Main Menu

Kenwood TK3200s

Started by Eclipse, May 31, 2016, 05:52:03 PM

Eclipse

I just got a quantity of TK3200 radios w/ accessories from my brother in law.

I know they are useless for CAP use, but are these just fancy FRS / GMRS devices?

I'm trying to decipher what kind of license is needed.

Figured there were plenty of Comm people here who would know.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

I'm not familiar with these, but from initial googling it looks like they come in UHF and VHF flavors. Do you know which ones you have and what ranges they cover?

Holding Pattern

Ok, further googling indicates that if you get the exact model number in question we can pull the FCC ID and look at the product type acceptance (which part of the FCC rules governs its use) and then that will tell us what licenses you need to operate it.

SarDragon

They are pretty much useless for general use. The freq coverage is outside the ham bands, and depending on the specific model, only have 2, 8, or 15 channels. They are primarily for gov't, commercial, or public service use.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 31, 2016, 06:30:37 PM
Ok, further googling indicates that if you get the exact model number in question we can pull the FCC ID and look at the product type acceptance (which part of the FCC rules governs its use) and then that will tell us what licenses you need to operate it.

It just says TK-3200 on the label (TK-3200 019048 156785)
Looks like 8 channel.

This is FCC ID: https://fccid.io/ALH36923130

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

They appear to be UHF, and here's where they fit into the spectrum usage table: https://fccid.io/frequency-explorer.php?lower=450&upper=470 .

They are not type certified for FRS/GMRS, so that's out. I'm not sure what else you might use them for.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Well, I have some need for these in my business work, if it isn't an arm and a leg for the licenses, though I'm having some trouble deciphering which license
I'd even need, let alone the cost.

Looks like these go about $50 each on eBay, which is where they might be headed.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

The radio is type accepted for Part 95A - GMRS and Part 90 - Private Land Mobile. It is not authorized for FRS which is Part 95B.

Type acceptance is shown here: https://fccid.io/ALH36923130, and on the actual grant from the FCC which is attached.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eclipse

OK, so GMRS - will that fall under my existing GMRS license, or do I need $$$ other?

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

I can find no limitation on the number of "units" in the system, but you need to read Part 95 of the FCC rules and regs, and look at the Form 605 for licensing and renewal of GMRS systems.

Mike

Brad

There is no restriction on the number of GMRS stations that come under a license.

QuoteA GMRS system consists of station operators, a mobile station (often comprised of several mobile units) and sometimes one or more land stations...

https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

radioguy

Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2016, 05:52:03 PM

I'm trying to decipher what kind of license is needed.

Figured there were plenty of Comm people here who would know.

Apparently, these radios can be configured for UHF business and/or GMRS channels within a certain range.  Since some of the GMRS frequencies are shared with FRS, one could use them for that purpose as well, but the 2 watt RF output will require a GMRS or Part 90 business license.

John

Slim

Quote from: Brad on June 01, 2016, 09:07:14 AM
There is no restriction on the number of GMRS stations that come under a license.

I'll confess to not being well versed in part 95 and GMRS licenses, but as I recall, one license would only cover the license holder and any immediate family members.  Unless that's changed, that is.

Unless a direct family member, each user on a system/frequency would have to have their own license.

Slim

Brad

Quote from: Slim on June 02, 2016, 08:55:54 AM
Quote from: Brad on June 01, 2016, 09:07:14 AM

I'll confess to not being well versed in part 95 and GMRS licenses, but as I recall, one license would only cover the license holder and any immediate family members.  Unless that's changed, that is.

Unless a direct family member, each user on a system/frequency would have to have their own license.

Users, yes, but number of physical transceivers for a particular licensee is not limited, same as with Part 97.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN