Main Menu

Seems Odd...

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, November 19, 2017, 08:45:00 PM

West MI-CAP-Ret

As I contemplate whether to remain attached to CAP via having a Patron membership, or simply retiring, I'm taken back by the fact that supporting CAP via Patron status gives you a few more benefits,  but you can't wear the CAP blazer (what is the point of retaining your cap grade earned).  At least as a retired member you can wear the cap blazer that includes your last grade earned.

Any thoughts?  Patron status is attractive because it allows a member to continue to support the organization, but no one will know you're a patron of CAP.  Huh?

Lot's to think about.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

dwb

The categories of membership are for different use cases. It's rare that someone is considering one or the other.

Either you're just a financial supporter of CAP, in which case uniform wear doesn't make sense, or you're retired after many years of service, and maybe you're just getting invited to occasional banquets, in which case it makes sense to wear your earned grade.

Eclipse

Quote from: DemonOps on November 19, 2017, 08:45:00 PM
As I contemplate whether to remain attached to CAP via having a Patron membership, or simply retiring, I'm taken back by the fact that supporting CAP via Patron status gives you a few more benefits,  but you can't wear the CAP blazer (what is the point of retaining your cap grade earned).  At least as a retired member you can wear the cap blazer that includes your last grade earned.

Any thoughts?  Patron status is attractive because it allows a member to continue to support the organization, but no one will know you're a patron of CAP.  Huh?

Lot's to think about.

The CC or PDO who has to deal with your records will know, not to mention you will continue to
show up on rosters, and depending on who is doing the math, may wind up being reported in
the active category even though you are not.

If you're done with CAP, take the retirement or let things lapse and move on. There's no practical advantage
to anyone beyond the check, and if you're dead set on writing one, then donate it to the local unit
instead of NHQ, they will appreciate it a lot more.

You can still show up to meetings and banquets if you're invited as a non-member, just like
any other guest can.  You could even teach and instruct as long as you're supervised.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2017, 09:52:43 PM

If you're done with CAP, take the retirement or let things lapse and move on.

^^^ That will be me when its time to go. No fanfare, I'll just stop going to meetings and move on to something else. I'm either 'in or out'.  After a year or so, if I were to show up at a banquet or other affair, most of the folks there might be new and wouldn't care about seeing some old geezer like me trying to tell them stories about 'the good old days' of CAP.

CAP meetings are not an American Legions Post, for folks to keep hanging on. ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."