Main Menu

Blues Tie

Started by TheGooseLover, November 13, 2015, 04:21:58 PM

lordmonar

So......poor kids need not apply.

:(

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Or you can find ways to help fund authorized jackets. Not as easy, but much better... and doable.

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2015, 03:58:15 PM

Mmmmmmm...no. Not at all. But, given the amount of money that is required to outfit a cadet, that can be a turn-off on its own anyway. There are some units that can fund or even subsidize the costs of getting proper cold-weather gear through fund-raising or "scholarships" or grants from local businesses. It just takes a little know-how and some feet-beating and door-knocking. There are units in poverty-stricken areas that do just fine, and some in well-to-do areas that flounder.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Here's the thing. Most activities and organizations out there are going to cost money. The solution is not to give members everything, but to facilitate ways for them to get the necessary uniforms, gear and activity fees. My family had a low income growing up, yet I was able to fully participate in CAP for many years. Where there is a will there is a way. And in my experience, cadets who have to work for what they have, tend to appreciate it more and stay in longer.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on November 20, 2015, 04:39:25 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 19, 2015, 09:52:22 PM
Others allow their members, especially cadets, wear their personal winter jackets over their uniforms in cold conditions.

Not me!  No civilian jackets over their USAF style uniforms, no. Never, and I would send someone home from an activity (O Flights, for example) rather than have them hanging around in public in unapproved mixes. Our unit keeps a stock of field jackets to check out in those cases. If its a blues night, they'd better have approved outerwear, OR come in BDUs and borrow an approved field jacket until they buy their own.

If it is too cold for them to be outside without a coat, then the answer set is: go inside, or don approved outerwear, or wear ALL civilian warm clothes, or find another organization. No mixing. Never should we accept a whiny "but... but... SAFETY!" rationalization for this.

V/R
Spam

I completely agree with you on this. If you don't have the approved/authorized uniform for the conditions, wear the civilian equivalent. It's one thing if there was some freak weather phenomena that wasn't forecast that prompted your need to survive in harsh conditions, but for a planned activity, wear the appropriate clothing, or if you don't have it, suck it up. Or, if it's an indoor event, show up early in civies, and change when you're inside.

To Thrawn and Garibaldi's replies:
I think it's more the folks that haven't been around the military much who haven't been held to that standard, especially moms. There are a lot of helicopter parents who may even be seniors in the squadron that can't handle watching their kid tough it out.

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 20, 2015, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2015, 03:58:15 PM

Mmmmmmm...no. Not at all. But, given the amount of money that is required to outfit a cadet, that can be a turn-off on its own anyway. There are some units that can fund or even subsidize the costs of getting proper cold-weather gear through fund-raising or "scholarships" or grants from local businesses. It just takes a little know-how and some feet-beating and door-knocking. There are units in poverty-stricken areas that do just fine, and some in well-to-do areas that flounder.

A lot of squadrons try to bulk up their supplies through fundraising. We are pretty good with BDUs at our squadron, but we don't have the Blues stock we need. We do what we can, but the supply just isn't there.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 20, 2015, 04:49:52 PM
Here's the thing. Most activities and organizations out there are going to cost money. The solution is not to give members everything, but to facilitate ways for them to get the necessary uniforms, gear and activity fees. My family had a low income growing up, yet I was able to fully participate in CAP for many years. Where there is a will there is a way. And in my experience, cadets who have to work for what they have, tend to appreciate it more and stay in longer.

I think a major point to note on this is do not fund-raise your squadron to death. Have one or two big fundraisers for the year, if possible, but don't make it your 5th week activity every quarter. It kills cadet motivation.

We're considering having a starting due to help some of the initial cadet equipment/uniform costs. The problem with cadets are that they outgrow their uniforms very quickly.