NSC 2016 is now open, 3-10 April

Started by RogueLeader, January 19, 2016, 04:14:42 PM

RogueLeader

I received an email this morning stating that National Staff College applications are now open..
I have my application in and am ready to finish off my Gill Robb Wilson.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MAJORZ04

Sir;
Am planning on registering also.. Was application as hard to complete as it seems ???

THRAWN

Good luck to those selected!

Don't forget that there are alternatives to spending the week at Maxwell. Not everyone can afford the time away from their jobs, so if you feel painted into a corner, take a look at the options listed in CAPR 50-17. An overview can be found here: https://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1437/kw/senior%20pd
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RogueLeader

Quote from: MAJORZ04 on January 19, 2016, 06:42:35 PM
Sir;
Am planning on registering also.. Was application as hard to complete as it seems ???

Nope, easy as falling off a log.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

dwb

I would recommend against enrolling in ACSC as a way around NSC. ACSC will take you many, many more hours to complete than NSC will. Yes, you can complete ACSC in the comfort of your own home, but you'll be sinking a lot of personal time in to it.

ACSC also includes "applied" courses that are synchronous -- you'll be writing forum posts and essays with a cohort of other military/civilian personnel. You need to set aside the requisite amount of time to participate in the applied courses before you sign up for one.

I completed a fair amount of ACSC before withdrawing. I was falling victim to sunk cost fallacy. "I've already dedicated this much time, what's a little more?" Eventually I figured that I still had more than one NSC worth of time to go before I was done, so I bailed on it. It's a lot of work for not a lot of reward. When I am able to attend NSC, I expect that time spent with other CAP senior leaders will be time better spent than going through endless readings, quizzes, essays, and forum posts in ACSC.

YMMV, of course.

THRAWN

Quote from: dwb on January 19, 2016, 07:05:00 PM
I would recommend against enrolling in ACSC as a way around NSC. ACSC will take you many, many more hours to complete than NSC will. Yes, you can complete ACSC in the comfort of your own home, but you'll be sinking a lot of personal time in to it.

ACSC also includes "applied" courses that are synchronous -- you'll be writing forum posts and essays with a cohort of other military/civilian personnel. You need to set aside the requisite amount of time to participate in the applied courses before you sign up for one.

I completed a fair amount of ACSC before withdrawing. I was falling victim to sunk cost fallacy. "I've already dedicated this much time, what's a little more?" Eventually I figured that I still had more than one NSC worth of time to go before I was done, so I bailed on it. It's a lot of work for not a lot of reward. When I am able to attend NSC, I expect that time spent with other CAP senior leaders will be time better spent than going through endless readings, quizzes, essays, and forum posts in ACSC.

YMMV, of course.

And it does. Good examination of the pro/con for each though!
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

I've attended NSC in the 80s, 90s, and last year. Enjoyed it each time. The last one was most professional.

Go, Enjoy.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

arajca

Giving it strong consideration. Just need to make sure the First Bank of Me can afford it.

LSThiker

Quote from: dwb on January 19, 2016, 07:05:00 PM

A lot of personal time, but no money unlike NSC.  For me, I preferred the ACSC format.  The paper writing and interaction with other students was not a negative for me.  Nevertheless, I would recommend that for any member that took ACSC, they should also enroll in NSC when they are financially and able to.  Both courses offer something to be gained in my opinion.   

dwb

The key with ACSC is knowing how much work is involved before you register. It's 10 modules; six self-paced and four applied courses. Each self-paced module is 6-8 individual lessons with lots of reading, quizzes, and maybe interactive Flash-based simulations as part of it. The applied courses involve forum posts (writing your own and responding to students), and usually an essay. Applied courses are 1-3 weeks in length.

All told, it's a lot of work. Even trying to go at a good clip it took me a year before I realized I was tired of grinding and didn't want to finish.

I found the leadership and national security lessons in ACSC to be interesting and at least a teeny bit relevant. All the rest of the stuff (joint warfare and such) is not at all relevant to CAP or my day-to-day life.

I haven't been to NSC, but I know it's more relevant to one's CAP advancement than ACSC is. But it is a week of your time and potentially expensive travel costs depending on where you're coming from.

Regardless of which path you choose, both ACSC and NSC represent a great deal of work and personal sacrifice and both will make the Wilson award a well-earned capstone to your CAP PD.

Chappie

Just a little bias coming from one who was a student in 2001 and  a staff member in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2015 (break is only because of other time commitments - I won't be able to go back again for a couple of years, but it is on my list to do as often as time/money permits) -- NSC is very worthwhile.  The location...well...Montgomery, AL isn't all that great, but Maxwell AFB is (historic place - home of the first flying school established by the Wright Brother/Air University -- can get free books from the Air University Press/National HQ).  The sessions/speakers are first rate...the seminar groups allow one to interact and network with peers - great relationships are formed that will last a lot longer than just a couple of days at an event.  The past couple of years there is a field trip to Tuskegee/Moton Field - Home of the Tuskegee Airmen.   That was worth the trip in and of itself.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

badger bob

:) I made the plunge with my air plane tickets and course fees* NSC-Class of 2016* 

Hopefully I will catch up with a couple folks at Maxwell
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

RogueLeader

Quote from: badger bob on March 04, 2016, 01:28:41 AM
:) I made the plunge with my air plane tickets and course fees* NSC-Class of 2016* 

I look forward to meeting you there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JeffDG

Another announcement from the Command Council...there will be no fee for lodging at NSC this year.

MSG Mac

Quote from: JeffDG on March 04, 2016, 02:42:35 AM

Another announcement from the Command Council...there will be no fee for lodging at NSC this year.
[/quote

That saves about $400
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AlphaSigOU

The student quarters at Max-hell - ahem - Maxwell, the University Inn are really nice, and within walking distance of the Squadron Officer College, where most of the courses are held. If you're looking for military clothing and a convenience-type store, the OTS Troop Store is also within walking distance. (Likewise, they have in-house alterations, and quick service if you wanna spend the buckage on mess dress or service dress.)

Chow - Chow hall (the Riverfront Inn) is not far, but remember they only take cash, no plastic. Country club snack bar (the Two Putts Bar and Grill) is a fair hike (unless you get a group riding a van) and so is the O-Club and NCO Club (not far from the CAP NHQ).

As far as the usual AAFES food court selections, you have a Booger Kink (separate) and a food court in the Exchange Mall (Popeye's, Subway and a couple of others.)

Here's more info:
http://www.42fss.us/index.html - Maxwell AFB 42nd Force Support Squadron
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/exchange-stores/United%20States/AL/Maxwell%20AFB%20/Maxwell-AFB--1031605 - AAFES Maxwell AFB

(NSC grad - 2011)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Chappie

Chuck...good synopsis of the basic needs for potential students.   Came across this document as well that will give an idea as to what one can find at Maxwell:

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-150609-016.pdf

I have only been there only 7 times in the past 20 years --- and on each visit I learn something new (and refreshing) about the base.

MSG Mac

Don't forget the AWC bookstore. You can pick up 10 FREE books every time you visit it-and you can visit every day, several times a day. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Chappie

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 04, 2016, 10:43:38 PM
Don't forget the AWC bookstore. You can pick up 10 FREE books every time you visit it-and you can visit every day, several times a day.

The AWC bookstore (Air University Press) is located on the corner where the B-52 is located and across the street from the B-25.  The helicopter is in front of the building.  They do not ship --- so keep that in mind when you pack.  Leave room for books/weight or plan to ship the books.  There is a UPS store on base as well as post office.

RogueLeader

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 04, 2016, 10:43:38 PM

Quote from: Chappie on March 04, 2016, 11:16:04 PM

The AWC bookstore (Air University Press) is located on the corner where the B-52 is located and across the street from the B-25.  The helicopter is in front of the building.  They do not ship --- so keep that in mind when you pack.  Leave room for books/weight or plan to ship the books.  There is a UPS store on base as well as post office.

Do you have any recommendations for "must haves"?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

How to command a Squadron is a good start, There are also a lot of historical tracts, lots on leadership.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Pick up Lorenz on Leadership and General Goldfein's book on commanding a squadron. Strike that. Fill up a box and enjoy it all. You can also get them on the AU website in pdf. Much lighter...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on March 05, 2016, 12:45:12 AM
Pick up Lorenz on Leadership and General Goldfein's book on commanding a squadron. Strike that. Fill up a box and enjoy it all. You can also get them on the AU website in pdf. Much lighter...

Not as easy to highlight and write in margins though. And with some of those PDFs you really want to be able to highlight and make margin notes...

That being said, you can send it to a kindle and then make digital notes. But it isn't the same. :(

THRAWN

I duuno about that....I spent the last couple of years taking notes and highlighting pdf files. Took some getting used to but its just as effective as a big stack of books from Maxwell or Newport...and I can carry the whole liberry with one hand...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Chappie

HEIRPOWER: 8 Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants

Conflict, Culture, & History - Regional Dimensions

They Served Here - Thirty-three Maxwell Men

American Airpower Comes of Age - Hap Arnold's WW II Diaries

Holding Pattern

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 04, 2016, 11:43:17 PM
How to command a Squadron is a good start, There are also a lot of historical tracts, lots on leadership.

I am now 70% through this book. Great read and lots of ideas!

dogden

Is everyone who has applied listed as an alternate? I have never used the online NCSA registration but I am guessing that everyone will be slotted on or around 15 March.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 03:51:06 PM
Is everyone who has applied listed as an alternate? I have never used the online NCSA registration but I am guessing that everyone will be slotted on or around 15 March.

IIRC, cadets get the same status until actual selections.

badger bob

NSC appointments were slotted a couple weeks ago.

Any alternates will be slotted in a couple weeks.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

RogueLeader

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 03:51:06 PM
They have already done the slotting for NSC.  The list came out on the 19th of February.  When the notice that National is picking up the tab for Housing, I'm willing to bet the applications skyrocketed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

It's unfortunate that the event isn't held in winter months. granted I'd need RSC as well, but outside of the winter months, it's just not possible for me to take off a week from work.

Chappie

Having been a student once and on staff 4 times, the dates have been as early as late May through mid-October (the school in July was uncomfortable due to heat and humidity).  The college is conducted in the SOS building (has been for as long as I recall) and they schedule NSC between their schools.   The same holds true for billeting....based on availability when AU schools are not in session. 

dogden

I received my Selection email today, Maxwell here I come!! I look forward to meeting everyone there.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

RogueLeader

Quote from: dogden on March 07, 2016, 07:54:38 PM
I received my Selection email today, Maxwell here I come!! I look forward to meeting everyone there.

I look forward to meeting you, Sir.  Who knows, there will probably several CapTalkers in each Seminar.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

It's getting closer.  I have to that I'm getting excited, and that I'm looking forward to meeting people there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Paul Creed III

I will be there as a seminar advisor.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Chappie

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 25, 2016, 12:47:17 PM

Envious...unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to attend this year.  I was there last year on staff (as PAO) and liked the shortened schedule.  The trip to Moten Field to see the site/museum of the Tuskegee Airmen was indeed a highlight of the week.  Have a great time.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Chappie on March 25, 2016, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 25, 2016, 12:47:17 PM

Envious...unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to attend this year.  I was there last year on staff (as PAO) and liked the shortened schedule.  The trip to Moten Field to see the site/museum of the Tuskegee Airmen was indeed a highlight of the week.  Have a great time.

Thank you. When I was there as a student, the trip to Moten Field was a highlight for me as well.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

rmutchler

Have a great time.  Hope to be there next year.

RogueLeader

I just wanted to say that I had the best group there; #Check6 and that I learned a lot of very interesting things, and I added about 35lbs of books to my collection.  It'll be a while before they all get read.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Bayareaflyer 44

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 13, 2016, 01:04:22 AM
I just wanted to say that I had the best group there; #Check6 and that I learned a lot of very interesting things, and I added about 35lbs of books to my collection.  It'll be a while before they all get read.

Delta Sierra - we absolutely had the best seminar there!  True pleasure working with you, and everyone else on the team.  What an incredible experience!

Check six!!

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

MAJORZ04

To all the members of Seminar #6.... CHECK SIX....
You are all SUPER AIRMAN and a credit to CAP and its mission..  It was ... and is...AWESOME to have been accepted into CHECK SIX !!
I will never forget all our interactions and sense of belonging we all shared !!
Lt Col Z