there is pool of bodies that can be tapped into in the event of some conflict of extreme magnitude.  CAP won't be called upon. 

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 08:28:51 PM

You seem to forget that there is pool of bodies that can be tapped into in the event of some conflict of extreme magnitude.  CAP won't be called upon.

No, I think that is what I was saying as well. I mentioned the draft, for example. I agreed with you, in that in the extreme, CAP members will be scattered to the hills. CAP would not even be in anyone's mind.

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on December 30, 2017, 09:42:24 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 08:28:51 PM

No, I think that is what I was saying as well. I mentioned the draft, for example. I agreed with you, in that in the extreme, CAP members will be scattered to the hills. CAP would not even be in anyone's mind.

You are aware the draft doesn't exist anymore right? 

Spam

abdsp51

Quote from: Spam on December 30, 2017, 10:31:58 PM

"There was one?"    ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYodLUtySHk

Cheers,
Spam

LOL.  Yes there was one but it died out decades ago.  Nethereless there is a pool of bodies that the DOD can tap into for manning in the event the need arises.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 10:53:26 PM
LOL.  Yes there was one but it died out decades ago.  Nethereless there is a pool of bodies that the DOD can tap into for manning in the event the need arises.

Yep. The National Guard and the Reserves.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

Quote from: NIN on December 30, 2017, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 10:53:26 PM
LOL.  Yes there was one but it died out decades ago.  Nevertheless there is a pool of bodies that the DOD can tap into for manning in the event the need arises.

Yep. The National Guard and the Reserves.

There are also retirees and the IRR.  All would be tapped long before CAP would even if it was considered at all.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 11:00:28 PM
There are also retirees and the IRR.  All would be tapped long before CAP would even if it was considered at all.

Totally forgot about the IRR. I know plenty of people who got IRR'd back in during the first Gulf War.  "What's happening, Peter? Yeah, I know you've been out of the Corps for 2 years and have been working that gigantic surfer dude mane, but, uh, yeah, we're gonna need to you report to Camp Pendleton on Saturday.. Yeahhh."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Tapped for what? 

Actual combat action?  Agreed, no.

But Civil Defense Homeland Security stuff? That's where CAP was born.

CAP would be right back in the thick of things flying coastal patrols, overland transport,
etc., etc.

All the stuff George Bailey did while Harry was off flying.

That presupposes a global "real" war vs. the skirmishes the US has been mired in since the 90's.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 10:12:05 PM

I was talking of dire circumstances like an actual invasion. Watch how quick the draft would be invoked again.

Hoping it never happens.

Watching Iran .... gov't turning off the Internet so they can squash the citizens without eyes watching. I hope our youth here pays attention.

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on December 30, 2017, 11:33:15 PM

I was talking of dire circumstances like an actual invasion. Watch how quick the draft would be invoked again.

Hoping it never happens.

Watching Iran .... gov't turning off the Internet so they can squash the citizens without eyes watching. I hope our youth here pays attention.

Um again the draft would not be invoked even in your fantasy scenario.  There are plenty of pools for manpower, have you not been reading anything or just trying to cause drama? 

There are very few countries who could even remotely think about invading the US and then that's a huge day dream.  No country has the moxie to even think about much less put together a plan to invade the US.

You realize Iran is does the same thing that China and North Korea do to keep their populations in check right? 

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 11:55:09 PM

Hoping it never happens.

Um again the draft would not be invoked even in your fantasy scenario.  There are plenty of pools for manpower, have you not been reading anything or just trying to cause drama? 

There are very few countries who could even remotely think about invading the US and then that's a huge day dream.  No country has the moxie to even think about much less put together a plan to invade the US.

You realize Iran is does the same thing that China and North Korea do to keep their populations in check right?

yes, yes, and yes.

This whole thread is about silly scenarios from the start. LOL

No conventional war on the mainland ... at first.

When Kim's big one explodes high over our country and knocks out power and so much infrastructure ... it'll be every man for himself.  Thats when China and/or Russia could waltz in.

Deterence is our only hope. I'm not sure we could come out well after one goes off above us.

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on December 31, 2017, 12:02:47 AM

Hoping it never happens.

yes, yes, and yes.

When Kim's big one explodes high over our country and knocks out power and so much infrastructure ... it'll be every man for himself.  Thats when China and/or Russia could waltz in.

Deterence is our only hope. I'm not sure we could come out well after one goes off above us.

Keep dreaming.  Neither of those 2 would come waltzing in.  In the event Kim launched something his days are number and neither China or Russia will aid him.  I think you need to put the bottle down and get some air.

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 31, 2017, 12:05:43 AM

Hoping it never happens.

yes, yes, and yes.

Keep dreaming.  Neither of those 2 would come waltzing in.  In the event Kim launched something his days are number and neither China or Russia will aid him.  I think you need to put the bottle down and get some air.

Funny guy. You still don't realize I've agreed with everything you've said. And as I said, this whole thread is just silly talk. Nothing here would ever materialize, no matter what type of situation. Its all just in fun.

If we ever had war on our land ... no one would be wearing a CAP uniform. As I said, it would be family first.

Although I have seen a few CAP military wannabes who might would put that uniform on and drive to a AF base and say "here I am".  >:D

PHall

Quote from: etodd on December 31, 2017, 02:36:27 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 31, 2017, 12:05:43 AM

Hoping it never happens.

yes, yes, and yes.

Funny guy. You still don't realize I've agreed with everything you've said. And as I said, this whole thread is just silly talk. Nothing here would ever materialize, no matter what type of situation. Its all just in fun.

If we ever had war on our land ... no one would be wearing a CAP uniform. As I said, it would be family first.

Although I have seen a few CAP military wannabes who might would put that uniform on and drive to a AF base and say "here I am".  >:D

Hey, they might get lucky, AAFES might be hiring that day! >:D >:D

docsteve

In New York State, there is some kind of connection between CAP and the Dept. of Homeland Security and Emergency Services. 

I have seen uniformed CAP personnel in the State Emergency Operations Center (which is several stories underground and protected by blast doors, so we call it "the bunker"); also, when I was staffing the radio room for the Office of Interoperable and Emergency Communications during Superstorm Sandy, I was relieved one morning by a CAP Lt. Col. (in uniform) from -- I seem to recall -- Syracuse.

This would appear to be the type of role CAP would continue to play in any disaster situation, war or otherwise. 

For the FEMA-oriented folks, my understanding is that CAP comes-in through ESF-1.

Steve

Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain