NSC 2016 is now open, 3-10 April

Started by RogueLeader, January 19, 2016, 04:14:42 PM

MSG Mac

How to command a Squadron is a good start, There are also a lot of historical tracts, lots on leadership.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Pick up Lorenz on Leadership and General Goldfein's book on commanding a squadron. Strike that. Fill up a box and enjoy it all. You can also get them on the AU website in pdf. Much lighter...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on March 05, 2016, 12:45:12 AM
Pick up Lorenz on Leadership and General Goldfein's book on commanding a squadron. Strike that. Fill up a box and enjoy it all. You can also get them on the AU website in pdf. Much lighter...

Not as easy to highlight and write in margins though. And with some of those PDFs you really want to be able to highlight and make margin notes...

That being said, you can send it to a kindle and then make digital notes. But it isn't the same. :(

THRAWN

I duuno about that....I spent the last couple of years taking notes and highlighting pdf files. Took some getting used to but its just as effective as a big stack of books from Maxwell or Newport...and I can carry the whole liberry with one hand...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Chappie

HEIRPOWER: 8 Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants

Conflict, Culture, & History - Regional Dimensions

They Served Here - Thirty-three Maxwell Men

American Airpower Comes of Age - Hap Arnold's WW II Diaries
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 04, 2016, 11:43:17 PM
How to command a Squadron is a good start, There are also a lot of historical tracts, lots on leadership.

I am now 70% through this book. Great read and lots of ideas!

dogden

Is everyone who has applied listed as an alternate? I have never used the online NCSA registration but I am guessing that everyone will be slotted on or around 15 March.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 03:51:06 PM
Is everyone who has applied listed as an alternate? I have never used the online NCSA registration but I am guessing that everyone will be slotted on or around 15 March.

IIRC, cadets get the same status until actual selections.

badger bob

NSC appointments were slotted a couple weeks ago.

Any alternates will be slotted in a couple weeks.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

RogueLeader

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 03:51:06 PM
They have already done the slotting for NSC.  The list came out on the 19th of February.  When the notice that National is picking up the tab for Housing, I'm willing to bet the applications skyrocketed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

It's unfortunate that the event isn't held in winter months. granted I'd need RSC as well, but outside of the winter months, it's just not possible for me to take off a week from work.

Chappie

Having been a student once and on staff 4 times, the dates have been as early as late May through mid-October (the school in July was uncomfortable due to heat and humidity).  The college is conducted in the SOS building (has been for as long as I recall) and they schedule NSC between their schools.   The same holds true for billeting....based on availability when AU schools are not in session. 

dogden

I received my Selection email today, Maxwell here I come!! I look forward to meeting everyone there.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

RogueLeader

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 07:54:38 PM
I received my Selection email today, Maxwell here I come!! I look forward to meeting everyone there.

I look forward to meeting you, Sir.  Who knows, there will probably several CapTalkers in each Seminar.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

It's getting closer.  I have to that I'm getting excited, and that I'm looking forward to meeting people there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Paul Creed III

I will be there as a seminar advisor.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Chappie

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 25, 2016, 12:47:17 PM

Envious...unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to attend this year.  I was there last year on staff (as PAO) and liked the shortened schedule.  The trip to Moten Field to see the site/museum of the Tuskegee Airmen was indeed a highlight of the week.  Have a great time.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Chappie on March 25, 2016, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 25, 2016, 12:47:17 PM

Envious...unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to attend this year.  I was there last year on staff (as PAO) and liked the shortened schedule.  The trip to Moten Field to see the site/museum of the Tuskegee Airmen was indeed a highlight of the week.  Have a great time.

Thank you. When I was there as a student, the trip to Moten Field was a highlight for me as well.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

rmutchler

Have a great time.  Hope to be there next year.

RogueLeader

I just wanted to say that I had the best group there; #Check6 and that I learned a lot of very interesting things, and I added about 35lbs of books to my collection.  It'll be a while before they all get read.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340