CAPR 60-1, 99 Lead Balloons

Started by Eclipse, November 14, 2017, 04:10:00 AM

LSThiker

Cadetter

Question on PT under the new program (my squadron isn't using it yet). For a cadet with promotion effective 4 Jan or later, but before 1 Feb, who passes the old physical fitness test (that can be used until 31 Jan), does that counts towards their promotion (effective 1 Mar or later), or must they also score HFZ in February to be eligible?
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Bump. And my CDC and CC weren't certain and will look into it - they suggested that I do so too. I'm asking both for me and another cadet (neither of us is in Phase 1).
Earhart Award, 2018

NC Hokie

I just reread the relevant parts of CAPR 60-1 and confirmed that the new CPFT becomes mandatory on 1 Feb 2018.  Cadets can complete achievements and milestones using he old CPFT until 31 January.  After that, they must meet the standards of the new CPFT, even if they have already passed the old one.

The same goes for the new SDA program, too.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 02, 2018, 02:30:59 AMAfter that, they must meet the standards of the new CPFT, even if they have already passed the old one.

Cite please - I see the verbiage regarding being able to maintain the old programs at the unit's option,
but nothing regarding caets having to re-do something already completed.

Absent something concrete, my assumption would be that "done is done", regardless of which
program, and only those pieces not completed would be under the new program after Feb.

We have a couple of cadets on the fence and while we're not doing HFZs until our first PT day in Feb
(which is post the new reg), I had them do the new SDAs because I knew they wouldn't be done and
didn't want them to do it twice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

I'm just doing my Achievement 12 SDA under the new program (since Earhart is effective in a couple of days) - even though I COULD complete the old one before Feb, the new one will more effectively force me to practice public speaking. The freebie document/presentation (i.e. resume) is awesome, too, although that shall be reserved for the school year (when I don't have loads of free time to spend on unfamiliar documents). Later achievements under the old program seemed quite useful, though, so it's sad to see that one leave...

I'm somewhat doubtful on old, passed PT not counting, but I couldn't find any hard language in 60-1 saying that it doesn't (maybe I'm misreading phaseout language). My CDC isn't certain how eServices will treat old CPFT in the promotions module after 1 Feb.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on January 02, 2018, 03:02:31 AMMy CDC isn't certain how eServices will treat old CPFT in the promotions module after 1 Feb.

Optimism says that the new system will be turned on at midnight on 31 Jan.

History says we will be asking "when" in July.

"That Others May Zoom"

TX CAP Mom

I was looking at the Cadet Super Chart:

CAPVA 60-100, Cadet Super Chart
Updated to reflect the new CPFT and SDA rules. The Super Chart is available online, formatted for printing on two sheets of letter-size paper. We also plan to provide every squadron with a poster-size version in early 2018.
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Super_Chart__2017_letter__combined_17CB4F9432F4D.pdf

My son is a C/Amn. For physical fitness the wording is that he has to have "attempted" CPFT in the last 180 days. What does that mean? If he attends PT night, participates to the best of his ability, but does not make all the HFZ standards, is he still eligible to promote to 1st Class (Arnold), then Sr Amn (Feik), with just "attempts"? But has to have actually achieved HFZ for the Wright Bro? Or is the attempt vs achieve at the discretion of the squadron leadership?

Cadetter

He is eligible for promotion for C/A1C and C/SrA with "attempts" but needs to achieve HFZ for the Wright Brothers. Of course, if he isn't scoring in HFZ, he should work out to meet the standard in order to continue to promote. Attempt vs achieve is not discretionary. :)
Earhart Award, 2018

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2018, 02:40:30 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on January 02, 2018, 02:30:59 AMAfter that, they must meet the standards of the new CPFT, even if they have already passed the old one.

Cite please - I see the verbiage regarding being able to maintain the old programs at the unit's option,
but nothing regarding caets having to re-do something already completed.

Absent something concrete, my assumption would be that "done is done", regardless of which
program, and only those pieces not completed would be under the new program after Feb.

We have a couple of cadets on the fence and while we're not doing HFZs until our first PT day in Feb
(which is post the new reg), I had them do the new SDAs because I knew they wouldn't be done and
didn't want them to do it twice.

My cite is logic and past experience with CAP program changes.  The new CPFT and SDA protocols go into effect on 1 Feb 18 and there are no provisions in 60-1 for accepting the old protocols after that date.  Your third paragraph indicates that you recognize and accept this with the SDA program, so what's different with the CPFT?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 02, 2018, 03:45:21 PMYour third paragraph indicates that you recognize and accept this with the SDA program, so what's different with the CPFT?

The SDA, being a culmination of the service, would not likely be done yet, the CPFT already is from Dec.

Absent the specific language in the reg, I can't see how NHQ would uncheck boxes already checked, especially
for cadets.  That's penalizing them for the calendar and a sure way to incur the wrath of mom.

That could delay a cadet's progression weeks or even months if things don't alighn.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Does anyone know if CAPP 216 (CP Specialty Track) will be changing to reflect DDR, or will planning a DDR activity still be part of the Tech Rating requirements?

I have a couple of seniors who are awaiting sign-offs, and that's really the only thing holding them up at this point.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 08, 2018, 08:53:22 PM
Does anyone know if CAPP 216 (CP Specialty Track) will be changing to reflect DDR, or will planning a DDR activity still be part of the Tech Rating requirements?

I have a couple of seniors who are awaiting sign-offs, and that's really the only thing holding them up at this point.

What level are they waiting on?

And What, specifically, is holding the up now?

"That Others May Zoom"

foo

I don't know the answer to your question, but "planning a DDR activity" is not currently a requirement for achieving a Technician rating in the Cadet Programs track.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2018, 09:08:05 PM

Technician Rating.

No hold up. Just verifying before I finish up the sign off.

Quote from: foo on January 08, 2018, 09:36:21 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but "planning a DDR activity" is not currently a requirement for achieving a Technician rating in the Cadet Programs track.

Yes, it is.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P216_A3EECB272DFF7.pdf

15th item down on the Tech checklist:
Assist in planning and presenting a DDR lecture or DDRx activity at a weekly squadron meeting.

foo

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 09, 2018, 03:54:41 PM

Technician Rating.

Yes, it is.

Assist in planning and presenting a DDR lecture or DDRx activity at a weekly squadron meeting.

As you just demonstrated, "planning a DDR activity" is not a "requirement." If you're telling people it is, you may be making it sound like more of a challenge than it needs to be.

Be more precise.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: foo on January 09, 2018, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 09, 2018, 03:54:41 PM

Technician Rating.

Yes, it is.

As you just demonstrated, "planning a DDR activity" is not a "requirement." If you're telling people it is, you may be making it sound like more of a challenge than it needs to be.

Be more precise.

Back up..... huh?

What part of "assist in planning and present a DDR activity" is not a requirement. The checklist literally says that's a must for a Tech Rating.

If you're getting caught up on the semantics of a lecture vs. activity, you're reading too much into this.

My question:
Is DDR going to remain a part of the CP Specialty Track qualification requirement for the Technician Level rating?

If I am working on a training schedule, do I need to include time to cover something DDR-related so that this box will be checked for our CP Officers seeking their Tech Rating?

foo

It's not about semantics, sir. Both terms are used, separated by the conjunction "or." They are obviously distinctly different events. And the requirement is to assist (as in help another more experienced officer) to plan and present one of those events.

If that checklist item is holding people up from getting the rating, let's not make it seem more involved than it needs to be to get it done.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: foo on January 09, 2018, 05:16:59 PM
It's not about semantics, sir. Both terms are used, separated by the conjunction "or." They are obviously distinctly different events. And the requirement is to assist (as in help another more experienced officer) to plan and present one of those events.

If that checklist item is holding people up from getting the rating, let's not make it seem more involved than it needs to be to get it done.

::)

DDR. Period. On any level. Whether a DDR lecture, or DDR activity.

I'm reading this as, while the DDR program is being overhauled and not a stand alone program as it used to be, the DDR lesson is still a requirement for the specialty track.

If that's accurate, I'll coordinate with our staff to have a DDR topic during a meeting. If not, we'll bypass it and move on. It sounds like the former.

And that's all I'm asking---which I'm regretting at this point.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 09, 2018, 06:23:57 PM
I'm reading this as, while the DDR program is being overhauled and not a stand alone program as it used to be, the DDR lesson is still a requirement for the specialty track.

If that's accurate, I'll coordinate with our staff to have a DDR topic during a meeting. If not, we'll bypass it and move on. It sounds like the former.

And that's all I'm asking---which I'm regretting at this point.

My comment was essentially based on "Why is this a question?" 

DDRx, such that it is, still exists, and the DDRx activities are still a part of the specialty track, so
what difference does it make if NHQ might change things tomorrow?

Until the pamphlet changes, or their is a relief from a requirement such as with the ECI tests,
you just do what it says to the subjective approval of your CC and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"