Helping Out the Army

Started by etodd, October 28, 2017, 02:36:09 AM

etodd

Our Wing had a good mission three days this week helping some Army ATC trainees. They had a portable GCA radar/tower system set up at a small airport, and various CAP planes from across the state would spend a few hours each day flying very wide patterns and being vectored for approach. They really seemed to enjoy our help and were appreciative.  They would put us on 10-12 mile finals and call out headings. I would deliberately drift off course just to let them say I was right or left of course and give me an intercept heading. Fun funded flying for the CAP pilots and gave the Army folks lots of good practice. I believe this is the third time we have done it this year. Looks like it may continue.  Another great use of CAP resources.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

ASE002

Excellent exercise and practice for all.  How do you coordinate an exercise like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live2Learn

Great report.  Everybody involved had an opportunity to hone skills. 

SarDragon

I split off the nonsense. Let's keep it on topic and realistic.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NC Hokie

Quote from: ASE002 on October 28, 2017, 12:08:50 PM
Excellent exercise and practice for all.  How do you coordinate an exercise like this?

I'm not involved in the exercise, but my understanding is that the NCNG and CAP leveraged an existing relationship at the state level to make this happen. I see regular requests and schedules to support this mission, so it seems that the NCNG likes what CAP is doing.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

etodd

Quote from: NC Hokie on November 20, 2017, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: ASE002 on October 28, 2017, 12:08:50 PM

I'm not involved in the exercise, but my understanding is that the NCNG and CAP leveraged an existing relationship at the state level to make this happen. I see regular requests and schedules to support this mission, so it seems that the NCNG likes what CAP is doing.

The top post and photo were of the ALWG helping the Army at an undisclosed Alabama location. We'll be back there next month at some undisclosed time for another full week of approaches and patterns. Yes, looks like it'll be a regular deal. Great practice for them and keeps our CAP planes and crews in the air and current. :)

(Everyone in the area, locals, seem to know whats going on, so I don't think its a secret at all. But I left the location as 'undisclosed' for those here that like to go all OPSEC on me. LOL)

Flying Pig

Was this a funded mission or were crews footing their own bills for the flying?

NC Hokie

Quote from: etodd on November 21, 2017, 12:49:02 AM
The top post and photo were of the ALWG helping the Army at an undisclosed Alabama location. We'll be back there next month at some undisclosed time for another full week of approaches and patterns. Yes, looks like it'll be a regular deal. Great practice for them and keeps our CAP planes and crews in the air and current. :)

My bad.  NCWG is doing a similar mission.  Please carry on.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

etodd

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 21, 2017, 12:53:23 AM
Was this a funded mission or were crews footing their own bills for the flying?

Fully funded flying. And a nice free buffet lunch on top. Cost me nothing but my time. Looking forward to it again next month.

LATORRECA

Quote from: etodd on October 28, 2017, 02:36:09 AM
Our Wing had a good mission three days this week helping some Army ATC trainees. They had a portable GCA radar/tower system set up at a small airport, and various CAP planes from across the state would spend a few hours each day flying very wide patterns and being vectored for approach. They really seemed to enjoy our help and were appreciative.  They would put us on 10-12 mile finals and call out headings. I would deliberately drift off course just to let them say I was right or left of course and give me an intercept heading. Fun funded flying for the CAP pilots and gave the Army folks lots of good practice. I believe this is the third time we have done it this year. Looks like it may continue.  Another great use of CAP resources.

Thumbs up