Main Menu

Air Police

Started by Nikos, November 28, 2015, 11:40:27 PM

raivo

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 02, 2015, 04:01:26 AMNope.  Very few of those guys have a easy time with adapting to reg duties when they come out of the fields.

"I don't have to share all my medical issues with my commander? THERE'S NO RULES!"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Garibaldi

Quote from: raivo on December 02, 2015, 04:16:14 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 02, 2015, 04:01:26 AMNope.  Very few of those guys have a easy time with adapting to reg duties when they come out of the fields.

"I don't have to share all my medical issues with my commander? THERE'S NO RULES!"

orly? check CAPF-161. All that stuff IS REQUIRED!!!!!  >:D >:D >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Flying Pig

Quote from: raivo on December 02, 2015, 03:58:05 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on December 01, 2015, 01:52:10 PMIn particular with the USAF, nuclear security would be a great way to train up and get the credibility for someone wanting to later get into LE or high end security fields.

Ehhh. WSA/missile cop is not nearly as glamorous/marketable as you might think.

In the Marines, its an Infantry based MOS.  You go to security forces after infantry school.  So you get to maintain all of your infantry skills as well as your security stuff.  I was a machine gunner by trade.  When my 2 years in Security Forces was up, I went to an infantry unit as a machine gunner. 

blackrain

Worked with a great bunch in Iraq in 2008...crazy..crazy times with a lot of things going boom......Some were very smart (their CO was an AFA Grad) and executed a very tough job day in and day out. Investigators attached to them most certainly knew their job and I learned a lot from them) However some of the younger ones had a tendency to get into trouble... >:D..shocked face..shacking up with local nationals...drinking in violation of GO1...among other infractions and yes sadly some in one group pilfered from the little PX there.................keeping them out of trouble was a full time job for the whole leadership, myself included.....
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 01, 2015, 04:02:50 PM
As a grunt, I always made fun of cooks... .I had a buddy who was a cook and we got into it one night (all in good fun) while on deployment.  A while later, we come back from a week in the field and make it in just in time for the chow hall.  Every once in a while they would serve breakfast all day.  French toast and omelets to order.  I think it was training for the new cooks.... I dunno....  So that night Im making my way through the omelet line.  He steps in and relieves the PFC who was on the griddle as I walk up and says in a smart a-- voice  "Well Well Well..... look whose come to apologize.  I knew you'd come crawling in eventually"   >:D  Dude made me a great omelet....after I said I was sorry.  He caught me crossing my fingers too.

Don't be dissing any cooks... you know their unofficial motto: DEATH FROM WITHIN!!! (Ex-Air Farce cook... cook's hat, whites and apron long since retired!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

kirbahashi

There is no problem with giving each other crap as service men and woman.  In fact I highly encourage it.  I would even go as far as saying Aerial Porters have the worst job because their jobs literally suck dookie.

But the job Defenders do every day is serious and deadly. These were USAF Cops and AFOSI Agents.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/21/mass-casualty-in-afghanistan-six-u-s-troops-dead-others-wounded/
The Next of Kin notifications have been made, but I won't say names.  DOD should release those today.

We all have jobs to do, some more glorious than others.
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Flying Pig

Ive always enjoyed good natured inter service rivalry.  Its pretty easy when you are a former Marine.   >:D     Whats even better is when two vets are taking jabs and someone chimes in who never served... "chirp chirp....chirp chirp"

Paul_AK

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 02, 2015, 04:01:26 AM
Quote from: raivo on December 02, 2015, 03:58:05 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on December 01, 2015, 01:52:10 PMIn particular with the USAF, nuclear security would be a great way to train up and get the credibility for someone wanting to later get into LE or high end security fields.

Ehhh. WSA/missile cop is not nearly as glamorous/marketable as you might think.

Nope.  Very few of those guys have a easy time with adapting to reg duties when they come out of the fields.
Blame AFPC for keeping us there too long, I've always been a proponent of turning it into a controlled tour. My first CMSgt was on his fourth assignment to Malmstrom and the Ops Superintendent when I left was a SMSgt who had been there 14 years straight. Prior to separating into the Reserves I had heard that one of the ideas being floated for force reduction was that they were planning on kicking out any cop who couldn't be sent to a nuke base.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

abdsp51

Quote from: Paul_AK on December 31, 2015, 04:15:10 PM
Blame AFPC for keeping us there too long, I've always been a proponent of turning it into a controlled tour. My first CMSgt was on his fourth assignment to Malmstrom and the Ops Superintendent when I left was a SMSgt who had been there 14 years straight. Prior to separating into the Reserves I had heard that one of the ideas being floated for force reduction was that they were planning on kicking out any cop who couldn't be sent to a nuke base.

I've recently heard that too and that is the dumbest thing ever.  Sorry but a good junk of folks are not going to get PRP certified with the current standards in place not to mention the attention that area has on it these days. 

The last round of force management hit the 3P field hard.  This is the same mentality as "If you can't deploy, then you shouldn't be a cop..." which is BS..

Flying Pig

When I was in the Marines in security forces, not all Security Force Marines could qualify for the PRP. Those who could went to PRP installations and those who couldn't served well in other places.

TheTravelingAirman

Certain SPs I know have recently lost badges and berets for failing to meet PRP standards. And it was a size able number of our base's SPs.

Paul_AK

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on January 01, 2016, 12:37:37 AM
Certain SPs I know have recently lost badges and berets for failing to meet PRP standards. And it was a size able number of our base's SPs.
Just curious, meet or remain at? Several times I've had the displeasure of suffering the "punish all" syndrome of higher-ups due to the infractions of a few. A number of those included cops losing badges for drug infractions or other, more serious offenses.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

TheTravelingAirman

Couldn't meet initial requirements. SrA generally too. Wasn't going to ask since it seems a sensitive subject as to what exactly they didn't meet requirements-wise. There is a lot that you need and even a good attitude and behavior doesn't mean you won't have a medical issue and vice-versa.

lordmonar

Just curious.....what does it mean to lose your beret and badge as a Security Forces guy?

As a comm guy if you got decertified  for failing an MSEP or screwing up on the job it just meant that you had to re-qualify on those tasks.   Any disciplinary actions would be separate from the decertification.

Now I know that if you are PRP there are lots of ways to get your PRP cert pulled with out there being any misconduct.   If you take certain medications you can't pull PRP duties for example.   It does not mean you can't be a cop....you just can't pull any PRP required taskings.

So......in general....what sort of thing do you have to do to lose your badge and beret?   What does that mean for your AFSC/career/air force commitment?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: lordmonar on January 01, 2016, 03:56:59 AM
Just curious.....what does it mean to lose your beret and badge as a Security Forces guy?

As a comm guy if you got decertified  for failing an MSEP or screwing up on the job it just meant that you had to re-qualify on those tasks.   Any disciplinary actions would be separate from the decertification.

Now I know that if you are PRP there are lots of ways to get your PRP cert pulled with out there being any misconduct.   If you take certain medications you can't pull PRP duties for example.   It does not mean you can't be a cop....you just can't pull any PRP required taskings.

So......in general....what sort of thing do you have to do to lose your badge and beret?   What does that mean for your AFSC/career/air force commitment?

Pat here ya go.

1) It's a kick to the balls especially for those who love the job. 
2) There is a stigma attached when it happens that you are automatically a dirtbag and in some kind of trouble

In general to lose it there are few different things like failing cdc's, failing pt, criminal conduct, AFSC being rescinded etc.  What it means for some people is the chance to retrain stay in the AF and do their time.  Others its a discharge and shown the door depending on the circumstances.  Cops eat their own for everything especially something deemed minor in the rest of the AF. 

Quite honestly this whole thing of if you cant be PRP you cant be a cop is dumb and a poor decision.  Not every installation requires it and you're shooting yourself in the foot at the unit level on up if they go that route. 

And frankly there are a few folks I have known during my time as a Defender that I wouldn't want going to the fields or anywhere near those assets.  I had a hard time trusting some of them to do something as simple as watching planes and doing their sweeps properly. 

This is one area I think they need a new shred for the field for folks to do the missles, bombers etc not everyone is cut out for the duty and those guys tend to get hooked up a lot. 

TheTravelingAirman

Indeed. Our friend lost her badge and beret and has been reclassed to what I believe to be 9A000 (Awaiting Retraining - Reasons beyond control) but could be 9A1 (Awt Rtn-within control). Just prior to my PCS she had been released to FSS and was working in a warehouse. She's hoping to retrain rather than just be let go, but it's not in her hands anymore.

Also, ABDSP51... just a shot in the dark, but Air Base Defense-Security Police?

Paul_AK

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 01, 2016, 04:48:07 AM
Quite honestly this whole thing of if you cant be PRP you cant be a cop is dumb and a poor decision.  Not every installation requires it and you're shooting yourself in the foot at the unit level on up if they go that route. 

And frankly there are a few folks I have known during my time as a Defender that I wouldn't want going to the fields or anywhere near those assets.  I had a hard time trusting some of them to do something as simple as watching planes and doing their sweeps properly. 

This is one area I think they need a new shred for the field for folks to do the missles, bombers etc not everyone is cut out for the duty and those guys tend to get hooked up a lot.
The life and the mission at a Global Strike base is far better than what it was when I first arrived there. Sad that it took embarassments like the Minot incident or the fiasco at F.E. Warren to get the ball rolling, though. And yes, there were plenty of morons on nuke duty who somehow managed to get and stay on PRP. Luckily most get weeded out but it's a watch and wait, unfortunately.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

abdsp51

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on January 01, 2016, 08:35:07 AM
Also, ABDSP51... just a shot in the dark, but Air Base Defense-Security Police?

Yep...