Gen Vazquez's Statement on CAP Part of USAF Total Force

Started by AALTIS, August 28, 2015, 02:36:10 PM

CAPs1

veiled reference to ABUs, etc.
Will simplify, going forward.

Appreciate your effort to do the same, or maybe stating the obvious comes easier to you.
Not worth the time, certainly not for me. Thx
Regards.

winterg

We should make an updated version of this classic.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:49:45 PM
In deference to USAF Active Duty Airmen past, present and future, CAP members remain volunteers, not airmen.

There is an abyss between the two.

As an Active Duty USAF Capt I appreciate the deference...however....

General Vasquez can tell me as a CAP member that I am a part of the total force. I can have a reaction like yours if I wish...

Brigadier General Paul H. Guemmer of the Holm Center told me as both a CAP member, and USAF officer, that General Welsh signed new doctrine this week (I checked and didn't see it posted yet, but hey) that CAP, as the Auxiliary, is now included in the definition of "Total Force" and are therefore "Airman."

Therefore, my Chief of Staff has directed me as a USAF Captain that CAP members are Airman.

Frankly, it is irrelevant what you think, or deference you think you are giving. Your refusal to refer to CAP members as "Airman" is equivalent to refusing to refer to our AF civilian personnel  as "Airman." Therefore, you are denigrating my fellow Airman by trying to exclude them from the Total Force of which I am a part in two different capacities.

If you wish to show extra deference to the Commissioned and Enlisted members of the Total Force I can understand, but please do so in a manner that is not disrespectful of the rest of the Total Force.

CAPs1

Might not have taken this seriously if your rant would've afforded you a drink at the local CAP drinking hole.
But it doesn't. And is as relevant to me as my thoughts are to you.

As I mentioned in PM, best wishes. This is a just cause.
Regards.

ColonelJack

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:49:45 PM
In deference to USAF Active Duty Airmen past, present and future, CAP members remain volunteers, not airmen.

There is an abyss between the two.

I'm guessing that this announcement is causing you some significant degree of heartburn, and you'd rather the Air Force and CAP maintain some distance between themselves.

If the word is given by Gen. Vazquez then your reaction is one of two justified ones (the other being "YAY!  We're on the team!").  But this announcement came from Gen. Guemmer, an active-duty AF general officer, and refers to a directive signed by the Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force (or other highest-level AF official).  That means that it's official.  We in CAP are now considered "Airmen" along with everybody else on the team.  We're not the red-headed stepchild any more.

Having been active-duty AF (albeit a LONG time ago), I accept the accolade with gratitude.  If there is an abyss, it's been greatly reduced.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

CAPs1

Dear Col,
Thank you for the thoughtful post. I won't feed the frenzy, if avoidable.
Given the enormity in difference in the mission, risk and sacrifice our Airmen face, it seemed to lessen or dilute their service.

If this recognition will bring about other, more substantive changes, I welcome them and would find them more galvanizing than being called an 'Airman'. But I cannot bring myself to equating service members' commitment, mission and sacrifice with the dedication, albeit valuable, of a volunteer force which is what CAP is until regs are amended.
Regards

TheSkyHornet

Seeing as how this seems to have an implication as to your opinion of the abyss between the Air Force and CAP, with CAP being recognized now as a component of the Air Force and CAP members being "Airmen," what is it that you would like to see come of this recognition, aside from it just being sentimental and a formal redress of CAP standing?

Is there something that could be changed in CAP to make the members worthy of holding the "Airman" title, or is that something that should strictly be applied to the Air Force only, as a military title?

I'm being specific to the term as a military reference, as many individuals, including myself, are already considered airmen according to the Federal Aviation Administration, which is obviously not so much linked with the military respect of the word.

CAPs1

Thanks.
CAP standing is the same unless CAPR 39-2 has changed. Members are still volunteers.
'Airman' applies to aviators and members of USAF. Not all members of the volunteer organization.

More authoritative and experienced contributors have discussed how formal recognition should/could bring about changes in missions, funding, education opportunities, and access, as I recall. I remain hopeful this is on the horizon.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 05:49:06 PM
Thanks.
CAP standing is the same unless CAPR 39-2 has changed. Members are still volunteers.
'Airman' applies to aviators and members of USAF. Not all members of the volunteer organization.

I would say at this point we all agree that the Air Force and CAP have discussed this topic, and they have taken their stance on the subject. Whether we agree or don't agree with that stance, they far outrank us on that issue, and our opinions of it won't necessarily stand in the way of their vision for both the military component and volunteer corps of the Air Force mission.

More authoritative and experienced contributors have discussed how formal recognition should/could bring about changes in missions, funding, education opportunities, and access, as I recall. I remain hopeful this is on the horizon.

What's good is that this forum is filled with people from all walks of CAP, from lower-ranking cadets to squadron activities officers to CAP recruiting directors. There's a lot of communication and a lot of ideas/concerns flowing around to be brought to the attention of those with a lot more power in managing CAP overall, especially in setting policies. With some of these individuals on this very forum, it's a way for us lower-level guys/gals to express our desires for CAP as well as our own visions, which they can take home with them to discuss with the higher-ups. We won't always get our way since it's hard for us to see the big picture sometimes, but as I always say, the first step to bringing attention to any subject is addressing it with others, especially those with the ability to take it further than we might be able to on our own.

I'm not sure what we're going to see come from the Welsh-Vazquez discussion and subsequent announcement, but I hope it's for the benefit of CAP across the board in support of the Air Force, as intended.

CAPs1

I'm not sure what we're going to see come from the Welsh-Vazquez discussion and subsequent announcement, but I hope it's for the benefit of CAP across the board in support of the Air Force, as intended.

Agreed. Thanks for the chance to clarify.
Regards.

FW

It's always good to hear we are part of the "total force".  It's even better when it's an official statement coming from the CSAF.   Please understand, though, it will not change our status as members in any way.  Our service to our communities will remain the same.  Our budget will be the same.  Our uniforms will be a topic of discussion on CAP Talk; as usual.  Recruitment and retention will not change due to this statement.  I, for one, however will smile a little broader when wearing the uniform.  I appreciate the words...

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Flying Pig

I believe the key phrase from the national commander was "although this wont change much in how CAP does business......" 

dwb

CAP Talk complains that USAF never shows us any love.

USAF shows us some love.

CAP Talk complains about USAF showing us love.

DoubleSecret

It depends how members approach it.  Some people get a title and think about what it brings to them.  Others get a title and think about what it enables them to do for others.

The distilled essence of the whole thing is this:  CAP is here to help Big Blue.  If we're going around with chips on our shoulders about minutiae (salutes and medals and bling and ooh, maybe a CAC, oh my!) during interactions with Big Blue, that's not helping.  If we're bringing quiet professionalism to those interactions, that's helping.  The quiet helps (if you're awesome, you don't have to tell people you're awesome) and the professionalism helps.

Followup:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/615251/civil-air-patrol-joins-total-force-airmen.aspx

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: DoubleSecret on August 28, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
It depends how members approach it.  Some people get a title and think about what it brings to them.  Others get a title and think about what it enables them to do for others.

The distilled essence of the whole thing is this:  CAP is here to help Big Blue.  If we're going around with chips on our shoulders about minutiae (salutes and medals and bling and ooh, maybe a CAC, oh my!) during interactions with Big Blue, that's not helping.  If we're bringing quiet professionalism to those interactions, that's helping.  The quiet helps (if you're awesome, you don't have to tell people you're awesome) and the professionalism helps.

Agree completely.

But bear in mind that the recognition does add that extra motivation, which improves retention, making it easier to conduct that mission.
I don't agree with wearing a uniform to get the attention at all. And you do have people in CAP who think they have earned something just because the book says they do. Although, this move by USAF-NCC does add that extra push to keep things being pushed along.

+1 for the use for the word "minutiae"  ;D

Capt Thompson

On the one hand, it's business as usual, but with our heads a little higher, and a little more pride in our eyes....

On the other, it's a wakeup call. When you look in the mirror, do you see an American Airman? When you go about your normal day to day routine, do you exemplify the Core Values? Hopefully, with the added sense of pride in CAP, comes an added sense in pride to our members in representing CAP. Maybe this change will cause a few more members to straighten their ribbons, or iron their uniform, and want to be worthy of the title American Airman.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Flying Pig

Quote from: dwb on August 28, 2015, 07:21:51 PM
CAP Talk complains that USAF never shows us any love.

USAF shows us some love.

CAP Talk complains about USAF showing us love.

I never understood why CAP members got so uptight about feeling "neglected" by the USAF.   Again, the National CCs comments prove its nothing more than feel good lip service.  I didnt say it, he did.  The man said it himself, "this wont change anything about how CAP operates.  But jump up and down and high five each other if you want.  Ive always thought CAP was and has always been treated pretty well.  Ive held most positions to include Sq. CC, Ive been a CD/Mission Pilot, flew a few hundred hours on CD and other CAP missions, flown missions at LE counter drug courses as a CAP pilot... and never once worried about whether or not the USAF appreciated me.  Sometimes I read comments and wonder how many of you really do get out beyond the uniform discussions. 

Luis R. Ramos

What did you expect?

Its the UNIFORMITY of CAPTalk!

;D

Hey, did that count as "Turning this thread into an UNIFORM issue?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer