Main Menu

Admirals Check-In

Started by ColonelJack, April 25, 2007, 06:52:59 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 26, 2007, 12:53:55 AM
Admiral Cranford
CINCELKRVRFLOT

Reporting in.

(Title looks Navish...Commander in Chief Elkhorn River Flotilla)

Well done. My sweetie is COMNAVHOMEPAC, since she outranks me Navy-wise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

isuhawkeye

just wait until you all get Shanghai into service

Nick Critelli

Admiral Critelli is also in if you need me.  If not, I can return to my duties as a Colonel in the great army of  Kentucky
;D

sardak

Quote from: RiverAux on April 26, 2007, 12:24:32 AM
Just to throw a note of seriousness here, back in the late 1800s and up until WWII about half the states had a naval militia, including quite a few inland states...

I strongly suspect that Nebraska's Admiral program is the remnants of their naval militia system.  While they may have turned it into a joke, it still is a serious matter in some parts.  Just wanted to bring it to your attention. 

That sounds better than the real story. Excerpts from a 2003 newspaper article:

"The navy started when Gov. Charles Bryan left the state for a few weeks in 1931 and put Lt. Gov. Theodore W. Metcalfe in charge. Metcalfe's friends had been goading him to appoint them to government positions, so he created the fictional navy and began appointing admirals.

"My answer to them was that I could do them one better and appoint them with the highest rank I could think of," Metcalfe said in a 1946 letter.

The practice was continued by Gov. Dwight Griswold in the 1940s, and the tradition was passed on to subsequent governors.

[Former] Gov. Mike Johanns has granted 6,609 admiralties in Nebraska's Great Navy since taking office in January 1999 [through 2003]. His first official act upon taking office was to grant admiralties to his wife, Stephanie, his then-20-year-old son, Justin, and his then-16-year- old daughter, Michaela.

But not every person who applies will receive an admiralship. Johanns has rejected a handful.

"The one that I specifically remember was very strange," said Cherri Carpenter, the governor's administrative assistant who handles the applications. "It was very militant and gave no reason why he should have an admiralship."
(Future CAP Talk applicants take note).

"In Kentucky, it's a big deal to be a Kentucky colonel," [Admiral Gloria LeDroit] said of that state's goodwill ambassadors. "We're admirals, so we're a little smoother."

Them sound like fightin' words.

Mike

CLB

I've said it many times....(Becks back me up here)

Forget Admiral........

I want to be the first CAP COMMODORE!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I'll be the Commander of the CAPSOPC in wartime. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Al Sayre

Psst.   Commodores are the do-boys of Admirals (O-6 or O-7 vs. O-10 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_%28USN%29), so go get us Admirals and Admiral Designee's some coffee and donuts ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davedove

For those of you who received your Admiralships, especially those who don't live in Nebraska, what did you use for your reason for nomination?
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on April 26, 2007, 02:06:54 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 25, 2007, 06:56:01 PM
Sound Effects - Boatswain's whistle

All Hands, All Hands, Admiral Jimmydeanno on board.EDIT: Sorry to any naval personnel if I botched the protocol...

Thou art summarily demoted to the rank of Ordinary Seaman. Bosuns don't have whistles, they have pipes, and the resulting sounds are calls.

Duely noted, and corrected.  I do believe that according to the pamphlet recieved, that something like this would be punishable by walking the plank.  First I'll have to complete objective 10 - "Increase the fleet of flagships of the Nebraska Navy" before I have a plank to walk however.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Admiral Seng is on Deck.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 26, 2007, 12:07:46 PM

I do believe that according to the pamphlet recieved, that something like this would be punishable by walking the plank.

Better make it walking a short plank, a full length one would take across the river to dry ground.  We want you to at least get wet,
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

CINCMSFLT arriving. 
My commission arrived today.
Date of Rank 15 April 2007. 
;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

RiverAux

Wouldn't you all just die if I found some little-known clause in the Nebraska statutes that made you liable for some form of service now that you have these certificates?    Don't worry, you're safe -- I already looked.   >:D

Al Sayre

We might be tasked to apply a crowbar to Colorado and Wyoming in order to seek Nebraska's sea...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

DrJbdm

Admiral Meiners checking in.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on April 29, 2007, 02:56:10 AM
Wouldn't you all just die if I found some little-known clause in the Nebraska statutes that made you liable for some form of service now that you have these certificates?    Don't worry, you're safe -- I already looked.   >:D

Now..THAT WOULD BE  FUNNY!!! :D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 30, 2007, 03:20:39 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 29, 2007, 02:56:10 AM

Now..THAT WOULD BE  FUNNY!!! :D
You just about gave me a heart attack. >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

It does say "and you are to observe and follow, from time to time, such directions you shall receive."  ???

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 30, 2007, 04:58:40 PM
It does say "and you are to observe and follow, from time to time, such directions you shall receive."  ???

And much as it functions in this organization, they've gotta *find* him first...  ;D

V/R
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Major Lord

I think I am an Admiral "select". I have not received my official commission in the e-mail yet. I prudently entered a date  from last year to make sure that none of you would have time in grade over me!

Capt. ( Adm, Select, ) CAP and Navy of Nebraska
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

mikeylikey

Hmmm.....got mine today.  The only thing is I never sent for one, and the name on the thing says "Mikeylikey".  So Admiral Mikeylikey checking in.  I have never been to Nebraska nor have any intention of traveling to that fine state.

I guess they have a machine printing these and mailing them out, as a real person would have caught that!

COLGAN.....did you do this you?

What's up monkeys?