Main Menu

Recruiting Members

Started by William K. Bolan, February 26, 2016, 01:18:58 PM

William K. Bolan

Can anyone give me advice on recruiting cadets and Senior members? I am helping out my squadron, MER-VA-064. We are trying to get the 15 member standard, and I think we have about 10 or 11; one is not renewing their membership in March.

William K. Bolan

I made business (recruiting) cards with the squadron info on them; and I am putting them in stores and gas stations.

THRAWN

There have been quite a few discussions on this topic. Use the search feature above to get some ideas on how to be successful in recruiting using targeted recruiting methods, cohorting, and effective strategies for identifying the types of members that your unit needs.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spaceman3750

Just had this conversation yesterday with a friend as well. #1 is run a program worth recruiting for. Recruiting for a boring program is a lot harder than recruiting for one that does a lot and as a result has lots of visibility. After that, make best friends with the media and put the cadets out front. Around here, the news loves stories about teenagers getting out and doing something. Start leveraging Facebook and social media to put all the cool things you're doing (remember, program worth recruiting for) out in front of the public eye, as well as inviting the media to the really cool stuff (O-Flights, SAREXs, etc).

My .02, as someone who has never commanded a squadron but seen one grow like gangbusters and from my view this was how they did it.

C/ID-073

Someone in my squadron a long time ago put an ad on Craigslist, to my surprise one senior member joined because of it, and that SM's still at my squadron. I don't think Craigslist is the way to go, and I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever-but I thought it was funny one of our senior members joined CAP because of craigslist. ??? Just a random story for you. :D

On a professional note, I agree with 'Spaceman' in using social media to your advantage. Pretty much everybody has social media. And a lot of people don't even know what Civil Air Patrol is. Also talk to friends and family see if they might be interested or know people who are interested. You'd be surprised!

Respectfully,
C/1stLt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

The CyBorg is destroyed

If I may say some hopeful words-of-one-who-has-been-there...

I spent nearly 20 years in CAP and I can give you some things not to do and counterpart with good things to do.

Take your people for granted.  They'll always be there and do their job, so unless they're keen on making themselves known to higher-ups, just let them be.
Corollary: Treat your people right. Reward them for jobs well done, no matter how mundane.  CAP does not get remunerated so things like promotions (when they qualify) Achievement Awards, Commander's Commendations, or just a plain and simple "thank you for a job well done and let me know if I can do anything else to help you be more efficient at what you do."

Lord it over them as if CAP should be their sole focus in life.  Demand that they be at every meeting, every activity and belittle them if they are not, for whatever reason (family circumstances, work issues, health issues, involvement in other fields).  If they're not working, in the can, ill to the point of death, they better be doing CAP.  This includes cadets who may already be overinvolved with other activities (school, athletics, religious commitments).
Corollary: Keep in mind that CAP is a volunteer programme and the people you recruit DO have lives and life circumstances that, though you may not understand them, at least show a little empathy for what time, talent and treasure they ARE giving you.

Treat CAP as if it is the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve.  Interpret CAPR's as if they are the UCMJ.  Rip them for every absence you believe to be unexcused and hold the Form 2B/transfer to Patron status/transfer to Ghost Squadron 000 for being an "empty shirt" over their heads like the Sword of Damocles.
Corollary:  Not even the ANG or AFRES did that, at least not when I served.  The only way I ever saw that happen is if an airman just blew off showing up for UTA's without any explanation.  If one had a reasonable explanation, one could make up the time missed, at my unit anyway.  Such a mindset should not be in a volunteer organisation such as CAP.

Once you've got their money and their fingerprints check out, and they've had the barest of Level I/CPPT administered, turn them loose.  It is entirely up to them to find a speciality track and learn it all by themselves.
Corollary:  This, to me, was one of the weakest parts of CAP.  Most units do not have a "mentoring" plan in place beyond getting the above-mentioned requirements done, except for cadets in certain ways.  A mentor should be assigned, where possible, to a new member for their first year (and it doesn't need to be the CC), to answer questions if nothing else.

Let them have the impression that once they have that gold bar on their epaulettes, they are virtually the same as military officers and should conduct themselves accordingly.
Corollary:  Remind them that their scope of authority is completely limited to CAP, and that they are not entitled to the privileges of a commissioned/warrant officer in any of the seven Uniformed Services or their Reserve components.  However, they should be thoroughly versed in customs and courtesies and proper wear of the uniform.

Give them the false impression that all CAP does is FLY, FLY, FLY and that ES overshadows the other two "legs" of the CAP "three-legged" stool to the point that it is the fulcrum (no, not the MiG-29) on which CAP "balances."
Corollary: Anyone who has been in CAP for a while knows that the members who fly are the exception, not the rule.  Maybe SMWOG Wetbehindtheears doesn't want to fly or go out on GT missions.  Don't belittle them if they have other foci (as I sadly saw in Senior squadrons especially).

Gloss over the unresolved issues/problems in CAP.  They'll find out soon enough!
Corollary:  Be honest with them!  There is a GOB/G network, stronger in some places than others.  If you expect to "climb the ladder" you will at some point have to kiss arse play politics.  This may be jarring to them, but honestly, would you rather have a member with a realistic vision of CAP than a falsely-idealised one who is going to get disgusted and quit once s/he DOES encounter politics/the GOB/G network?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Holding Pattern

I'm actively working on recruiting two members right now whom I am hoping will attend 1 meeting a month and take over the heavy lifting on Cyberpatriot for me. If the only thing they are doing is that and Level 1, that is a win for our squadron. One is a windows dba, the other a linux sysadmin. I'm working with my commander to make sure it is clear that they have zero interest in activities beyond this and that this won't be an issue.

I'd rather have a large squadron with poor statistics and high results than a small squadron with great statistics and low results.

Conversely, We will be tracking the performance of these single purpose resources to make sure we (SM and Squadron) are getting what we want out of the deal.

Assuming of course that we onboard them and that everything goes as planned...

(Long term I intend to do similar recruiting to better augment positions like PAO, Recruiting/Retention, and IT. There are a lot of talented people out there that can give a little time and effort if we don't scare them with a block of regs, uniform rules, and an appearance of being overworked.)

There are 2 approaches on recruitment to consider: Targeted, and untargeted.

Targeted: You are looking for members with specific interest and skills. Youth interested in flight, computers, community service, military exposure, etc. Adults similarly interested but with skills or will to back up that interest. You find these by going to where these people congregate: Colleges with HS dual programs, local private schools, community meetings specific to a CAP objective, etc.
Untargeted: You are looking for members. You find these by going to where people congregate: Anywhere you can set up a booth.

This also translates to an online approach using facebook/twitter/mewe/etc.

THRAWN

TARGETED: You're looking for ES types, pilots, AE, teachers, chaplains, lawyers, admin pros, cadets (get in good with your local school districts and focus on middle schools as a priority)...

UNTARGETED: fishing....cast a net and hope you bring something in. That's what you get from putting cards out at the grocery store...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Airplane girl

The way I discovered CAP was almost as random as the senior member who saw the craigslist add. It was through this magazine: http://www.discoverygirls.com.

(Please don't judge me, I was a 12 year old girl at the time)

CAPDCCMOM

When my son was about 8 he saw Cadets working at our local airport, marshaling planes. He wanted to join then and there. He joined on his 12th bday. Then, I asked how I could help..... famous last words ::)

EMT-83

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 26, 2016, 08:22:09 PM
When my son was about 8 he saw Cadets working at our local airport, marshaling planes. He wanted to join then and there. He joined on his 12th bday. Then, I asked how I could help..... famous last words ::)

Ditto!

Juice

Working with your local schools by putting on an open house and asking the schools to put it on their announcements is really easy. Being out in the community so people understand what CAP is and does helps gain interest from both adults and teens.  Placing flyers on Community Bulletin Boards or at places where teens hang out are others.

etodd

Get together with your local EAA group. When they do a Young Eagles program giving free flights to kids, your Cadets should be there helping and giving the kids something to aspire to. Hand out brochures to parents who are there with their kids.  EAA Eagle Flights are a great way to funnel kids into CAP. Often the kids flying with be under 12, but they get exposed and if you get parent's contact info , you can send them reminders and even ask them to like the Squadron's Facebook page (important).
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Look for local homeschool administrators and get brochures and info out to them. Invite them to visit. Home school groups are always looking for external activities. And homeschool kids are very flexible with availabilities. They can often be some of your more reliable and dedicated cadets.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Facebook ads.
Flyers.
Word of mouth.
An active, vibrant and interesting program.

And this:

Over 100 non-CAP folks at our Open House last night.

The CP staff have a pool going as to how big our next BCT class will be.
This was the last one that graduated in December:
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

They are all there for the free ABUs.

Seriously though...that is impressive.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPDCCMOM

VERY Impressive. Congrats.  :clap:

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on March 04, 2016, 12:23:12 PM
They are all there for the free ABUs.

"I would like the digitals."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

cnitas

That looks awesome NIN.  Might I ask if I could have the powerpoint, and what you guys do/ talk about at the open house other than the typical stuff found at the end of every CAP news release?

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on March 04, 2016, 12:23:12 PM

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this is what cohort recruiting does for you.

People say "We're too small to do it like that"
What they're really saying is "We're so small that we don't know how to manage our personnel and resources, so we prefer to do it the old fashioned and very inefficient way"

People say "We can't turn anybody away!"
What they're really saying is "We jump on any poor victim that walks in the door like a monkey on a cupcake and grab onto them like a Titanic survivor on a life ring" (too soon?)

People say "We don't want to grow too quickly.."
In 35 years, the number of units I've seen/heard say "We need to grow.." vastly exceeds the number of units that said "We grew too fast" or "We grew too much."

Seriously.

Cohort recruiting tends to be a function of unit size, anyway.  If you follow the model, a small squadron of 15 cadets and 5 seniors (just picking numbers out of thin air) might only pick up 3-4 recruits each time (initially). So you do 2 or 3 cohorts a year and pick up 6-10 new cadets a year. Pretty manageable, right?

If you apply the current organization-wide retention percentages, your nominal squadron of 15 cadets will have, say, a mix of 6 "first year cadets," and 9 "subsequent year cadets".   

So, with no recruiting at all:
1 Jan: 15 cadets
Minus 4 first year cadets and 2 subsequent year cadets.
31 Dec: 9 cadets

Come February this unit is a candidate for deactivation >:(

So really, how many cadets (and seniors) does this unit need to recruit this year only to grow just 10%?

1 Jan: 15 cadets, 5 seniors
Loss: (as above) 4 first year cadets and 2 subsequent year cadets
Senior Loss: 1
Recruiting: 9 cadets, 2 seniors
31 Dec: 18 cadets, 6 seniors

You had to replace OVER HALF of your squadron's original strength to grow just 10%.
Now, spread over two cohorts, thats 4 & 5 cadets.  The seniors you can treat slightly differently. :)

You can assign ONE cadet to a 4 or 5 cadet corhort to train them.  Pretty manageable, right?

If you trickled 9 cadets in over the course of the year, thats one cadet every 5-6 weeks-ish.  OK, so that's a Great Start class, but NINE TIMES.  I'll be fair: you get 8 to join as pairs and one walks in solo about 3 weeks after one pair.  Now you're looking at running Great Start just five times.   Any way you slice it, thats still a pretty inefficient training model and you're constantly running Great Starts, new member paperwork, membership boards, unit supply, etc.

Once you start building membership, things start happening, however. You get a more active program. More people begets more people and your unit grows, and as things grow more, you become more efficient which helps out retention.  So eventually, you start retaining better than the 25% first year, 65% subsequent year numbers.

The next year your squadron looks like this (keeping a 10% growth paradigm):

1 Jan: 18 cadets, 6 seniors (9 first year cadets and 9 subsequent year cadets)
Loss: (as above) 6 first year cadets and 2 subsequent year cadets
Senior Loss: 1
Recruiting: 10 cadets, 2 seniors
31 Dec: 20 cadets, 7 seniors

Pretty manageable, right?

I won't bore you with the extrapolation.

But think about my squadron:

67 cadets and 31 seniors.

If I just go by the national average, I'm going to lose 24 of my 32 first year cadets and 15 of my subsequent year cadets (more total than many squadrons HAVE)

That means I have to replace 19-20 cadets in 2016 just to break even.  And I need to replace 25-26 to grow 10%.

