Review Board questions

Started by Picy3, November 23, 2017, 09:12:13 PM

Picy3

I just last week finished all i needed to do (tests and such) for my wright brothers award, now I was told that next week we would be doing review boards, I wasn't actually expecting to pass all the tests (drill and leadership mainly) so I didn't think I would actually make it on time for the review boards but I somehow passed it all, anyways I looked up a little bit of stuff they do as I knew nothing about them and saw that they ask questions and stuff, so I'm just wondering if some of the people who have done this could tell me what to expect or how I can be prepared for it because I would really like to promote in January, mainly what they will ask me maybe or past experiences of what they have done.
:o ???

anyways any help would be nice, thank you!
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

arajca

The questions review boards ask vary greatly from unit to unit. The only constraints are:
1. No asking questions on the specific material you were just tested on.
2. Questions should be based on the CAPF 50.

Expect general leadership questions (how do you define a good leader, give an example of a good leader and why you think they are, etc), activity questions, what-are-your-goals type questions. For any more specifics, talk to cadets in your unit who have been through a review board.

Picy3

OK thank you, I'm not usually the best at those types of questions so i guess I'll have to work on that.. especially the "what are your goals in CAP" (which i have been asked before).. i mean really my goal i had set for cap was to try my hardest to promote and get to staff sergeant by January or February, so really i dont know yet what i want to do after this.. i just really enjoy doing CAP and seeing my friends, being able to learn along side them and being able to promote is a good example of why i like it, you work hard to promote and instead of getting nothing you get more responsibility and things you can do, you can help others and that is what i really enjoy.. so yeah.. anyways ill keep that in mind.

thanks and happy thankgiving!!

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

Luis R. Ramos

As a suggestion, downplay about yourself and emphasize helping others. Or at least have the part about helping others have an equal weight.

Such as "helping others promote." "Helping others be better cadets," and the like.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Picy3

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

Luis R. Ramos

Duplicate post, ignore / erased.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Review boards are unit SOP. It's up to your unit as to how to run them. Each unit will do them just a bit differently, and some units may be very drastic with how they run a board compared to their neighbor.

It is never supposed to be a trivia challenge. If you start getting asked trivia questions (What's the rank of....; Who is the National Commander?), challenge it. "Sir/Ma'am, I would like to express that a review board is not supposed to be trivia and recycle what I have been trained on. I think this time would be better served talking about my performance and character rather than CAP general knowledge. I have already passed the written test."

This isn't an academy entrance interview. It's a cadet promotion. It should be serious, focused, and worth your time to address your performance as a senior cadet NCO, cadet in general, and your future as a cadet officer. Do you understand the difference in the roles of NCOs and officers (not titles or jobs, but the differences in planning and how you correct systemic issues)? Where do you see yourself over the next 6 months? Where would you like your junior cadets to be in those 6 months? What ideas/ways do you have to get them there?

We end every interview with "Is there anything you would like to discuss?" Sometimes we get told no, sometimes we get "Actually, Sir, there is something I'd like to ask/bring up/address." Go for it. This is your open opportunity to show maturity in your ability to discuss matters you feel are important or ask questions you have, and it is a great time to show that you're serious in how you take your "cadet career."

Picy3

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 27, 2017, 11:20:56 PM
Review boards are unit SOP. It's up to your unit as to how to run them. Each unit will do them just a bit differently, and some units may be very drastic with how they run a board compared to their neighbor.

It is never supposed to be a trivia challenge. If you start getting asked trivia questions (What's the rank of....; Who is the National Commander?), challenge it. "Sir/Ma'am, I would like to express that a review board is not supposed to be trivia and recycle what I have been trained on. I think this time would be better served talking about my performance and character rather than CAP general knowledge. I have already passed the written test."

This isn't an academy entrance interview. It's a cadet promotion. It should be serious, focused, and worth your time to address your performance as a senior cadet NCO, cadet in general, and your future as a cadet officer. Do you understand the difference in the roles of NCOs and officers (not titles or jobs, but the differences in planning and how you correct systemic issues)? Where do you see yourself over the next 6 months? Where would you like your junior cadets to be in those 6 months? What ideas/ways do you have to get them there?

We end every interview with "Is there anything you would like to discuss?" Sometimes we get told no, sometimes we get "Actually, Sir, there is something I'd like to ask/bring up/address." Go for it. This is your open opportunity to show maturity in your ability to discuss matters you feel are important or ask questions you have, and it is a great time to show that you're serious in how you take your "cadet career."

Hmm.. ok sounds good, when I asked one of my friends (who is I think he's master sergeant last I checked..) what they do at our squadron or how hard it will be he simply said, "honestly its hard to fail these things so I wouldn't worry", so I feel better now though knowing its not too hard.. but thanks yes, I'll try to do that if they start bringing up something like that, I like the idea of having nothing asked about what I have learned, though I don't know much of where I want to be in 6 months.. guess ill have to think about that..

in 6 months ideally I would like to be master Sergeant, flight Sergeant, but that really depends. but really I have no plans other then to go to encampment in the summer  ;)
-where I would like to see my fellow junior cadets is where I'm at. say they are all Airmen, then in 6 months I would like to see them where I am at- in grade that is.

well anyways, one last day to prepare-

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

Fubar

Quote from: Picy3 on November 28, 2017, 12:19:24 AM"honestly its hard to fail these things so I wouldn't worry"

Seeing as a review board following a CAPF 50 (or whatever the form is now) is not a pass/fail endeavor, I'd say it's really hard to fail one.

TheSkyHornet

Hard to fail? Yes. That's not a thing.
Possible to be sustained in grade? Yes. Absolutely.

That statement "It's hard to fail" gives some cadets a false confidence, and I've seen plenty of cadets who have poor performance and/or behavior that has been addressed who think they're going to walk out of a review board shining. It's not a pleasant experience when a review board turns into a counseling session.

"So, you've had some issues here that have been brought up before. How do you think it's going?"
"Well, I think I'm doing fine."
"Your record shows otherwise. Let's talk about some examples...So, can you give me some insight as to where you are with these corrections."
"Everything is fixed. I'm doing great now."
"You don't reply to emails. You horse around. You're not setting a good example for junior cadets, especially those several years younger than you."
"I'm sorry. I'll do better."
"Why do you think you're ready to promote and take on the extra responsibility and accountability?"
"Because I completed the tests."
"Okay, I'm not so sure you're ready. I can't recommend it."

A board should not be the first time an issue is addressed, nor should it be the first time positive feedback is provided. It should be specifically talking about your readiness for that specific grade you are boarding for and what future it opens up to you, both good and bad.

A cadet who has some issues understanding various roles (which can be taught) is more likely to promote than a cadet who cannot grasp his former mistakes and learn from them (which is a real struggle). Performance will drive readiness.

Picy3

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 29, 2017, 03:21:38 PM
Hard to fail? Yes. That's not a thing.
Possible to be sustained in grade? Yes. Absolutely.

That statement "It's hard to fail" gives some cadets a false confidence, and I've seen plenty of cadets who have poor performance and/or behavior that has been addressed who think they're going to walk out of a review board shining. It's not a pleasant experience when a review board turns into a counseling session.

"So, you've had some issues here that have been brought up before. How do you think it's going?"
"Well, I think I'm doing fine."
"Your record shows otherwise. Let's talk about some examples...So, can you give me some insight as to where you are with these corrections."
"Everything is fixed. I'm doing great now."
"You don't reply to emails. You horse around. You're not setting a good example for junior cadets, especially those several years younger than you."
"I'm sorry. I'll do better."
"Why do you think you're ready to promote and take on the extra responsibility and accountability?"
"Because I completed the tests."
"Okay, I'm not so sure you're ready. I can't recommend it."

A board should not be the first time an issue is addressed, nor should it be the first time positive feedback is provided. It should be specifically talking about your readiness for that specific grade you are boarding for and what future it opens up to you, both good and bad.

A cadet who has some issues understanding various roles (which can be taught) is more likely to promote than a cadet who cannot grasp his former mistakes and learn from them (which is a real struggle). Performance will drive readiness.

very well said.
yes, though i cant say i have problems with other cadets (i actually get along better with younger people), i did say i can have problems with my uniform, such as the boots or my hair- though the hair isn't something i can really control (my hair grows really fast so i have to have it cut a lot  ::) ), but other then that there's nothing much else.

when i did it last night they said i was good, liked my character and other then that.. there's nothing much else we talked about, the commander asked what i thought i could work on and i said my uniform and hair mainly, he said yeah to cut my hair the first week of Janurary before my promotion or he wouldn't promote me (though he was mostly joking) and uh he said congrats and to be here the first week of Janurary for my promotion  ;D ,so it went pretty good, so i guess i have a new goal to set o.O ..

who knows what it will be.. but thank you everyone for the advise and stuff, it really helped me.

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

Fubar

I thought a cadet's promotion was decided upon by the commander (after getting a recommendation from the promotion board) prior to any review board and CAPF 50 being administered. Otherwise how would the review board members know what to put on the CAPF 50 and what to discuss (both good and bad)?

Cadetter

As C/CC I usually prepare the CAPF 50, either with "Promotion Approved" ticked or blank (but not with "Retained in Grade" ticked) and email it to our commander a few days in advance (if he disagreed with my recommendation, he could say so, but it hasn't happened yet). We haven't yet held a review board for which the cadet's performance influenced final decision (although if a cadet was rude or arrogant, it would, and it was borderline when a SrA didn't report in properly), and we usually discuss leadership qualities and desired staff positions with cadets.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Picy3

Yes when I reported, I said "reporting as requested" instead of ordered, so the commander made me do it again, which was good for me.

though I was a bit worried I would mess it up somehow because the last time I had reported was in basic 6 months ago so not much practice.. but *to my knowledge* I did it all correct in the end (though I felt pretty bad in the end when I forgot to salute him before leaving, I was just very happy to hear I passed everything, but he told me before I was gone, so I turned around apologized and saluted him.

I love our commander because he can be very nice and understanding.

oh but I have one question real quick, I was told that now that I have everything needed to promote and am just waiting time that I am technically a Sergeant, so would I sign as Sergeant now or do I have to be pinned and everything before I can do that? :o

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

arajca

You are not promoted to C/SSgt until your promotion shows up in Eservices. Therefore, you do not sign as C/SSgt until that time. Nor should you be wearing the grade insignia.

TheSkyHornet

We hold the review board with the cadet. We go in after discussing it prior as to what talking points we have (generally in the preceding week or two). Someone generally fills out the Form 50 as the board is underway. We ask the cadet to leave. We discuss the interview. We bring the cadet back in and go over our talking points while he/she was out of the room. We then explain what our recommendation will be to the Commander. The Form 50 is provided once the Commander gives the okay.

We will not hold review boards well in advance of a cadet promoting, and they must have completed all of the required criteria before a board will be held. This is only for in-person reviews.

Only the Commander or someone delegated can/will check off "Promote," nor should they. As a Cadet Commander, you cannot approve a promotion. If your Commander is letting you decide for him/her, that really shouldn't be happening.

Quote from: Picy3 on November 29, 2017, 09:07:55 PM

yes, though i cant say i have problems with other cadets (i actually get along better with younger people), i did say i can have problems with my uniform, such as the boots or my hair- though the hair isn't something i can really control (my hair grows really fast so i have to have it cut a lot  ::) ), but other then that there's nothing much else.

Don't make excuses.

Cadetter

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 01, 2017, 11:32:07 PM
We hold the review board with the cadet. We go in after discussing it prior as to what talking points we have (generally in the preceding week or two). Someone generally fills out the Form 50 as the board is underway. We ask the cadet to leave. We discuss the interview. We bring the cadet back in and go over our talking points while he/she was out of the room. We then explain what our recommendation will be to the Commander. The Form 50 is provided once the Commander gives the okay.

We will not hold review boards well in advance of a cadet promoting, and they must have completed all of the required criteria before a board will be held. This is only for in-person reviews.

Only the Commander or someone delegated can/will check off "Promote," nor should they. As a Cadet Commander, you cannot approve a promotion. If your Commander is letting you decide for him/her, that really shouldn't be happening.

Only the Commander can approve the promotion; what I check on the Form 50 is a recommendation that would be changed if he disagrees. Not sure where the issue is - I said in my previous post that it's a recommendation.
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

Quote from: Cadetter on December 02, 2017, 07:13:50 PM
Only the Commander can approve the promotion; what I check on the Form 50 is a recommendation that would be changed if he disagrees. Not sure where the issue is - I said in my previous post that it's a recommendation.

As the regs currently sit.  That is outside your lane. 

Cadetter

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 02, 2017, 09:42:17 PM
As the regs currently sit.  That is outside your lane.

Please cite. I'll certainly address this with my commander if it's incorrect, but as far as my understanding goes, it's perfectly acceptable for a cadet officer to prepare the F50/60-90, including the opinion that the cadet should be promoted, and send it to him for approval... he decides whether that box stays checked, and he signs. Since review boards are requested at least a week in advance, we discuss performance at the previous meeting and already know what will be on the form... including the decision.

52-16 5.2.f, "Advancement, and the promotions in grade that accompany it, becomes official when the squadron commander (or designee) endorses the cadet's record in the Cadet Promotions Application in eServices or, alternatively, endorses the CAPF 52-series form."

It's his signature at the bottom of the form, and his agreement that "Promotion Approved" is correct. That seems like endorsement to me...

60-1 5.2.1, "Advancement, and the promotions in grade that accompany it, become official when the squadron commander (or designee) endorses the cadet's record in the Cadet Promotions Application in eServices."
5.7.1, "Commanders  must  ensure  each  cadet  receives  constructive  feedback using the CAPF 60-90 series, Cadet Leadership Feedback, ... Adult leaders and  cadet  officers  may  conduct  CAPF  60-90  series  evaluations  (cadet  officers  may  evaluate  cadets  who are  junior  to  them  in  grade).  Commanders  may  approve  or  disapprove  the  evaluation;  ultimately  the commander must ensure the cadet's progress is evaluated properly."

Again, it's the Commander who approves the evaluation regardless.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Yes, but it's the promotion board that recommends, or does not, a promotion, not an
individual cadet (or senior member).

Assuming you are on that board, you are one voice in the mix.  If you aren't on that board,
you can have an opinion, but it may not even be considered.

Also, the evaluator is supposed to be a senior member, or if it's a cadet, that cadet is to work under a
senior members supervision, not simply prepare the form themselves and hand it to the CC.

There are very good, well thought-out reasoning behind this, not the least of which is that
not only are cadets perishable in regards to time, but cadets at all levels are still learning,
by design, and an improperly prepared or executed Leadership conference could well
stifle a cadets motivation permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"