Main Menu

Promotion related question

Started by Talenne@gmail.com, November 21, 2017, 05:54:32 PM

Talenne@gmail.com

If a cadet has completed all requirements for promotion, passed drill test, pt, aced both exams, mentors new cadets, is one of the few active cadets and attends all events as well as wing events when they can afford to, how long can the Cadet Senior Commander delay hitting the promotion button in e services. It is after sixty days and the cadet was advised they did not need to do a pass and review because of their active involvement. 

This question has been brushed off by local chain of command.  The senior commander is also insisting the Wright Brothers certificate comes from National headquarters when it clearly states the squadron prints from eservices in CAP documentation.   I have searched the CAP manuals I have downloaded and can find nothing on pending promotions.

I am not the cadet but am an advocate on their behalf.  The cadet worked very hard to make Technical Sergeant before the Encampment Staff deadline.  Is there any written policy that more clearly defines this situation.

kwe1009

Cadet promotions should be done in a timely manner and 60 days does not equal that.  Also, the promotion can be back dated in eServices to the earliest date that the cadet met all promotion requirements. 

What is the reason given by squadron leadership that this cadet is not being promoted?  If all of the requirements have been met then a review board should have been held in a timely manner and the cadet is either promoted or told why, in writing, why the promotion was not approved.

arajca

The Wright Brothers certificate is generated on Eservices, CAP Certificates module. It is printed by the unit.

kwe1009

Quote from: arajca on November 21, 2017, 06:28:18 PM
The Wright Brothers certificate is generated on Eservices, CAP Awards module. It is printed by the unit.

Also, it has been that way for over 5 years that I know of so it should not be a shock to the unit.

Eclipse

This would be grounds for a legitimate, sustainable complaint.

When a cadet has completed all the requirements for a promotion, you promote them, or follow the regs
related to what you do when you don't.

Mom needs to be calling the CC, and absent a reasonable response, moving up the chain.

Cadets are perishable, from both a time perspective and their initiative.  If you don't treat them fairly,
they will leave, either the unit, or CAP altogether.

With that said, do you mean "60 days past his being eligible" or "60 days since his last promotion",
the latter is less troubling, though still unnecessary.

We only pin once a month, but our cadets date of record is the day they completed the requirements,
not pinning day.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

I agree with Eclipse (it has been known to happen!), this is serious enough to complain about.

Minor points -

1. I'd suggest that not Mom, but the cadet him/herself needs to be "weaponed up" and motivated to stand up for him/herself.

2. There's no such person as the "Cadet Senior Commander". I'd assume you meant Squadron Commander (the adult unit commander, who is responsible for the promotion action). The buck needs to stop there, so that is where the cadet needs to work the point actively... through his/her cadet chain of command, request an interview with the Commander to discuss it. If the cadet doesn't get the requested interview or gets stonewalled again, then he/she should tell the Squadron Commander that he is submitting a formal complaint to the Group Commander.

Best of luck - advise the cadet to not let them kick that can further down the street, hoping he'll give up.
Spam

Spam

PS, tell the cadet to point out that if the Commander, on review, determines that he was promotion eligible on a certain date, he would respectfully request that his date of rank (the promotion date) be set at that date. This is due to no fault of his own, and he should ask for this to help him with time in grade for his next promotion.

V/r
Spam

wacapgh

There is no "Double Secret Probation"

By regulations, if a Cadet is to be "Sustained in Grade" - that is not promoted - the reasons why and what behavior needs to changed, MUST be put in writing:

CAPR 52-16. 5-2, e

e. Sustaining a Cadet in Grade. Commanders may sustain a promotion-eligible cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. Using the CAPF 50, Cadet Leadership Feedback, the commander (or deputy commander) will offer constructive feed-back to help the cadet develop his/her leadership skills. The commander must also schedule a follow-up review to be held within 60 days.

abdsp51

Quote from: Talenne@gmail.com on November 21, 2017, 05:54:32 PM
If a cadet has completed all requirements for promotion, passed drill test, pt, aced both exams, mentors new cadets, is one of the few active cadets and attends all events as well as wing events when they can afford to, how long can the Cadet Senior Commander delay hitting the promotion button in e services. It is after sixty days and the cadet was advised they did not need to do a pass and review because of their active involvement.

What is a pass and review????? This is usually a drill item...  Can you clarify? 

This question has been brushed off by local chain of command.  The senior commander is also insisting the Wright Brothers certificate comes from National headquarters when it clearly states the squadron prints from eservices in CAP documentation.   I have searched the CAP manuals I have downloaded and can find nothing on pending promotions.

Brushed off by who?  Leadership Officer? Deputy Commander for Cadets? Squadron Commander?

I am not the cadet but am an advocate on their behalf.  The cadet worked very hard to make Technical Sergeant before the Encampment Staff deadline.  Is there any written policy that more clearly defines this situation.

And to whom are you in relation to the cadet?  To many "advocates" tend to be the cadet themselves, another cadet or a parent who doesn't want to say that is who they are and generally only provide details to make themselves look good.  If you are not the cadet in question, or the cadets parents this really isn't something you should be concerned with. 

To answer you're overall question if all requirements have been complete IE:

1) Leadership Test
2) AE Test
3) PT Test
4) Comprehensive test (If a milestone achievement)
5) Promotion board (based on a CAPF50 for specific level)

Then there should be no delay unless the reasoning is there and it was documented on the CAPF50 as to why the cadet will not be promoted.  You claim to have searched the regs and manuals yet the process is spelled out as to what is needed for a cadet to promote. 

If you are the cadet in question or a parent you need to talk to the CC and ask why.  If nothing then you move up to the GP.  But best have your ducks in a row and documented prior to going up. 

darkmatter

Be warned some times seniors will sometimes stall a cadets promotion. They can do it with over nit picking minor things that a cadet is trying to work on to hold off promotions. Depending on who you are trend lightly some seniors don't like being called out. I know it nearly costed me my cadet career. Now it's my senior member mission to not let this stuff happen to other cadet and to see they get promotion they have earned.

kwe1009

Quote from: darkmatter on November 22, 2017, 01:19:58 AM
Be warned some times seniors will sometimes stall a cadets promotion. They can do it with over nit picking minor things that a cadet is trying to work on to hold off promotions. Depending on who you are trend lightly some seniors don't like being called out. I know it nearly costed me my cadet career. Now it's my senior member mission to not let this stuff happen to other cadet and to see they get promotion they have earned.

Very good advice!

TheSkyHornet

You need to exercise caution here on any hearsay.

Did a member of the senior command staff explain to the cadet that he/she is being sustained in grade? As a cadet, you will not have access to that information regarding another cadet.

Are you sure the cadet met all of the criteria? Again, this is something you, as a cadet, will not have access to. That information is stored in eServices and is only accessible to a certain group of senior members.