To click or not to click

Yes
4 (57.1%)
No
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 05:57:11 AM

KarolOpelski

Why does NBB give out the beret? And, no: I'm not looking for the "tradition" answer. They gave me that when I went. Honestly, what happens during the two weeks that merits someone a beret?

Eclipse

If you've been there you know the answer.

If you've been there and still don't understand, then your best bet would be to ask someone you know from the
year you went or who is on staff that you worked with.

You can find the history of Blue Beret here:
     http://nbb.cap.gov/
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Blue_Beret
     http://www.blueberet.org/

There are also extensive conversations regarding NBB on this board.  Search is your friend.

And if you're trolling the board, move on...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 09, 2017, 04:12:35 AM
Why does NBB give out the beret? And, no: I'm not looking for the "tradition" answer. They gave me that when I went. Honestly, what happens during the two weeks that merits someone a beret?
Why does someone have to "merit" a beret?
It is a hat.
It is used to develop esprit de corps in a special program.

Nothing else.
You don't like it.  Don't wear it.
If you are in command....don't allow it.

The I hate Blue Beret threads have been done and done.

Yeah!  What Eclipse said!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Ms./Mr. Opelski is a troll well-known to the NBB community. Mods, can we please lock this thread now before it gets out of hand?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on February 09, 2017, 03:03:16 PM
Ms./Mr. Opelski is a troll well-known to the NBB community. Mods, can we please lock this thread now before it gets out of hand?

If his name is Karol, with that last name, I'm assuming it's a male.

jeders

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 09, 2017, 03:26:10 PM

If his name is Karol, with that last name, I'm assuming it's a male.

I think it is a male, but I'm not 100% certain.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 04:23:43 AM

If you've been there and still don't understand, then your best bet would be to ask someone you know from the
year you went or who is on staff that you worked with.

You can find the history of Blue Beret here:
     http://nbb.cap.gov/
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Blue_Beret
     http://www.blueberet.org/

There are also extensive conversations regarding NBB on this board.  Search is your friend.

And if you're trolling the board, move on...

Thanks for the links. I actually have already seen these before, and nowhere can I find information on the actual decision to begin awarding the beret. All the pictures seem to indicate that the beret has been awarded since the inception of the activity. I understand that awarding berets for random things (HMRS) was in vogue back then, but that doesn't explain why anyone thought AirVenture was special.

Trust me, I've talked to many graduates and RBs over the past couple of years, and none have been able to convince me that there was a good reason.

I don't think this is a stupid question, either. My experience has lead me to believe that a majority of people went to the activity for the beret (inc. me) even if they find something better there. Once 2021 rolls around, all those people will have no reason to go.

If seems kinda odd, considering how people would become Security Forces, Green Berets, or whatever else in the military, even if there was no beret. I just don't see that kind of allure to the AirVenture program being there if there was no beret.

AirAux

So, am I to assume from the above that come 2012, there will be no more Blue Berets issued?  If so, why not?

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on February 09, 2017, 09:12:10 PM
So, am I to assume from the above that come 2012, there will be no more Blue Berets issued?  If so, why not?

Cause the Wayback machine is broken?

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

KarolOpelski

The question here is why not. Why someone put themselves under the sun, watch over a/c , do UDF to shut down ELTs and participate as extra hand for EAA show. Why they can't have it.
Maybe it's a way to demonstrate they are the closest thing to the AF SF in CAP and maybe that's the reason why they Awarded the blue beret.
Why not. Does it bother you?

BB is the one activity, I always want it to participate back in the 90's as cadet and never had the opportunity. It's good for the program and builds moral among the cadets when they attend. It develop sence of brotherhood and belonging upon completion of the encampment. So why not.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

LATORRECA

If I can I'll send all my cadets to BB, Ranger school and PJOC.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

KarolOpelski

Quote from: AirAux on February 09, 2017, 09:12:10 PM

2021 is the end of the transition period to ABUs. Berets are not authorized in ABUs.

KarolOpelski

Quote from: LATORRECA on February 09, 2017, 10:26:59 PM
KarolOpelski

Maybe it's a way to demonstrate they are the closest thing to the AF SF in CAP and maybe that's the reason why they Awarded the blue beret.
Why not. Does it bother you?

BB is the one activity, I always want it to participate back in the 90's as cadet and never had the opportunity. It's good for the program and builds moral among the cadets when they attend. It develop sence of brotherhood and belonging upon completion of the encampment. So why not.

That's an interesting one that I haven't hear yet. Comparing NBB to SecForces is an interesting comparison. It might actually be the closest comparison in CAP. I don't believe that it warrants a beret, but it may be close in some respects.

Moral, brotherhood, and belonging aren't really an argument for the beret. You can find those in multiple professions in the military (and CAP) that do not get a beret. Also, with that logic, the ones who don't feel belonging in Oshkosh wouldn't qualify for the beret, even if they did the work. None of these can be what makes NBB stand out.

KarolOpelski

Ms./Mr. Opelski is a troll well-known to the NBB community.

Well known?

I'm sure Lt Col Robert Williams (@Eclipse) and his colleagues can choose to interact with whoever they want.

Eclipse

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 10, 2017, 01:00:23 AM

Well known?

I'm sure Lt Col Robert Williams (@Eclipse) and his colleagues can choose to interact with whoever they want.

Feel better? Aim it where it belongs and leave me out of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Eclipse on February 10, 2017, 02:52:08 AM
Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 10, 2017, 01:00:23 AM

Well known?

Feel better? Aim it where it belongs and leave me out of it.

Not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that you CAPTalkers can do whatever you want.

Your name isn't a secret, and I think it's more respectful to use it. My apologies if that came across the wrong way.

Eclipse

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 10, 2017, 03:25:32 AM
Your name isn't a secret, and I think it's more respectful to use it. My apologies if that came across the wrong way.

Accepted, let's leave it at that.  People have handles for a reason, and anonymous or not.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

I have a feeling PM's were sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SarDragon

Aaaannnnnd - the AYEs have it. Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret