New member question about uniform

Started by AkFinesse, December 17, 2017, 08:54:31 PM

AkFinesse

Hello I am a Noob (I just promoted to Airman First class) but I have a question why do civil Air patrol cadets wear real army uniforms? My friends dad says it's embarrassing to see kids doing that since they aren't even in the army and don't wear the right color boots and name tapes? Why do we do that?

Thanks

MrsRoe

But you've been to encampment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

AkFinesse

MrsRoe

I ask because you've commented previously that you have so I'm wondering why you're getting the Air force and Army confused and I do assume you have heard the words auxiliary Air Force used. The name tapes and boots aren't the "wrong" color. They are specifically done that way so you can visually tell that Cadets aren't airman and so no one can walk around acting like they are. I'm sorry "your friends dad" thinks it's embarrassing. My family takes great pride in wearing the CAP uniform and wearing it well. Especially when they're out there responding to desperate people after tornadoes have ravaged us or while training for skills that will be invaluable throughout life. 

Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

MrsRoe

Aren't*

AkFinesse

When is the last time you're family member has responded to a devastated someone in desperate need of help?

SarDragon

I detect a hint of bogosity here. PCR-CA-006 is CAWG Group 7 HQ.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MrsRoe

I'm sorry. I assumed because 7 months ago you posted this.

MrsRoe

Several times this year in fact. But that isn't the point.

MrsRoe

Quote from: SarDragon on December 17, 2017, 09:13:01 PM

I JUST now realized you could see which unit people say theyre in. I've spent a year trying to figure out how people knew we were TX wing lol

AkFinesse

That 7m stands for 7 minutes lol. And what Heroes I will have to wear my uniform more proudly so I can do that as well!

MrsRoe

lol
My mistake on the "7m".  My points remains.

Spam

Hi, AK.

My immediate family members (Cadets) responded with their unit to a tornado DR mission this past February (and actual missing aircraft missions in the past several years). Members from all over my Groups responded to DR missions all over the southeast in the past quarter. That included one aircrew which included a fully qualified MO aircrewman who is a fine Cadet.

While doing so, some of our members (who meet requirements to do so set by the actual Air Force) wear USAF style uniforms. Not "real army uniforms" as you say, and not even "real Air Force uniforms" but an approved, distinctly different version because that is what the Air Force has approved for us to wear. So, in context, if we are wearing the approved CAP military style uniforms PROPERLY (and not mixing civilian clothes, and meeting haircut and grooming and height/weight standards) we are absolutely wearing an Air Force (again - NOT ARMY) approved uniform.

Hope that helps, AKFinesse. Best wishes in your cadet career.

V/r
Spam
PS, the uniform does not make the man!

etodd

Quote from: MrsRoe on December 17, 2017, 09:20:53 PM

I JUST now realized you could see which unit people say theyre in. I've spent a year trying to figure out how people knew we were TX wing lol

You can delete your location or Squadron in your settings here if you want to be anonymous. Kind of late now though. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MrsRoe

Quote from: etodd on December 17, 2017, 09:40:26 PM
Quote from: MrsRoe on December 17, 2017, 09:20:53 PM

You can delete your location or Squadron in your settings here if you want to be anonymous. Kind of late now though. LOL

Thanks. I don't mind at all. I just am not forum savvy and thought it was crazy that everyone knew I was in TX

celluloidsamurai

This IS the uniform authorized by the Us Air Force for Civil Air Patrol.  The Air Force considers CAP an auxiliary and members as Airman (albeit extended family).

Fester

Quote from: MrsRoe on December 17, 2017, 09:13:02 PM

I'm sorry. I assumed because 7 months ago you posted this.

I find it disappointing that you, a Senior Member, is "calling out" this cadet in this manner.  What positive impact will this make on this cadet?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

SarDragon

And somehow this missed getting locked.

Well, now it is.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member