(I know there are people out there going "Wait, wat?")

So I need at least 13 cadets in each BCT to grow.

"But wait, NIN, you had 21 in your last BCT.."

"Yep. And around 12 or 13 in the one before that."

These are completely do-able numbers for us. Have been for YEARS with cohort recruiting.  In our sleep.

Retention is a fungible thing that moves around. Sometimes our first year retention is higher than the national average (30%, maybe). Sometimes, its 20%.  But usually we're around 28%-30% first year retention or more.  So we have more than 10% growth most of the time.

If you plan worst case scenario, if you plan based on the expected averages, then anything you do over that is "money in your pocket," so to speak.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: cnitas on March 04, 2016, 02:50:54 PM
That looks awesome NIN.  Might I ask if I could have the powerpoint, and what you guys do/ talk about at the open house other than the typical stuff found at the end of every CAP news release?

I will scarf the latest power point from the guy who did it, but the basic agenda looks like this:

5pm - Arrival, setup, feed the troops some pizza for helping.
(setup chairs, screen, technology and displays)
- Displays: Aerospace (gliders, simulator, any STEM stuff we have), ES (the usual junk-on-the-bunk style gear display, maybe radios, ELT/DF, and then a laptop with a short PPT looping with ES facts, CP display (this year our CP display sucked.. I admit!)
- Food: finger food.  (one mom made these gluten-free raspberry & almond bars.. *faint*)
6pm: color guard practices a few times
6:30pm: start herding people to seats
6:35pm: start the formal presentation.
- Quick Powerpoint (< 20 minutes) (find it here https://sites.google.com/a/nhwg.cap.gov/recruiting/) under "Presentations" on the right.. its the older one from 2013, feel free to mod! I'll get the 2016 slides)
- "Call to join" (stolen from the scouts... usually the c/CC or another well-spoken senior cadets who speaks personally)
- Q&A
- Any presentations
- Refreshments (here is where the *real* recruiting happens)

:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

cnitas

Thanks. 
We did a couple of events like this years ago and they were fairly successful.  The member who ran them is long gone now.  I would like to try and get our squadron's recruiting going again, and I am trying not to reinvent the wheel.
MER-MD-003

cnitas

Just read through the materials you posted. 

Wow! that is most helpful.  I know what I am going to be doing in the next few weeks!   8)
MER-MD-003

TheSkyHornet

Took NIN's advic--We held an Open House. While we didn't get the turnout he did, we picked up 11 new cadets and have two to three potential senior members that are considering joining. Our new class graduates on 20MAR. It was a real turning point in our membership, not just with our new members, but with our older members as well who have been around for a couple of years or longer. I had three review boards yesterday, and all three cadets said they were really happy to see the squadron becoming active again. When I asked them what they meant by that, they all said (in their own way) that they liked the new recruit training program. Two of them aren't instructing the new cadets, and I asked them why they felt like it made a difference to them that there was a new training class going on, and they both said that it made them feel like we were doing something to improve the squadron, even if it didn't affect them directly.

We're going to holding another Open House in the late summer/fall, possibly one prior to then as well. Our next training class is set to start in September.

One of the big things I will tell any parent is that they definitely need to come to the three meetings to get a feel for the program, because an Open House will always differ from an actual weekly meeting. There is work involved, and we will push their kids to become cadets. It's not boot camp, but we expect discipline, maturity, and a willingness to become leaders. And I stress that I always want to talk to any potential cadet before they make the decision to join because I want them to make the decision, not mom or dad. This is about their experience and their progress, and nobody should push them into something they don't feel they really want to do. If they ever have any questions along the way, they should never feel unwelcome to ask someone for information or assistance, and they are always welcome to address any concerns they may have. It's going to be a confusing first few weeks while they get used to things, but we are there to look out for them and help them to develop their skills and abilities as a professional, competent, confident cadet and member of the community.

I had a mom who was VERY hesitant about having her two sons and their cousin join. She was really concerned that, them being quieter boys (and a little awkward), that they would be out of their element in our environment. I reassured her that this isn't ever going to be a program where anyone gets in their face and screams at them or fake them feel inferior, but I will take them out of their comfort zones so they can get used to thinking on their toes and being put into situations where they'll have to come out of their shells. We don't embarrass anyone, and we don't scream at anyone, but expect to have some volume, expect to be put on the spot, and expect to make a lot of friends in the process because everyone else in the class will go through the exact same thing. It's not about breaking anyone down to build them up; it's about bringing out their potential and the skills that they may not know they possess. And the three are still in the class, getting ready to graduate, and they've done outstanding work in drill, PT, leadership testing, and (while still a bit shy) participating in interactive discussions with the class.

A saying of mine when I see cadets and prospects start to get shy:
"It's okay to be nervous. You think I'm not nervous standing up here talking to a bunch of eyeballs staring at me? It's okay to not know. You think I haven't been making this stuff up as I go along?" Usually gets a smile or two  :)

Майор Хаткевич

One day...I'll stop talking and thinking about it, and actually do it.

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 04:13:32 PM

I have 9 units in my wing.

My unit pretty much kicks 7 of the other 8 unit's butts.

Squadron commanders have come to me over the years and said "We want to do what you do. Help us!"

First thing I say is "come to one of  our events and see how we do it."

To date, nobody has shown up.

The second thing I say is "Schedule and run a community wide open house event.  Here are our materials. Use them as you need to do."

So they hem and haw about it, put something on their calendar, change the date three times and don't even inform their people what is going on, let alone anybody else.  Then, when they actually hold the event and don't get the response they wanted, they complain loudly that "it didn't work."

So then, I start asking questions.

Q: "Did you print flyers for hand outs and give them to your cadets?"

A: "uh, no." (One unit actually said "I made a PDF, put it on our website and then told people they could print them out if they wanted to."  What?)

Q: "Did you advertise in the paper or something? Facebook??"

A: "Not really." (this is code for "no")

Q: "Did you tell your people to bring in someone?"

A: "No, we didn't." (a unit actually held their open house on a "fifth Tuesday" and told the ENTIRE squadron they didn't have to show up.  How.. exciting.)

