ForeFlight for CAP Missions

Started by 172heavy, June 23, 2016, 11:28:46 PM

172heavy

Is the use of Foreflight allowed on CAP missions? I see where the CAPFlight PRO etc. has all been discontinued.

Panzerbjorn

Is there anything to lead you to believe otherwise?  Not being sarcastic, just curious what spawned the question.  ForeFlight has SAR capabilities that were developed specifically for CAP, and as avionics get upgraded into the fleet, there's supposed to be installing the capability to wirelessly interface with iPads and the like to upload flight plan information from Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

172heavy

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 23, 2016, 11:40:38 PM
Is there anything to lead you to believe otherwise?  Not being sarcastic, just curious what spawned the question.  ForeFlight has SAR capabilities that were developed specifically for CAP, and as avionics get upgraded into the fleet, there's supposed to be installing the capability to wirelessly interface with iPads and the like to upload flight plan information from Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight.

No, just didn't want to make the assumption that it was OK. I am not a SAR/DR pilot yet, about to take my initial CAP 5 and studying the material for my MS final SQTR tasks. It seems that using fore-flight as a mission scanner is a no brainer! but common sense does not always prevail. I assumed that fore-flight would not have just added the CAP stuff for the heck of it but I figured I would ask.

That is great news that CAP is supposed to be supporting the technology! Thank you for the response.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: 172heavy on June 23, 2016, 11:28:46 PM
Is the use of Foreflight allowed on CAP missions? I see where the CAPFlight PRO etc. has all been discontinued.
Use of ForeFlight is definitely permitted in the cockpit for all aircrew and can be a great aid to SA.

However, aircrew should not be fixated on the device and must be eyes out to spot other traffic. During taxing this Is especially important as when the aircraft is moving all aircrew must be eyes out of the cockpit.

In addition, depending on the mission type the MS and MO may not have time to utilize their tablet. For example during a SAR/DR mission in the assigned grid or route the MS and MO need to be eyes down and into the grid/route during the search phase.

That aside, as an MP flying a C182T Nav III I use ForeFlight in the following ways:

1. W&B backup for when I can no longer use CAPFlight Pro
2. To enter in the SAR grid waypoints as a backup confirmation to new MO/MS's
3. For IFR plates
4. For ADS-B traffic
5. Quick A/FD
6. WX Briefing plus I call WX Brief
7. Graphical SIGMETS/AIRMETS and WX
8. Aerial and Street maps for Airborne Photography

When I'm flying the CAP Towplane it's my Moving Map/Hazard Advisor/etc.

172heavy

etodd

We fly a 172-G1000 ... but I still fly with iPad running Foreflight on a yoke mount. Love having the actual VFR charts for the moving map. The G1000 doesn't ... and much more.

Its another tool in the pilot's arsenal. The more the better. All working together. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

audiododd

If you want the official reference... CAPR 60-1

Quote2-12. Electronic Flight Bags / Electronic Chart Displays (EFBs / ECDs). Use of EFBs/ECBs will be conducted in accordance with Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) CAP Guidance located in the "CAPR 60-1 & Aircraft Ops Info" section of the National Aircraft Ops & Stan/Eval web page at http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/aircraft_ops__staneval/.

That will take you to the main Stan-Eval page and there you'll find the EFB Guidance which starts with:

QuoteEFBs may be used by CAP Pilots provided pilots are in full compliance with FAA
guidance and the guidance provided here:

Then it goes into basic rules/guidance.

Enjoy,

Dodd
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

172heavy

So what is the standard tool for planning a SAR/DR mission? I took the Mission Scanner Class several years ago, left CAP and now that I have returned I was just curious if the missions are being planned in Foreflight or on a sectional with the CAP Grid (Standard or Cell Cap) manually marked on the sectional.

Panzerbjorn

I learned first how to do it on paper, then on the technology.  Understand what it is you're trying to do and why you're doing it.  Then incorporate the technology.

That being said....I don't pull out a gridded sectional at all anymore.  I'll have one with me in the airplane, usually, unless I'm flying a G1000, but I do it all in ForeFlight.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

I can't remember the last time a "CAP Grid" was used for anything other then aircrew training.

I haven't heard them referenced in any missions, real or training, including USAF evals in probably 10+ years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

^^^ So of course after typing that, last night's sortie included a grid reference (it was training, afterall).

Anyway, I used Avare very effectively the entire flight.  GPS worked with no issues in the aircraft, and it includes CAP grids.

I had an issue with getting the track log to display, but I'm pretty sure it's a PEBCAT issue.

Otherwise, Avare is certainly a useful tool for those who have chosen Android over the Kool-Aid.

It also has the advantage of the low-low price of "free".

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

600 mile round trip yesterday. Nice going early morning. Return trip was late afternoon with a few scattered buildups.   I was never within 50 miles of anything, and would never attempt to really use this to try and run between buildups. But seeing them on Foreflight radar (even with a little delay) gave me a little peace of mind while giving them a wide berth. The more tools and information you have, the better. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on June 24, 2016, 09:17:12 PM
I can't remember the last time a "CAP Grid" was used for anything other then aircrew training.

I haven't heard them referenced in any missions, real or training, including USAF evals in probably 10+ years.

OHWG and PAWG use CAP Grids for flying missions for other agencies.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

RogueLeader

We use grids all the time here in Wyoming.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

We still use CAP grids for most things here in CAWG.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FlyNavy

ForeFlight is probably the best product you can use as a pilot to use in the cockpit.

I use it in the cockpit of both the E-6B Mercury, and the Cessna 182T.

The enhanced situational awareness that it provides, along with its simplicity to use make it a "no-brainer" for my missions with the Navy, and with CAP.

Just remember that you should be proficient with how to use the systems in your aircraft first...ForeFlight second.
Pilot, Oklahoma Wing
Qualifications: MP, MO, MS, AOBD, MSA, MRO, MSO, TMP, UDF, WS

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: FlyNavy on June 29, 2016, 05:11:07 AM
ForeFlight is probably the best product you can use as a pilot to use in the cockpit.

I use it in the cockpit of both the E-6B Mercury, and the Cessna 182T.

You fly the tiny and the big!

Live2Learn

Quote from: FlyNavy on June 29, 2016, 05:11:07 AM
...Just remember that you should be proficient with how to use the systems in your aircraft first...ForeFlight second.

AND be sure to pre-flight it, your iPad, and your skill set well before you show up at the airport.  Several iPad settings are a "no no" ... like auto update, for example. 

jmhayes

I think grid references are the fastest way to give location data when you're airborne.  I could give you a Lat/Lon, but by the time you read it back to me and we fix the mistakes we're likely to make, I'm no longer there.

I flew up to ORWG for Cascadia and during one of the sorties the base asked for our location, so I gave him the grid.  A few minutes later he called back and asked: can I have that in Lat/Lon?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: jmhayes on August 12, 2016, 12:37:33 AM
I think grid references are the fastest way to give location data when you're airborne.  I could give you a Lat/Lon, but by the time you read it back to me and we fix the mistakes we're likely to make, I'm no longer there.

I flew up to ORWG for Cascadia and during one of the sorties the base asked for our location, so I gave him the grid.  A few minutes later he called back and asked: can I have that in Lat/Lon?
Agreed, too bad it's not standard CAP wide.

Luis R. Ramos

I am very much surprised that it is used as much as all of you have told me.

In my wing it has never been used in any of the SAREX, TRAINEX, or TRAEX in the 15 years I have known the grid system, and participated, and thought it was the same in other wings.

Yet I agree it is far, far easier to use than Lat/Lon.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer