Main Menu

Emergency Vehicle Lights

Started by afgeo4, May 29, 2007, 02:30:16 AM

afgeo4

I've noticed that many CAP vehicles have emergency lights on them... and many do not. Some have amber magnetics. Some full light bars. Some even have blue/red lights on them. Are there any CAP regs that preclude us from using emergency lights on corporate vehicles? What about POVs?

NYS law states that emergency vehicles can use the red light, volunteer firefighters are authorized blue lights, volunteer ambulance - green lights, and everyone may employ amber/white lights when needed. What makes an emergency vehicle? That isn't stated in a DMV document. Are we an emergency vehicle when responding to a SAR call?

What's the situation around the country?
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

CAPR 77-1 10.f
QuoteMarking of rescue vehicles must conform to federal, state, and local laws. The type of light bar used on vehicles must be approved in writing by the wing commander (region commander if a region vehicle) and must follow the narrowest guidelines established by the resident state and all surrounding states. The colors used on approved light bars will be amber or amber/white. The colors red and blue on light bars or the use of sirens are not authorized for use on any CAP vehicle.

afgeo4

I noticed this does not cover POVs...
GEORGE LURYE

Eeyore

My former Squadron Commander had a POV set up with a red/blue light bar, granted that was back in 1997.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 02:40:41 AM

POV's are POV's.  You need to check with your local ordinance's about what you can carry.

However, I doubt you will be allowed red/blue.  All Amber lights mean is caution.

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 02:40:41 AM

Join a volunteer fire company.....then get your lights.  Not sure if you want them, but don't get the lights for the POV, and use the reason it's for CAP SAR missions.  Thats a huge NO-GO!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

States are getting more and more picky about these red/blue emergency lights and I sure wouldn't put them on my personal vehicle unless their use on CAP missions was pretty clearly authorized in state law.  It does appear that CAP regs are silent on the issue of POV lightbars since the quote I gave was from a section specific to corporate vehicles, but I'm sure the intent is that POVs follw state laws.

ZigZag911

Captain, I believe NY state in general, and particularly NYC, is very strict about who is permitted red/blue emergency lights.

ELTHunter

If it were me, I'd stick with an amber mag mount light.  Just something to let you be seen better on back roads.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

SAR-EMT1

Does IOWA - with its close relationship with the Government and the Guard have any particular setup in this regard? -- Feel free to answer on the IOWA page.

GREEN lights on an ambulance?  ???  ??? Uh.... > Blink < WHY?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 04:17:30 AM
Does IOWA - with its close relationship with the Government and the Guard have any particular setup in this regard? -- Feel free to answer on the IOWA page.

GREEN lights on an ambulance?  ???  ??? Uh.... > Blink < WHY?

Good question, especially since green lights are generally used to mark incident command posts.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Flying Pig

In Ca., you get nothing but yellow. 

Ive written a lot of kids, even an adult or two, cites for steady burning reds.  Someone got the wild idea that if you put a red lens on your fog lights in your grill....people get out of your way?!  Nope...only I get to do that kiddo.......Sign here please.   ;D

If you have red and blues on your POV, you asking to get yourself arrested in Ca.  Let me rephrase that......your a bonehead if you have Code 3 (reds and blues) Equipment on your POV without authorization.  Ca, is VERY strict on vehicle lighting equipment.   About the only civilian agency vehicles that are allowed red lights and sirens are ambulances and armored cars.  And for armored cars it is to serve as a robbery alarm.

I believe CAP falls under the exemption in Ca. VC 25259.1 Disaster Service Worker-Amber Warning Lights.  There are some Govt Codes also.  The yellows are to increase visibility at disaster sights, not to exempt anyone from the vehicle code.  The yellow carries no authority with it.  One can go blind reading the vehicle code.  Once you think you have the answer, it says, "However, in the event of XXX.....refer to Section XXXX."   Or in many cases, actually refers you to a totally different book.

In Ca. Security Guards are authorized white, yellow or green or any combination of the three.  Any law enforcement or other emergency vehicle is actually ONLY required to have one forward facing steady burning red light and a siren.  All of the other flashing stuff, strobes, 360 degree red and blues, etc.  is just added by the individual agency. 

But....theres always a but......VC 165(f) says the Commissioner of the Highway Patrol can pretty much deem any vehicle an Emergency vehicle.

VC165.5 defines "Rescue Teams" as surgeons, nurses and volunteers who have been trained in CPR and are and have been designated by the owner operator of the vehicle to attempt to resuscitate persons who are in immediate danger of loss of life....yada yada yada..

Ive heard CAP members cite that section before, but it isn't referring to CAP.  When you read all the way to the bottom, it says you need to conform to standards established by a medical care committee, or area health planning committee. Basically, you need to be under an umbrella of a medical organization who conforms to state /county protocols for this to apply.

The Vehicle Code is like the Bible (just ask the CHP)....You cant just read the parts you like.  :o

Major Lord

Tow trucks and private security guards (non-sworn) have red lights on their vehicles on the Golden Gate Bridge (assault rifles too)
I would recommend 4 point strobes (inside your turn signals) or tail/backup/brake rear flasher controllers for POV's. Amber lights on POV's must be covered on CA vehicles when not actually involved in incidents. Contractors with commercial vehicles and Private Patrol Operators are a few of the exceptions.

Wigwags, red lights, sirens, etc. will certainly result in the CHP cutting out your liver with a spoon. Of course, there was that guy with the exposed firearm and red lights on a SAR mission....I understand he had a PCS to the arctic squadron...

Capt Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Flying Pig

Whoa now.....the Golden Gate Bridge is its own little world! ;D

PHall

Then to add to the mess, Utility and Construction Vehicles are allowed to have yellow lights in California.
We have them to make us easier to see so joe-can'tyouseeI'mtalkingonmycellphone-driver won't run into us.
BTW, I work for AT&T and I drive one of those trucks that just seem to jump out right in front said idiot drivers. ::)

Psicorp

Here in Michigan, regular tow trucks get the flashy red lights.  For some reason, tow trucks get two red lights on a single bar yet Michigan State Police cars only get one big round red light.

When I was in a volunteer fire dept. in Florida, we were allowed a red light in/on POVs, but we couldn't do more than 9 mph over the speed limit, still had to stop at red lights and stop signs, and other vehicles were not required to move over for us. 

Amber just makes more sense. 

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Flying Pig

As far as Ca. there are many types of vehicles that are allowed yellow lights.  Pages of them!

Major Lord

What I would much prefer, is a California License plate indicating that the POV is a Volunteer SAR vehicle, and showing clearly that we are USAF-AUX. Some states have these. ( Hey, there have to be more of us than there are Pearl Harbor Survivors, aren't there?)
This of course would require action at the Wing Level ( the Same Wing that took 3 years to get my Yaeger award printed....) It my not keep us from getting 417'd by the Air Police, but it might at least keep us form getting a ticket while driving HUA while trying to talk on a radio, read a map, GPS, and drink coffee at the same time ;)

Capt Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SJFedor

I can't find crap about it for PA or TN. Anyone have any idea?

I've once heard that SAR organizations can use red/amber combos, anyone heard that rumor?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Hoser

Can anyone give me a sentient reason WHY C.A.P. has any , even remote reason to have emergency lights of any form on our vehicles, especially corporate vehicles?
The very idea has "Randy Rescue", "Ambulance Chaser" and "Street Squirrel" written all over it.

Hoser