At the end of the day, its pretty simple. We follow a very basic "recipe" for making this work.

But to follow a recipe, you need to actually follow it.

It would be like someone asking me for my excellent pumpernickel bread recipe and when they go to make it, they completely omit the flour, yeast and water.

And then say to me "I couldn't make your recipe work!" and when I ask why, they admit that all they did was throw a pinch of salt, some caraway seeds and molasses in the breadmaker and now its my fault that their bread didn't come out.   

Well, no kidding.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

We've had this convo on and off a number of times. I believe in the system...just need to get people on board, sit down, and run it.

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 06:45:26 PM
We've had this convo on and off a number of times. I believe in the system...just need to get people on board, sit down, and run it.

Sometimes its far easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on March 07, 2016, 06:50:09 PM

I'm thinking more on getting the staff in on the vision. Hard to run an open house alone, and do the whole "come back in 1-2 months, for our enrollment date" without commander/recruitment/staff buy in.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 06:52:30 PM

I'm thinking more on getting the staff in on the vision. Hard to run an open house alone, and do the whole "come back in 1-2 months, for our enrollment date" without commander/recruitment/staff buy in.

"Listen, what we're doing now isn't working. Let's give this a shot, and re-evaluate in 6 months. If it doesn't work, we can drop it, but in the meantime, let's try it and see what happens."

stillamarine

Quote from: NIN on March 07, 2016, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 04:13:32 PM

I have 9 units in my wing.

My unit pretty much kicks 7 of the other 8 unit's butts.

Squadron commanders have come to me over the years and said "We want to do what you do. Help us!"

First thing I say is "come to one of  our events and see how we do it."

To date, nobody has shown up.

The second thing I say is "Schedule and run a community wide open house event.  Here are our materials. Use them as you need to do."

So they hem and haw about it, put something on their calendar, change the date three times and don't even inform their people what is going on, let alone anybody else.  Then, when they actually hold the event and don't get the response they wanted, they complain loudly that "it didn't work."

So then, I start asking questions.

Q: "Did you print flyers for hand outs and give them to your cadets?"

A: "uh, no." (One unit actually said "I made a PDF, put it on our website and then told people they could print them out if they wanted to."  What?)

Q: "Did you advertise in the paper or something? Facebook??"

A: "Not really." (this is code for "no")

Q: "Did you tell your people to bring in someone?"

A: "No, we didn't." (a unit actually held their open house on a "fifth Tuesday" and told the ENTIRE squadron they didn't have to show up.  How.. exciting.)

At the end of the day, its pretty simple. We follow a very basic "recipe" for making this work.

But to follow a recipe, you need to actually follow it.

It would be like someone asking me for my excellent pumpernickel bread recipe and when they go to make it, they completely omit the flour, yeast and water.

And then say to me "I couldn't make your recipe work!" and when I ask why, they admit that all they did was throw a pinch of salt, some caraway seeds and molasses in the breadmaker and now its my fault that their bread didn't come out.   

Well, no kidding.

I still have your open house template and plan to put it in use soon.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Holding Pattern

"Monday, Tuesday at the latest!"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 07, 2016, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 06:52:30 PM

"Listen, what we're doing now isn't working. Let's give this a shot, and re-evaluate in 6 months. If it doesn't work, we can drop it, but in the meantime, let's try it and see what happens."

That's sentence one. Sentence two is getting their buy in.

Raptormanf35

I have tried to recruit my friends but they ask me why should i join especially when they have to pay for joining and buying uniforms etc, its easy to get cadets to join but what incentive really is there for senior members to join aside from a burning desire to serve your country for free even though there is a paid version called the USAF lol.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Raptormanf35 on March 08, 2016, 03:27:10 AM
I have tried to recruit my friends but they ask me why should i join especially when they have to pay for joining and buying uniforms etc, its easy to get cadets to join but what incentive really is there for senior members to join aside from a burning desire to serve your country for free even though there is a paid version called the USAF lol.

Cater to their interests.

"You have a HAM radio license? That's cool. What kind of ticket do you have?"
"Tech/Gen/Extra"
"That's really neat! CAP lets us encrypted radios for operations on military frequencies!"
Aaaand the hook is set.

"You have an IT certification? That's cool. Do you remember the good old days of technet and the MSDNAA?"
"Yeah."
"Well if you help mentor or coach a cyberpatriot team, you can get the next best thing, a dreamspark premium account and cisco netacad access!"
Aaaand the hook is set.

Also don't underestimate the draw of the full set of cadet programs for senior members. AEX has a lot of possibilities as well, along with... well, I can go on all day. Give me a section you think you can't sell, I'll build you an elevator speech.

Raptormanf35

Well no one I know has a specialty like that so I guess I would like to know what to say to just an average person with no license or special qualification.

Raptormanf35

Also my friends are mostly age between 18 to 30

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Raptormanf35 on March 08, 2016, 06:34:21 AM
Well no one I know has a specialty like that so I guess I would like to know what to say to just an average person with no license or special qualification.

Discovery.

"What do you do for a living?"

"What do you for fun?"

"What do you want to do for a career?"

Find common interests.

Especially for the 18-25 group, point out that CAP experience can fill out an otherwise empty resume with things like:

"Managed a ground search team"
"provided radio support for multiple 5 man teams operating in a communications exercise"
"Completed the following FEMA Independent Study and In-residence courses:"
"Regional Drill Team Competitor"
"Was intercepted by an F-16 and didn't go to jail" - Though this should be a T-shirt

Raptormanf35

Now I'm thinking about updating my resume lol

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Raptormanf35 on March 08, 2016, 06:51:56 AM
Now I'm thinking about updating my resume lol

You will find that once you think about it, CAP has handed you quite a few sets of skills that deserve far more than a simple single line on your resume under "Volunteer work."

Raptormanf35

Yea I just don't know how to   Choose which things to include because there is just so many things like I have 4 fema certificates

Holding Pattern

I'll build a mock up resume in the near future.

NIN

My face when I get a FB message from a Wing Commander:
Quoteseriously, 100 people?

Quotehow many people live in that town where you had 100 people show up to the open house?!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2016, 04:05:16 PM
Retention is a fungible thing that moves around.

