Main Menu

Transgender

Started by Lemondyde, December 13, 2017, 06:13:24 PM

Eclipse

A more important issue to cadets, one which has been ignored so far, is what is NHQ going to do about PT?

"That Others May Zoom"

deepblue1947

This whole issue of transgenderism is going to open up a Pandora's box of issues that are going to have to be dealt with.  I see lawsuits a plenty in the future.  The issue of PT that Eclipse brings up is a valid one and just one of many that will arise.

MG

hamburgee

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2017, 12:09:41 AM
A more important issue to cadets, one which has been ignored so far, is what is NHQ going to do about PT?
As far as I know, the military enforces it according to one's preferred gender. People could argue that this is "unfair" and that "transgender/transsexual cadets have an unfair advantage", however from what I read it's worked fine for the military, and if it does end up being a problem, a gender-neutral CPFT plan could be implemented, where everyone would be held to the same standards, while still being fair for both males and females alike.

Eclipse

Quote from: hamburgee on December 29, 2017, 02:39:37 AMa gender-neutral CPFT plan could be implemented, where everyone would be held to the same standards, while still being fair for both males and females alike.

I don't frankly know why CAP doesn't have this already - one less argument.

"Equal" is "equal".

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: deepblue1947 on December 29, 2017, 01:36:18 AM
This whole issue of transgenderism is going to open up a Pandora's box of issues that are going to have to be dealt with.  I see lawsuits a plenty in the future.  The issue of PT that Eclipse brings up is a valid one and just one of many that will arise.

MG

Care to provide evidence for said claim?  Or why your opinion has any validity?  Or provide examples of the "lawsuits a plenty"?

EMT-83

Quote from: deepblue1947 on December 29, 2017, 01:36:18 AM

MG

I disagree. CAP has a long history of accommodating members who may not have welcome in other organizations: physical disabilities, learning disabilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation don't matter. The organization was founded on the belief that civilians not eligible for military service could serve their country.

This is merely a speed bump on a road that will soon be smoothed over.

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2017, 02:43:25 AM
Quote from: hamburgee on December 29, 2017, 02:39:37 AMa gender-neutral CPFT plan could be implemented, where everyone would be held to the same standards, while still being fair for both males and females alike.

"Equal" is "equal".

So do you set the standard at the current level for males, or do you lower the standards for all, to be at what females do now? Or do you just split the difference, which makes it easier for those who are born male, but harder for those who were born female?

Or just let everyone get by with a 30 minute mile run/walk? LOLOL

No matter what ... standards will be lower.

Recruiting may benefit from this. But few will qualify to wear blues ever again.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

abdsp51

Quote from: hamburgee on December 29, 2017, 02:39:37 AM
As far as I know, the military enforces it according to one's preferred gender.

No they don't there is a lengthy process involved, a mil member can't just wake up the next morning or on the spur of the moment decide they are different gender.  And should a member feel they are transgender simply saying they are or feeling they are does not allow them any entitlements.

hamburgee

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 29, 2017, 03:07:52 AM
Quote from: hamburgee on December 29, 2017, 02:39:37 AM
As far as I know, the military enforces it according to one's preferred gender.

No they don't there is a lengthy process involved, a mil member can't just wake up the next morning or on the spur of the moment decide they are different gender.  And should a member feel they are transgender simply saying they are or feeling they are does not allow them any entitlements.
To clarify - by "preferred gender" I meant their legal gender (such as how a trans male would be recognized as a male). Yes, there is a whole process with a medical professional to determine whether gender transition is necessary. At that point, after gender transition, they are to be recognized as their gender.

Spam

Quote from: etodd on December 29, 2017, 03:02:53 AM

"Equal" is "equal".

So do you set the standard at the current level for males, or do you lower the standards for all, to be at what females do now? Or do you just split the difference, which makes it easier for those who are born male, but harder for those who were born female?

Recruiting may benefit from this. But few will qualify to wear blues ever again.

Hi, eTodd.

The wear of blues uniforms by cadets under 18 is not in any way linked to performance on PT tests. One does not "qualify" to wear the USAF style uniforms in any way other than being a current member properly groomed and in weight standards; cadets under 18 are currently allowed to be significantly obese and still wear blues without penalty, even as the current PT program urges them to adopt a healthy, exercise-enhanced lifestyle (but we don't withhold the wear of the uniform as a penalty for obesity).

Members (including cadets) over 18 who don't meet the CAPM 39-1 height/weight tables may not wear blues, and will wear other options.

Just trying to make sure we don't cross the streams here...

R/s
Spam

(modified: added grooming/weight)

Cadetter

Just an observation: While I know very few females who pass all requirements at both the female and male standards, only one out of six male cadets in my squadron who struggles with PT regularly meets the female standard for his age and rank. And with the new PT program, the differences are even less noticeable, except for PACER, which nearly everyone hates anyway.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on December 29, 2017, 05:02:10 AMAnd with the new PT program, the differences are even less noticeable, except for PACER, which nearly everyone hates anyway.

You may want to review those numbers again - they are significantly different, especially at the older end of
the range / phases.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

The differences [in male cadets who fail PT but meet the female standards], in my squadron, was what I referred to. But let's pretend that I was referring to the blanket difference between males and females:

I'm aware of the numbers. Are you telling me that the difference between an 8:04 mile (male) and 9:22 mile (female) is significantly different, when compared to, hmm, 8:06 mile (male) and 12:11 mile (female), or 6:35 versus 9:14, when both genders are 17? http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Cadet_Super_Chart_94732A5667D92_C5995ABD1FAC3.pdf

In my experience, nearly everyone passes curl-ups under both programs. Push-ups are capped at 18 for males and 7 for females under the new program; those caps were 46 for males and 22 for females under the old. I don't know about you, but I find it easier to go from 7 to 18 than from 22 to 46. So IMO, the gender disparity for PT and potential implications with trans cadets is less serious under the new program (because there's less difference).
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on December 29, 2017, 05:46:27 AM
I'm aware of the numbers. Are you telling me that the difference between an 8:04 mile (male) and 9:22 mile (female) is significantly different, 

It's absolutely night and day, and I've personally seen even less margin be the difference between
"I was a Spaatz." and "I basically completed the Cadet Program...Spaatz is just icing on the cake for some..."

A minute on a mile might as well be a month if you're a marathoner and not a sprinter.  Some top out and are never
able to cut their time.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you are significantly discounting the differences,
and should consider yourself luck that your atypical squadron is currently having little
issues with the expectations, because I can assure that's not the general CAP experience.

On the norm you will have cadets hanging for months on 1 or two push ups or curl ups
or 10 seconds on the mile.

The practical reality of a full minute on the mile, double the curl ups, 2/3rds the pacer,
triple the push ups, 25% more curl ups, is that these are not trivial numbers and for
many cadets would literally be the difference between pass or fail.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

You're also entitled to your opinion that six cadets failing PT every month is 'luck' - my squadron only has about 12-15 active cadets. I would call it a serious issue.

I didn't say the numbers were trivial. I indicated that they are becoming less unequal with the new program. I consider that a one minute mile difference, while noticeable, isn't nearly as noticeable as a four minute difference. Previously it was double the push ups (but again, 11 more is probably slightly easier than 14-22 more) and 10 more curl ups (now 6, but not with a 1-minute time). "Less" serious does not equal "trivial"

You cut my quote. I said, "Are you telling me that the difference between an 8:04 mile (male) and 9:22 mile (female) is significantly different, when compared to, hmm, 8:06 mile (male) and 12:11 mile (female)..."

Currently I'm struggling to bring down a 9:45 mile to a 9:34. It's eleven seconds. It's not a fast mile, but I'm struggling. I have some understanding of the difference between and 8 minute and a 9 minute mile, because while I can sometimes get 9 to 9:15 and it feels the same, it's not consistent, and getting below 9 minutes will be challenging (hopefully attainable). I have no idea if I will be able to get below 7:30 in a year or two when I attempt Spaatz. The lower the times are, the greater the difficulty in shaving off time. I get that. (translatable to other physical activities as well, of course)
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

"Equal" is "equal".

The military has had that same debate endlessly.

Equality is "hurtful."

Quote from: Cadetter on December 29, 2017, 06:12:19 AM
Currently I'm struggling to bring down a 9:45 mile to a 9:34. It's eleven seconds. It's not a fast mile, but I'm struggling. I have some understanding of the difference between and 8 minute and a 9 minute mile, because while I can sometimes get 9 to 9:15 and it feels the same, it's not consistent, and getting below 9 minutes will be challenging (hopefully attainable). I have no idea if I will be able to get below 7:30 in a year or two when I attempt Spaatz. The lower the times are, the greater the difficulty in shaving off time. I get that. (translatable to other physical activities as well, of course)

Run faster.

There are people that can run 5:15 miles.

MrsRoe

"Equal" is "equal".

Why would standards be lower? As a mother of a female cadet, stop assuming girls can't run, do push ups etc. Push females to reach their peek physical abilities, and then push them further. I would love to see the PT standards for females changed to a healthier standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

etodd

Quote from: MrsRoe on December 29, 2017, 06:56:33 PM

"Equal" is "equal".

Why would standards be lower? As a mother of a female cadet, stop assuming girls can't run, do push ups etc. Push females to reach their peek physical abilities, and then push them further. I would love to see the PT standards for females changed to a healthier standard.

Great! So there is one vote to move the female standards, along with all transgenders, to the higher standards traditional of males, and just have one set of requirements. I'll second that motion. Shall we vote and let Hdqs know?  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MrsRoe

Quote from: etodd on December 29, 2017, 07:16:18 PM
Quote from: MrsRoe on December 29, 2017, 06:56:33 PM

"Equal" is "equal".

Great! So there is one vote to move the female standards, along with all transgenders, to the higher standards traditional of males, and just have one set of requirements. I'll second that motion. Shall we vote and let Hdqs know?  ;)

Dooooo it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time