Main Menu

24Hr Pistol Belt Kit

Started by NineteenTen, January 07, 2017, 03:30:46 AM

waukwiz

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2017, 07:16:46 PM
If you decide to use the mag pouches, you may want to consider cutting off the grenade straps as they are all but useless for CAP gear.

"Desperation breeds innovation"

I diacovered that the grenade straps are PERFECT for McDonald's breakfast burritos.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Eclipse

Quote from: waukwiz on January 08, 2017, 07:31:16 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2017, 07:16:46 PM
If you decide to use the mag pouches, you may want to consider cutting off the grenade straps as they are all but useless for CAP gear.

"Desperation breeds innovation"

I diacovered that the grenade straps are PERFECT for McDonald's breakfast burritos.

Point taken.

"That Others May Zoom"

NineteenTen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 08, 2017, 07:15:34 PM
I would still recommend something resembling an actual meal at least during training, so you don't have to argue the finer points of it with a SET.

NineteenTen, any chance we'll be seeing you at NESA this year?

I'll actually be going to HMRS this year because it's much closer to me and many cadets from my squadron are graduates of there.

If i score well on my wing's NCSA review board I'll most likely be at NBB this year.

kwe1009

You will likely not be away from base camp for more than a few hours at a time so the need to carry tons of stuff is pretty low.  You really want to minimize what you carry on a field sortie as that weight adds up as the time passes when you are out in the woods, hills, etc.  I use an ALICE setup similar to the OP photo and it works well and is better at weight distribution than a back pack.

Packing gear for ES reminds me of the first few times I deployed to the Middle East.  The first time I had a ton of gear and each time I deployed after that I had less and less gear and also found ways to get multiple uses out of the items that I did carry.  The first time I participated in a SAREX and real mission I had a ton of stuff and that list has gotten smaller over the years.  I still have all of the recommended items (even the fishing kit) but most stays at base camp.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 08, 2017, 07:46:31 PM
Packing gear for ES reminds me of the first few times I deployed to the Middle East.  The first time I had a ton of gear and each time I deployed after that I had less and less gear and also found ways to get multiple uses out of the items that I did carry.  The first time I participated in a SAREX and real mission I had a ton of stuff and that list has gotten smaller over the years.  I still have all of the recommended items (even the fishing kit) but most stays at base camp.

Read and heed this, which is why you don't want to spend a lot of money from day 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

When I started packing my 24-hr pack, I started using the pistol belt / suspenders / ammo pouches with small pack. After awhile did not like it as I could not get all the stuff in the 24-hr pack list plus the GTL stuff.

Then I changed to an ALICE medium. After awhile I also found things to dislike it. Whenever I needed something it was like looking for something in a bottomless pit. Also the shoulder straps. As I walked, the shoulder straps kept moving down the shoulders. I did not have a chest strap which would have prevented the downward creep. I would start walking, every 15 minutes the shoulder straps would be like 1 / 3 down my arms and off the shoulders.

Now I use a pack similar to the Level III pack. I find everything when I need it, the straps stay in place, and I have a little space extra for my GTL stuff as well. However not satisfied with the need to carry personal medication so I add a "paratrooper's first aid kit" on the outside. Very happy with this choice.

Never tried an assault vest, but had I not found the Level III I would have tried it. I think these vests would have been better than the pistol belt / suspenders combination or the ALICE med pack.

:)

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

stillamarine

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 08, 2017, 07:46:31 PM

My first float I had two seabags, an ALICE large, a parachute bag and a garment bag. (Luckily we had a Conex box I could load all that on). By the third cruise I had a seabag, the MOLLE pack (the first ones we got) and an old ALICE medium.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

NC Hokie

Quote from: Spam on January 08, 2017, 04:52:10 PM
After comparative ruck testing in the field, and given economic factors for most entry level members, we've long since standardized on packs like this, known generally as "Level III assault packs", currently for all of $29.97 plus shipping etc.:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mil-tec-level-iii-assault-pack-olive-drab-heavy-duty-600-denier-polyester-construction-4046872175138.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Does this ruck have two or three columns of PALS webbing down the side of the main compartment? I want to know if I can attach a MOLLE canteen pouch there or not.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 09, 2017, 07:26:19 PM
After comparative ruck testing in the field, and given economic factors for most entry level members, we've long since standardized on packs like this, known generally as "Level III assault packs", currently for all of $29.97 plus shipping etc.:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mil-tec-level-iii-assault-pack-olive-drab-heavy-duty-600-denier-polyester-construction-4046872175138.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Does this ruck have two or three columns of PALS webbing down the side of the main compartment? I want to know if I can attach a MOLLE canteen pouch there or not.

William,  you really don't want that pack.  Talk to Wing.  They should still have a bunch of the USMC assault packs that are far more comfortable and far more versatile than this thing.  And yes, you can attach MOLLE pouches to the assault packs that Wing has.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Spam

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on January 10, 2017, 12:17:24 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on January 09, 2017, 07:26:19 PM

William,  you really don't want that pack.  Talk to Wing.  They should still have a bunch of the USMC assault packs that are far more comfortable and far more versatile than this thing.  And yes, you can attach MOLLE pouches to the assault packs that Wing has.

Free has a quality all its own!!!

;D

NC Hokie

Quote from: Spam on January 10, 2017, 02:05:20 AM
Free has a quality all its own!!!

;D

Indeed, and that is a quality that I'd rather leave for cadets and other financially challenged members. Besides,I'm looking for something that will be used for more than CAP, and MARPAT doesn't go well with my civilian attire.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Luis R. Ramos

Regarding MRE striping, I do that after a few weeks of buying a new one.

I open it, eat all the candy and/or deserts whether I am on a mission or not, and put the main entry in the pack!

8)

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Do you do pin stripes, or the big wide ones?  ;) ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SKYKING607

A basic pistol belt, canteen cover holding canteen (and canteen cup), IFAK pouch is the basic-basic need.

Next step up would be to invest in a military Camalbak with storage pouch features.

Then look at packs. 

Start with your basic needs and move up the ladder accordingly.  Save your $$$.

CAWG Career Captain

waukwiz

Quote from: SKYKING607 on January 19, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

A basic pistol belt, canteen cover holding canteen (and canteen cup), IFAK pouch is the basic-basic need.

Next step up would be to invest in a military Camalbak with storage pouch features.

Then look at packs. 

Start with your basic needs and move up the ladder accordingly.  Save your $$$.

Not according to task O-0001

Cadet Cullen Mayes
GLR-WI-048
"Flight Sergeant, why are we standing here in the mud?"

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

SarDragon

Could you add some further, detailed discussion?

I'm not going to post the entire task requirement, but here's the Reader's Digest version, highlithts mine:

QuoteCollect and efficiently pack all items required of a ground team member. The enclosed list is the suggested
national list.
Wings may have supplemented this list to suit their environment with national approval, so be sure
to use your approved wing list.

a. Equipment is divided into two parts -- the 24-hour pack for short activities (typical field gear) and the
72 hour pack for longer duration activities (typically called base gear). This gear list was derived from the gear
lists suggested by several CAP wings and other organizations including the National Association for Search and
Rescue (NASAR), and modified to meet CAP needs.
1) The 24 hour pack is what you carry while searching. As its name infers, in case of an
emergency, this equipment will help you survive in the wilderness for 24 hours. In addition, your 24 hour pack
is part of your uniform -- when the public sees you on a mission, they will probably see you wearing your field
gear. Because of this, your 24 hour pack must present a professional uniform appearance. Though packs do not
need to be identical, it is advantageous for unit members to have similar 24-hour packs.
Every ground team
member will have this equipment.
2) The extended duration pack is designed to help you live in the field for more than one day,
typically 48 to 72 hours. It includes your sleeping bag, tent, and other long term comfort items. The extended
duration is not subject to uniformity -- color and size does not matter. The major constraint is how much you
can carry.
Even if the mission is only expected to last one day, you should always bring your base gear. You
never know how long a mission will last, or whether you will go straight to another mission from the current
one.

How does this conflict with what's been posted above?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

oweng_01

Theirs really two ways to go about this, One you can use the Pistol belt and suspenders combined with a small backpack or you can use the E-LBV and attach the a pistol belt to it. If your going to do the first way only put 2 canteens, 2 m16 mag pouches, and maybe an angle head light that way you don't get bogged down while switching between Backpack and LBE. The E-LBV you can just throw a butt pack on and some M16 pouches and be fine. Just know that you will be very limited and will have to cut out many items you want but are not required. Just my 2 cents.

---Local SAR Guy

Hummingbird

I use a MOLLE vest with plenty of extra room to add more pouches if need be. Water bottle carriers are nice because they take less room(thinner than a canteen) and can carry a can of soup in each in addition to water. I have everything I need from the 24HR list and a couple of extra things I wanted to add. Weight is nicely distributed too. And if need be, I can carry about 50,000 pens on it too.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390