If I may be so intrusive as a persona-non-grata former member, I would like to ask you what motivates you to retain members instead of just letting them drop off, or worse, basically telling them to get lost (in some cases, like mine, not as "nicely" worded and being essentially told you are not needed and are excess baggage).

I know that I have belaboured this point ad nauseam and I do apologise for being a PITA on that point.

But ever since my former CC sent me the email of what I have come to call the "10 Things I Hate About You" list over a year ago, I have been racking what brains I have trying to analyse and figure out just how it could come to this...I went from (in earlier squadrons) being deputy CC, having been awarded a CommComm, being awarded CAP Senior Member Of The Year by the local AFA chapter (with complimentary one year membership) and having (literally) a drawer full of "Certificates Of Appreciation" to being "awarded" the status of non-entity in the space of roughly 20 years.

There must be something intrinsically wrong with me for an organisation like CAP, who seem to be desperate for volunteers much of the time, to be told "you are not needed," especially by a squadron that is barely above flight status and not overflowing with "excess" members, on paper or in reality.

When I got my exit survey from National I detailed all this...no response, not that I expected any.

I'm going to take a chance on self-revelation and say that I have talked this over a lot with my pastor, counsellor and various other people in and out of CAP, and the general consensus from them is boiled down to "your commander's an [censored] and you're better off away from someone like that."  However, I am a person who tends to blame myself much of the time.  Frankly, I have shed some tears over this and I don't mind saying that.

Or, to be flippant for a moment, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I shouldn't want to be part of an organisation who would have someone like me as a member."

But, as someone who has spent decades in CAP like yourself, many of them in command positions, where do you draw that line on whether or not someone is "worthy" of CAP or not?

I mean, I learnt long ago that not everyone is going to like me, and in fact a lot of people haven't liked me...in most cases I've been able to come to terms with that.

Maybe it's due to the fact that I just turned 50 that I'm trying to figure this out at this stage in my life, or the fact that at one time I was valued in CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Retention, retention, retention!  I have been a member 3 times so far and am not presently a member.  My best time was as a cadet in the 1970's and CAP was the most important part of my life and the lives of my pals.  During my last year of high school the unit failed due to a lack of involved senior members.  I was 17 years old and have no clue know why the senior members left or did not participate.  I let my membership expire and I remained out of CAP for a couple of years.

When I rejoined, I went to a unit that was 40 miles away from my home.  That in itself was not a big deal but honestly I found the adjustment from a cadet to a senior member difficult and disappointing; I lasted a year.

About 25 years later I again rejoined.  A group of us were successful in getting our old squadron re-chartered and unfortunately I was the squadron commander.  I say "unfortunately" because I simply did not have the CAP skills necessary to lead and manage a squadron much less a brand new one no experienced members.  The squadron survived about 3 years before it died a slow, painful death.
Several things struck me during those 3 years.

First, I was overwhelmed with paperwork and bureaucracy.  This point needs no further explanation!

Next, I was disappointed in the wing and subordinate units level of actual participation in ES.  We talked a big game but when it was "go time" well... on many occasions we provided no meaningful contribution to the effort.  In one instance, much of the work (damage assessment after a large series of storms) that was provided was of such a poor quality that it had to be repeated by a different organization.  I am a career LEO and I realize that I may have unrealistic expectations of ES in volunteer organizations but I was disappointed and embarrassed.

Lastly, I was disappointed in what I saw was the "wimpification" of the cadet program. I am not advocating the "Full Metal Jacket" environment; it is unacceptable in CAP.  I think things have gone too far the other way.  I am not willing to provide a list; one can be made from many of the threads found on this website.  I realize that times have changed and there is also a difference between what I remember and what actually happened.  There is a shift of perspective between a 17 year old person and guy in his late 40's.

Anyway, those are the main reasons that I left CAP.  That being said, I am now considering rejoining but if I do it will be with an established unit and I will focus on conducting orientation flights to cadets. 

Storm Chaser

I think we need to do a better job at managing expectations. Many members become disillusioned with the organization because of false or unrealistic expectations.

Raptormanf35

Yes we do, it seems A lot of members think we are entitled to certain benefits but that's ridiculous, we are pretty much just the Boy Scouts of the Air Force. We should appreciate whatever the Air Force let's us do.

FW

If we were the "Boy Scouts of the Air Force", our leadership would be harvesting millions of dollars in ongoing annual contributions, developing networks of sponsors, hiring successful branding experts,and enabling local leaders the tools to recruit and retain active members, both cadet and adult.   No, we're definitely not that...    ::)

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 09, 2016, 05:45:47 AM
I think we need to do a better job at managing expectations. Many members become disillusioned with the organization because of false or unrealistic expectations.

I swear I've read something about this..

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/recruiting_and_retention/?stop_selling_the_5&show=entry&blogID=1600

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Quote from: NIN on March 09, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 09, 2016, 05:45:47 AM

I swear I've read something about this..

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/recruiting_and_retention/?stop_selling_the_5&show=entry&blogID=1600

Outstanding article!

Holding Pattern

Quote from: 754837 on March 08, 2016, 09:13:31 PM
About 25 years later I again rejoined.  A group of us were successful in getting our old squadron re-chartered and unfortunately I was the squadron commander.  I say "unfortunately" because I simply did not have the CAP skills necessary to lead and manage a squadron much less a brand new one no experienced members.  The squadron survived about 3 years before it died a slow, painful death.
Several things struck me during those 3 years.

I sometimes feel that CAP likes to throw unqualified people into the Commander's chair a bit too quick. I'll be addressing that in a different thread though.

First, I was overwhelmed with paperwork and bureaucracy.  This point needs no further explanation!

If there is one repeated concern I hear, it is this one. It is my personal hope to mitigate a lot of this with E-forms, and having a lot of pre-filled data, and doing this with the provided google apps platform. This isn't as easy as it sounds, and until CAP IT and the rest of the specialty tracks get facebook groups, it will take a while until I manage to reach out to other like-minded IT people.

Next, I was disappointed in the wing and subordinate units level of actual participation in ES.  We talked a big game but when it was "go time" well... on many occasions we provided no meaningful contribution to the effort.  In one instance, much of the work (damage assessment after a large series of storms) that was provided was of such a poor quality that it had to be repeated by a different organization.  I am a career LEO and I realize that I may have unrealistic expectations of ES in volunteer organizations but I was disappointed and embarrassed.

If you ever get a mission tasking where you've never practiced the tasking to know the quality you will get, the correct answer is to not accept the tasking should any other resource be available for that. That being said, this would be a lessons learned opportunity to review what went wrong and make sure that the next time you can fulfill such a tasking (or set the expectation that this may be a mission your squadron can't fulfill)

Lastly, I was disappointed in what I saw was the "wimpification" of the cadet program. I am not advocating the "Full Metal Jacket" environment; it is unacceptable in CAP.  I think things have gone too far the other way.  I am not willing to provide a list; one can be made from many of the threads found on this website.  I realize that times have changed and there is also a difference between what I remember and what actually happened.  There is a shift of perspective between a 17 year old person and guy in his late 40's.

Well, I was a cadet 10-15 years after you I'm guessing, and now I'm a SM in my early 30's. I'm going to need you to provide that list, preferably in a separate thread (or PM, if you think it isn't appropriate for public consumption.)

I'm not seeing the "wimpification" of CAP, unless you are talking about AUX ON/OFF silliness or the transition from solid plastic membership cards to beyond wafer thin paper laminate membership cards. (Dear NHQ, I will pay extra for a separate DD2350 card. Make it Chipped and then we can have compliant web services too!)

Anyway, those are the main reasons that I left CAP.  That being said, I am now considering rejoining but if I do it will be with an established unit and I will focus on conducting orientation flights to cadets.

When you rejoin, I would suggest keeping a careful eye on the possibility of burnout. Setting expectations with the commander in advance is a good plan to help with this.

stillamarine

I'll address the "wimpification" of cadets a wee bit. I was a cadet in the late 80s early 90s. There is definitely a difference in the cadet program then and now. We got yelled at a bit more back then, we were made to do PT when we messed up. There was no confusion about the relationship between cadets and seniors. I don't know if I'd go completely and say wimpification but it's definitely different now.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

The CyBorg is destroyed

I think CAP needs to drop all the Bravo Sierra about how it values its "volunteer professionals," when clearly they do not, and I am not just talking about myself and my own discommendation.

There are many others, some I have known personally, who have got "fed up" with the favouritism, the cliques, the legendary GOB/GN, and left.

One I personally knew was a rated mission pilot (and a darn good one; I flew with him and always enjoyed it), came to virtually every meeting (of course, this squadron only met twice a month) and had a son in the CP who (I believe) went on to a career in the Navy.  He was also an aeronautical engineer for Honeywell and a graduate of Embry-Riddle, meaning that the guy was a brainiac par excellence.

He was also a really, really nice guy who would literally give you the shirt off his back.  I got to know him, his wife and his family well during the time we served together.

He wasn't into the rank side of the thing so much; I don't believe he made it past 1st Lieutenant.

However, he wasn't impressed at all by the having to "schmooze" to get anywhere, did not enjoy wing staff meetings or conferences...basically, just wanted to do his job.

He confided in me that when his son graduated from high school and went off to university there was probably a 90% chance he was going to leave CAP because he was sick of the "personality issues" above the squadron level and I believe he did just that, from what I heard after I moved away from the unit (this was my first squadron, which was the most wonderful out of all my CAP units).

CAP losing someone like him was definitely a bigger loss than it was losing me.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

IMHO, CAP NHQ has an understanding that the lower levels (Wing and below) are not doing the best possible job at respecting and valuing its "volunteer professionals".  (Does not apply to every unit. Some suffer from this issue, others do a good job)

If you look at the new 2016-2020 strategic plan it contains several bullet points to " – recognize the value and talent of each CAP
member; increase the fun and enhance fulfillment of the CAP experience to make members want to stay and others to want to join."

IMHO again, Wing and below GOBN are alive and well (in places), and highly visible to those that do not close their eyes.

I have seen time and time again how these pre-conceived GOBN ideas of how "CAP has worked and will always work" does more detriment to the organization than all the red tape and paperwork combined.

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Chappie

Climbing on the soapbox:

Retention is a key to any organization.  When someone leaves there are relationships broken...to some degree corporate knowledge is lost if it had not been shared or documented...and life goes on -- sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst.

I think that anyone of us who have served in CAP for any length of time have experienced those moments when we look at the renewal notification and wonder "Is it worth it?" and I am not talking about the renewal fee.  There have been a couple of times when I have seriously debated whether or not to renew  or take the option to wait until I reach the 20 year mark and call it done.  Dealing with some individuals in the organization and a couple of corporate decisions had taken all the joy out of serving in CAP.  But as a wise friend told me once, "CAP is not a static display...rather it is a dynamic institution -- and things will change."  Toughing it out was hard, but there were changes that have occurred that renewed my faith and made CAP enjoyable again.   I learned that if I stayed in my lane and focused on the mission/task that I was assigned to do, things would work out.

Cyborg is "spot on" ... there are some people in CAP who are "censored".   My take is them that they are self-serving and do not have an agenda for the unit they serve --- rather for what prestige they receive from holding a title.  They stifle the personal and the professional growth of those they are serving/leading.   Rather than being a leader, they are a bully.  No amount of training can change their temperament or personality.  During my time of dealing with an individual who had their own agenda and self-interest, I just stayed below the radar.  Since CAP is a volunteer organization...I volunteered to do what I wanted to participate in, waited to speak when it was requested (which didn't happen...their loss :) ) and patiently waited until things changed. 

Squadrons are the "lifeblood" of this organization...and it is imperative that commanders are selected on the basis of their leadership skills/experience and not for who they know....or just to fill a slot.  John Maxwell has a principle that "everything rises and falls with leadership".  That is so true.   In all volunteer organizations, people will vote "with their feet".  Valuing their contributions/participation is an integral part of the retention process.   Recruiting gets them in the door -- but how we treat them will keep them from the exit door.

Now I could use some help to climb down off this soap box.

