Longshot: WTB or Trade, Camelbak Motherlode

Started by NIN, August 17, 2017, 01:22:03 PM

NIN

I have a Camelbak BFM that, while I love, is one of those packs thats just "slightly too big for day to day use".

The BFM, for those unfamiliar, is a slightly taller Camelbak Motherlode with a wide pocket across the back/bottom and two tall pockets on the sides:

(Motherlode on the left, BFM on the right)

I do more civilian hiking than CAP ground ES these days, so having this big tactical 72-hr-sized pack is just an invitation for me to jam everything PLUS the kitchen sink into it. Then I feel like this while hiking up the side of a 5,000 footer in the White Mtns.

(I had this same problem many years ago when I traded a Medium ALICE pack for a Large.  Holy smokes, I didn't know I *owned* that much stuff to put into a pack, but there I was, stuffing that thing full of things I didn't need..)

But I still need some sort of a "CAP backpack" for those times when we do something in the field, etc. (I just recently obtained a very nice EMS Summit 5500 for longer duration overnight-type hikes that will accommodate a sleeping bag, tent, stove, etc, so I have that end of the spectrum covered, and I have a nice Osprey 1200-1500 cubic inch pack for quick day hikes in the Whites, but its *red* so that's kind of a non-starter to me with the CAP uniform)

In any event, I'm looking for an old-style (1st Gen) Camelbak Motherlode in Foliage Green, in case anybody has one taking up space in their closet or footlocker.  I say "1st Gen" because I'm not a big fan of the current "2nd Gen" Motherlode pocket configuration.

First Gen config

2nd Gen config

Prefer foliage green, or black, as I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like his gear to be in the same (or different) camouflage pattern than his uniform, and also in case I need to use it for civilian purposes.

Willing to trade a BFM as pictured at the top with a one slightly wonky (but still functional) zipper and some extra Velcro sewn on to cover some crayon eater's Sharpie'd on ID info.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jester

Hope you find one.  For whatever reason it's hard to find some older generation Camelbak packs.  If I ever find a Hawg 500 from the generation previous to the current one I'm snatching it right up.  I had a great coyote one and some clown took it (and a highly valued unit patch) out of my vehicle (that I left unlocked like an idiot). 

I had a foliage one but I think it's a BFM (and I haven't seen it since the move to IL).