New PAO, looking for PA and Crisis Communication examples

Started by xray328, September 02, 2015, 02:10:55 PM

xray328

Hey guys, I've been selected/volunteered/given the opportunity to be our units PAO.  I'll admit the position is very outside my normal comfort zone, but I'm willing to take on the challenge. I have no PA experience, but I certainly see the value in it and really want to do my best for the Unit/Wing.  I'd really like to obtain the technician rating in the specialty, personal goal of mine. It seems like there's a lot of folks in this position but not many that are getting rated in it.

Anyone willing to share their communication plans? Wing has been very helpful in offering assistance, just looking to see what everyone else does.  Thanks!

JC004

I could send you some things.  I haven't finished re-digitizing my old paper docs, so I'm starting with outlines, but an outline can be a good place to start with a plan. 

Al Sayre

You should talk to your Wing PAO.  Your unit's plan needs to be integrated into the Wing's plan, and he/she may already have the basics for your unit.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BillB

Besides all the comments here, one thing 99% of PAO's never think about is speaking engagements to local civic clubs such as Rotary. Most clubs look for interesting speakers. Call the President or Secretary and see if they are looking for speakers. Chances are that they are.
Present what CAP does on local level for the community, and what it has to offer. Do NOT do a recruiting speech. You are there to present yours communities CAP, Mention the three missions of CAP, Cadet programs, emergency services and aerospace education. Speak 2-3 minutes on each mentioning local activities for each. And be prepared to answer questions. Keep in mind many of the club members have kids of cadet age, and several are probably involved in public safety that may be interested in emergency services.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

One thing that I included in the latest outline that I'm typing up, which I haven't really seen in CAP PA plans is placing signs based on traffic volume in the area.  The Boy Scouts have signs for recruiting and they're cheap/easy enough to get made (the political size/type).  They can be made in short runs - just a few at a time.  Just try to make sure they look distinctively different when compared to a political sign.  Most state Departments of Transportation make their traffic studies available.  You can go on their websites and find out where the greatest traffic volume is in your squadron's area, then place the signs strategically in those spots. 

TheSkyHornet

I just finished the IS100, and plan to get more of the FEMA courses done fairly soon.

Have you taken those yet? Definitely a good look into the different roles in crisis management and how a PAO may be incorporated/interfaced with other departments. I see a lot of the stuff they talk about doesn't even necessarily need to be applied solely to an emergency, but can be applied to a lot of other non-crisis functions as well.

JC004

For crisis communications, I've always liked this booklet, even though it's getting old now:

http://www.orau.gov/cdcynergy/erc/content/activeinformation/resources/HHSRiskCommPrimer.pdf

xray328