USACAP

isuhawkeye

Many organizations find that cohort recruiting and indoctrination helps with retention. When you have a peer group you work together through training as a group.  that group bonds and you advance together.  you also challenge each others development.  This early relationship building makes the organization stronger. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Chappie on March 10, 2016, 12:21:49 AM
Climbing on the soapbox:

Chaplain, your "soapbox" nearly brought tears to my eyes - literally.  I have only been in one squadron (first and best) that had a chaplain, and when we lost him (he was a Presbyterian minister who got a call to another congregation out West) it was deeply felt.  He was also more than a "skypilot" - qualified Observer, rated in Comms and GT.  He mediated several conflicts that probably saved (no pun intended) members from leaving.

That experience, along with my experiences with AF chaplains in the ANG, has often made me wonder that if there were a chaplain available in my last squadron, if somehow the situation could have been salvaged.

I think that anyone of us who have served in CAP for any length of time have experienced those moments when we look at the renewal notification and wonder "Is it worth it?" and I am not talking about the renewal fee.

I had that a few times in the past but still renewed.  This last time, being told by my CC that I was basically "excess baggage" to the squadron and that I "didn't contribute anything" was like being punched in the gut, especially given that it was done via e-mail.  Somehow I doubt that said CC would have said it to me in person; in fact, I asked to meet with him in person and he refused.

Cyborg is "spot on" ... there are some people in CAP who are "censored".   My take is them that they are self-serving and do not have an agenda for the unit they serve --- rather for what prestige they receive from holding a title.  They stifle the personal and the professional growth of those they are serving/leading.   Rather than being a leader, they are a bully.  No amount of training can change their temperament or personality. 

I don't want to poo on people who are in this industry; after all, the person I mentioned who was a good friend of mine was an aeronautical engineer.  However, the CC I had was an engineering type and with him virtually everything was "you is or you ain't," "1 or 0," "yes or no," "good or bad," etc., and "just agree with me and we'll be done with it."  I am the last person to claim "people skills," especially as a former computer programmer/general IT puke (though I've also had a fair bit of training in psychology/sociology), but when you try to treat people with lives and feelings as if everything is black and white, my feeling is you're inevitably going to alienate people.

I've dealt with bullies virtually all my life.  Being small as a kid, I had to learn to fight back at an early age.  I didn't always win (and have a thrice-broken nose to show for it) but I found out that with most bullies, if you call them on their bull[mess] face-to-face, especially if they're not expecting it they'll back off.  However, the Internet has made it too easy for bullies to make boasts and not back it up, and in my case the CC had all the rules and regs of CAP on his side.  Who was going to listen to a "nobody" Captain who was just a paper-pusher in a squadron v. a Major who is a mission pilot with lots of friends at Group and Wing?

Squadrons are the "lifeblood" of this organization...and it is imperative that commanders are selected on the basis of their leadership skills/experience and not for who they know....or just to fill a slot.  John Maxwell has a principle that "everything rises and falls with leadership".  That is so true.   In all volunteer organizations, people will vote "with their feet".  Valuing their contributions/participation is an integral part of the retention process.   Recruiting gets them in the door -- but how we treat them will keep them from the exit door.

Again, it really hurts to know you're not valued, at your squadron or by those above you and they could care less whether or not you went for the exit door (I went that route too).

Now I could use some help to climb down off this soap box.

As far as I'm concerned you can climb on it any time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Raptormanf35

NIN

I neglected to take a photo of the 21 prospective cadets standing in our Basic Training Flight tonight....

But #WINNING! anyway.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SkywalkerRA

I'd be interested in hearing what senior squadrons have done that have been particularly successful at recruiting. I'm in a senior squadron and right now most of our new prospects come one by one through referrals, invitations from current squadron members, and someone who has thought about CAP and found us online. What are some of your best practices for senior squadrons? Thanks!!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SkywalkerRA on March 12, 2016, 01:35:11 AM
I'd be interested in hearing what senior squadrons have done that have been particularly successful at recruiting. I'm in a senior squadron and right now most of our new prospects come one by one through referrals, invitations from current squadron members, and someone who has thought about CAP and found us online. What are some of your best practices for senior squadrons? Thanks!!

I served in one senior squadron.

95% of the members were pilots...not saying all senior squadrons are like this, but if you weren't a pilot (I wasn't, though I was an observer) they really weren't interested in taking you on.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Raptormanf35

My unit is like that in also the youngest there so it's always awkward but there nice.

TheSkyHornet

Personally, I'm totally fine with cutting the people that see CAP has a hobby--an opportunity to sit around the table and just B.S.

Go form a group, go outside, and start training. It's not happy hour at the bar. It sets a really bad tone when there's a gaggle of people of stand around drinking coffee the duration of a meeting and never do anything.

NIN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 15, 2016, 02:49:50 PM
Personally, I'm totally fine with cutting the people that see CAP has a hobby--an opportunity to sit around the table and just B.S.

Go form a group, go outside, and start training. It's not happy hour at the bar. It sets a really bad tone when there's a gaggle of people of stand around drinking coffee the duration of a meeting and never do anything.

Thats usually a factor of the tone that the unit sets.

If the commander is setting the rate and direction of march right to Dunkin' Donuts, well, there ya go.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

FW

As one who holds a "Coffee Distribution Officer" Master Rating, I see nothing wrong with the above...as long as they are B.Sing about best practices, mission prosecution, flying safety, etc.
Seriously, the social hour should be before or after the meeting. Plenty of time for that stuff then.  >:D

Chappie

<SNIP> It sets a really bad tone when there's a gaggle of people of stand around drinking coffee the duration of a meeting and never do anything. <SNIP>

You mean "CC" doesn't stand for "Coffee Consumer"?    ???  ::)

Raptormanf35

I'm going for the aerospace master rating. I can't wait to get that little gold star lol

NIN

Quote from: NIN on March 11, 2016, 02:39:53 AM
I neglected to take a photo of the 21 prospective cadets standing in our Basic Training Flight tonight....

But #WINNING! anyway.

Btw, that 21 is now 23.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Hummingbird

I was recruited through targeted recruitment by an LT about a year ago. On the way to school he mentioned CAP and explained it, and two months later i had officially joined (I unofficially showed up at meetings for about a month). Targeted recruitment however isn't working very well (except for one person who left a Marines youth group), but talking to their parents seems to hold more potential. Another option could possibly be creating pamphlets/fliers, perhaps an official one if possible. Until then, if anyone has any skills for creating good unoffical ones, please do and leave a link somewhere for others to print out. Maybe on Google Drive so that it can be downloaded and modified to fit specific squadrons.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

NIN

Quote from: Hummingbird on March 30, 2016, 03:35:31 PM
I was recruited through targeted recruitment by an LT about a year ago. On the way to school he mentioned CAP and explained it, and two months later i had officially joined (I unofficially showed up at meetings for about a month). Targeted recruitment however isn't working very well (except for one person who left a Marines youth group), but talking to their parents seems to hold more potential. Another option could possibly be creating pamphlets/fliers, perhaps an official one if possible. Until then, if anyone has any skills for creating good unoffical ones, please do and leave a link somewhere for others to print out. Maybe on Google Drive so that it can be downloaded and modified to fit specific squadrons.

You mean, like this: http://bit.ly/RecruitingMaterials

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Robert Hartigan

Recruiting is easy compared to retention. Help me understand why it is so difficult to turn a ready, willing, able and qualified commercial pilot into a CAP mission pilot? Based on my experience, there is a SQTR but no formal training program to take a member from new to mission contributor in any reasonable time. I know pilots that have added ratings to their FAA ticket while still waiting on Scanner qualification flights going on a year, now.

Almost to the point of "No need to recruit if they are just going to be ignored once in the door." >:(
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Hummingbird

Quote from: NIN on March 30, 2016, 03:53:25 PM
Quote from: Hummingbird on March 30, 2016, 03:35:31 PM

Yes, thank you. I had no idea this existed, and it will help an outstandingly large amount.
You mean, like this: http://bit.ly/RecruitingMaterials
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
NER-NY-390

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on March 30, 2016, 05:45:29 PM
Recruiting is easy compared to retention. Help me understand why it is so difficult to turn a ready, willing, able and qualified commercial pilot into a CAP mission pilot? Based on my experience, there is a SQTR but no formal training program to take a member from new to mission contributor in any reasonable time. I know pilots that have added ratings to their FAA ticket while still waiting on Scanner qualification flights going on a year, now.

Almost to the point of "No need to recruit if they are just going to be ignored once in the door." >:(

Any unit should be able to organize a SAREX for the purpose of qualifying their people. Have you worked through the chain with your Wing ESO to determine what the process is in your wing?

Hummingbird

I'm still in high school and a lot of the other students I've talked to say that it sounds great, and don't show up at any of the meetings. I think you think that I'm talking about current pilots, however I could be wrong.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
NER-NY-390

SarDragon

Quote from: Hummingbird on March 30, 2016, 05:56:41 PM
I'm still in high school and a lot of the other students I've talked to say that it sounds great, and don't show up at any of the meetings. I think you think that I'm talking about current pilots, however I could be wrong.

Mr. Hartigan is just pointing out different aspects of the big picture. He is addressing what many feel to be the greater problem, retention.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

+1 As we see here on a regular basis, experienced members have issues of "access and understanding", for new members it's 10-fold.

The "culture of 'no®" is still alive and well in CAP, Commanders are supposed to possess the experience, knowledge, and intestinal fortitude to
look "no" in the eye and wait for the proper response.  It's not fair to bring someone in with expectations of service, then toss them a PDF and say "work it out yourself",
that's literally a CC, PDO, and PO's job.

"But I don't have time for that...?

A - Shepherding the flock is a CC's primary job

B - more people = more time

"culture of 'no'" are registered trademarks of eClipseco Mining and Heavy Machinery Consortium.  All Rights Reserved.  Let eClipseco service all of your rhetoric and propaganda needs!

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 30, 2016, 05:54:51 PM

Any unit should be able to organize a SAREX for the purpose of qualifying their people. Have you worked through the chain with your Wing ESO to determine what the process is in your wing?

Used to be in ARWG we could just contact the Wing ESO to get a mission number for an FTX or weekend training local SAREX, didn't have to be an AFAM or funded, just needed the mission number for sign offs. This was a good 20 years or so ago, though.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 30, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 30, 2016, 05:54:51 PM

Used to be in ARWG we could just contact the Wing ESO to get a mission number for an FTX or weekend training local SAREX, didn't have to be an AFAM or funded, just needed the mission number for sign offs. This was a good 20 years or so ago, though.

Yeah, it's supposed to be that simple. Nowadays it's almost that simple in my wing, we do have to send up an ICS 201 and ideally we would have already planned it in the training plan for the year (so it's already budgeted), but it's generally pretty straightforward. I would hope it's the same in other wings and that you don't have to be a member of the secret cabal to get a number.

Eclipse

Most wings have quick-spin proficiency sorties with a simple approval process.

I can get a funded A-sortie in an hour if I have a decent idea and a willing crew(s).

"That Others May Zoom"

Hummingbird

Quote from: SarDragon on March 30, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
Quote from: Hummingbird on March 30, 2016, 05:56:41 PM

Mr. Hartigan is just pointing out different aspects of the big picture. He is addressing what many feel to be the greater problem, retention.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused on that.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
NER-NY-390

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2016, 07:43:20 PM
Most wings have quick-spin proficiency sorties with a simple approval process.

I can get a funded A-sortie in an hour if I have a decent idea and a willing crew(s).

That too, but I'm operating under the assumption that we're more progressive on this point than many wings.

Robert Hartigan

I was told the Wing holds an aircrew school once a year. I asked what do I tell the guy that joined the day after the aircrew school finished? The answer: Wait until next year's aircrew school!
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

RogueLeader

Other options are to go to NESA or other wings for aircrew training- if feasible.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

stillamarine

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on March 30, 2016, 09:37:34 PM
I was told the Wing holds an aircrew school once a year. I asked what do I tell the guy that joined the day after the aircrew school finished? The answer: Wait until next year's aircrew school!

I'm confused. Why does the training have to be conducted at the wing level? I just transferred into a squadron that was under the belief that to get GT qual'd they HAVE to go to the Wing ES school.  Set up your own training. Get some qualified SETs. Invite other units.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

+1 A formal school might get things done more expediently, but all you actually need is the
materials, the initiative and eventually an SET.

"That Others May Zoom"