Gen Vazquez's Statement on CAP Part of USAF Total Force

Started by AALTIS, August 28, 2015, 02:36:10 PM

JC004

Quote from: winterg on August 28, 2015, 04:30:31 PM
We should make an updated version of this classic.

National did.  It's their social media banner now:

goblin

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- When conducting missions for the Air Force as the official Air Force auxiliary, the Civil Air Patrol is now included in the Air Force's definition of the total force. CAP has provided 74 years of support to emergency services, aerospace education and cadet programs.

I think we are all ignoring the first part of that. When activated on USAF missions, CAP is part of the total force. Not 24/7/365

CAPDCCMOM

Definately a proud day for CAP.  :clap: Maybe, now that we are "Total Force", we can get some more funding from the Air Force. I just hope that people will continue to remember that we are "Appointed Officers", not "Commissioned Officers". It is even more inportatnt that we live up to the best Standards of the Civil Air Patrol. We must wear uniforms properly, and with pride.

I will now get off the soap box and stop preaching to the choir.

CAPDCCMOM

Angus

I'd like to know what we'll get out of this.  Personally I'm hoping for some more missions so we can show how much we're capable of. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

goblin

Quote from: Member Who on August 28, 2015, 08:57:48 PM
I'd like to know what we'll get out of this.  Personally I'm hoping for some more missions so we can show how much we're capable of.

Such as?

insertcallsignhere

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on August 28, 2015, 08:46:54 PM
Definately a proud day for CAP.  :clap: Maybe, now that we are "Total Force", we can get some more funding from the Air Force. I just hope that people will continue to remember that we are "Appointed Officers", not "Commissioned Officers". It is even more inportatnt that we live up to the best Standards of the Civil Air Patrol. We must wear uniforms properly, and with pride.

I will now get off the soap box and stop preaching to the choir.

Why more funding from the Air Force? What do you want more funding for? I'm not being snarky I'm seriously curious. What don't you have that you want? Congress gave us more money than we asked for this year.

And by the way, the USAF doesn't fund us directly, "CAP receives funding through a cooperative agreement with the USAF. A cooperative agreement is like a grant." FYI.

lordmonar

Quote from: dwb on August 28, 2015, 07:21:51 PM
CAP Talk complains that USAF never shows us any love.

USAF shows us some love.

CAP Talk complains about USAF showing us love.
+ 100000000000

This is why CAPTALK is a bad word with a lot of CAP and USAF members!

Geeze guys!   

The next time someone out there asks "Why doesn't the USAF like us"........think about it......."Why don't we like ourselves"? should be the more pertinent question.

The USAF is letting us be on their team.  We may be third string back-up red shirts......but we are good enough to be on the team and earn our sports letter!

Let's be happy.  Let us, instead of complaining and grousing, urge our peers and subordinates to be truly worthy of getting on the team!

END OF RANT.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

RiverAux

Although this change in itself won't cause any immediate, massive changes, if this posture is maintained over the long term I think it can be beneficial.  There are some distinct intangible benefits to being included as part of the team -- I think one reason the USCG and their Aux are so close is that the Aux has always been part of the team and viewed as such at all levels, including the top.  You rarely see any sort of general statements made by the CG Commandant about the big picture at the CG that don't at least mention the Aux. 

All that being said, its just a good first step.

Hopefully this will lead to resolutions to some of those minor irritations of CAP/USAF interactions such as base access and perhaps drive some serious talk about other ways that CAP can be a more significant part of the team. 

RRLE

Quote from: RiverAux on August 28, 2015, 10:26:21 PM
There are some distinct intangible benefits to being included as part of the team -- I think one reason the USCG and their Aux are so close is that the Aux has always been part of the team and viewed as such at all levels, including the top.  You rarely see any sort of general statements made by the CG Commandant about the big picture at the CG that don't at least mention the Aux.

The Aux and the USCG are not that close, feel good statements or not. You have posted on Aux forums that the close relationship really only exists between Aux units and USCG units in close proximity and then only if the USCG wants them. The Aux has been included in these same "total force", "one force" statements for more than a decade. It hasn't changed the Aux one iota. In fact, despite claims in this thread that it is a membership boost, Aux membership has been declining for years, despite all the "feel good" statements. Nor has the USCG cash support to the Aux increased. It has actually decreased. The USCG has even tried to dump missions on the Aux without funds and told the Aux to find the funds from private industry.

When I read the opening post and knowing the Aux history, my reaction was BOHICA. But I wish you luck anyway.

sarmed1

Based on the above CG vs Aux relationship thought.  In the USAF/CAP arrangement, I would envision this being more to the USAF benefit per say; in so much that it makes the avenue more widely known and perhaps encouraged to improve cost savings by "turfing" needs to the "Aux" vs AD/Res component.  (it was there before, but this makes it more well know as an option)

Like mentioned it likely wont change the day to day CAP operation (maybe a better "line" to the powers that be in USAF co-located CAP units would be the top end benefit)

I dont envision (anytime soon) any change to the oversight structure, uniforms (yeah I know) or any other lean toward a more "similar-ness" to the USAF.

time will tell, but I do look forward to the possibilities

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

NIN

USAF shows us some love.

It's it terrible that I want to say I <3 you?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cadet CJS

So I've been doing a lot of searching and reading since I first saw the announcement but I cant find what I'm looking for. What will change? I understand those doing SAR missions for the USAF will now be called Airman. But what beyond that? For the Cadets? And operations at a squadron level?

Panache

USAF shows us some love.

Heh.  True.  But it's not just on CAP Talk.  There's some serious in-fighting right now on some of the CAP Facebook groups as well over this announcement.

Quote from: Cadet CJS on August 29, 2015, 03:30:40 AM
So I've been doing a lot of searching and reading since I first saw the announcement but I cant find what I'm looking for. What will change?

Effectively nothing, at least for now.  This is simply an acknowledgement from the Air Force that we're "part of the team".  Nothing more.  Any changes that will happen will be very subtle, probably more to do with us interacting with the Air Force bureaucracy on the National level which will have little if any impact to the local units.

RiverAux

Quote from: RRLE on August 29, 2015, 12:32:11 AM
The Aux and the USCG are not that close, feel good statements or not. You have posted on Aux forums that the close relationship really only exists between Aux units and USCG units in close proximity and then only if the USCG wants them. The Aux has been included in these same "total force", "one force" statements for more than a decade.

There is a difference between whether a local CG unit needs or desires Aux support (which can vary wildly) and the general relationship between the CG and the Aux. 

In my own experience at a flotilla more than 2 hours from the nearest CG unit we get much more attention and respect from the Coast Guard than I do in my CAP unit which is in a town with a major Air Force base.  Now, maybe that would be different if the AFB actually had some measure of responsibility for us as does the CG unit. 

Storm Chaser

This is based on specific locations and individual experiences. I've seen quite the opposite in my AOR. We have a great relationship with the Air Force and support them in many ways.

The same can be said of the USCGAux. There are units that are active and work closely with the USCG. And there are others that get together to talk about boats and not much else. Unfortunately, where you are and which unit you belong to makes a different in these two organizations.

THRAWN

Meh. Nothing new here. Big blue likes us again and we are on the big team...for now...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023