Main Menu

Information About CAP

Started by bradg19bg19, September 01, 2016, 01:50:19 AM

bradg19bg19

Hi,

Im a huge fan of aviation and in the beginning and slow process of trying to get my private pilots license. I enjoy helping people and am very interested in the CAP. I am wondering if somebody could give me a broad overview of what I  could expect as a newcomer. I am 32 years old and not sure how any of this works.

Thanks,
Brad

etodd

Quote from: bradg19bg19 on September 01, 2016, 01:50:19 AM
Hi,

Im a huge fan of aviation and in the beginning and slow process of trying to get my private pilots license. I enjoy helping people and am very interested in the CAP. I am wondering if somebody could give me a broad overview of what I  could expect as a newcomer. I am 32 years old and not sure how any of this works.

Thanks,
Brad

Visit your local Squadron. If you have more than one, visit at least a couple times or more each. Meet the folks and see what they actually do .... not what the brochures and website videos say CAP does. They can be as different as night and day. So much of what folks will start chiming in on this thread may not apply or apply in a different way locally.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

I completely endorse the suggestion to visit a couple of different units if you can. If you have only one, that's fine too, stop and and see if they're the right bunch of folks for you. CAP has so many different things that we do, not all units do all the same things. Some units focus a lot on cadets, some focus a lot of flying, and some even manage to focus on both.

So check out some squadrons and see what you think. You might be surprised and find yourself interested in some of our non-flying aspects as well.