Main Menu

3-Day Assault Bag

Started by Jakemiller31u, March 05, 2015, 04:37:40 PM

Jakemiller31u

So I was looking around on amazon for a 3 Day Bag that I could use for both CAP and for my own adventures. I did stumble across a bag from Condor and it seems to have generally good reviews. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it or knows about any other bags that would be useful for a 72 hour kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037LVA1W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Although I do have a few questions...Should I have 2 bags? My squadron gave us a packing list for an Emergency Services Training weekend that took place in October, but I was not able to attend. On the list there are 2 different parts. One is a list for Single Day Activities and the other is a list for Overnight Activities but it is an addition to the basic gear. Should I have one main pack and then another to carry around some things? How does that usually work?

vorteks

You might like this deal on Woot today:

http://sport.woot.com/offers/yukon-tactical-alpha-backpack-3-colors-3

Yukon Tactical Alpha Backpack
$39.99 (50% off List Price)

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Jakemiller31u on March 05, 2015, 04:37:40 PM
So I was looking around on amazon for a 3 Day Bag that I could use for both CAP and for my own adventures. I did stumble across a bag from Condor and it seems to have generally good reviews. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it or knows about any other bags that would be useful for a 72 hour kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037LVA1W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Although I do have a few questions...Should I have 2 bags? My squadron gave us a packing list for an Emergency Services Training weekend that took place in October, but I was not able to attend. On the list there are 2 different parts. One is a list for Single Day Activities and the other is a list for Overnight Activities but it is an addition to the basic gear. Should I have one main pack and then another to carry around some things? How does that usually work?

For GTM3 you are required only a 24 hour kit. For GTM2 or GTM1 you need the 24 hour and 72 hour. The two should be able to connect together, or the 72 hour should be able to hold the 24. 72 hour bag could be a duffle bag with straps. You will rarely need to carry the full 3 day kit into the woods, it usually just stays at base camp, but the 24 hour gear is always with you.

For my 24 hour gear I use a vest with attached pouches. The condor would be an adequate size for a 72 hour pack, as would the bag veritec suggested. Using a vest or LBE harness, the pack could easily be worn on top, allowing you to carry the 24 and 72 hour gear together if needed.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Jakemiller31u

Quote from: S/M Thompson on March 05, 2015, 07:42:34 PM
Quote from: Jakemiller31u on March 05, 2015, 04:37:40 PM

For GTM3 you are required only a 24 hour kit. For GTM2 or GTM1 you need the 24 hour and 72 hour. The two should be able to connect together, or the 72 hour should be able to hold the 24. 72 hour bag could be a duffle bag with straps. You will rarely need to carry the full 3 day kit into the woods, it usually just stays at base camp, but the 24 hour gear is always with you.

For my 24 hour gear I use a vest with attached pouches. The condor would be an adequate size for a 72 hour pack, as would the bag veritec suggested. Using a vest or LBE harness, the pack could easily be worn on top, allowing you to carry the 24 and 72 hour gear together if needed.

Ok, by vest do you mean something like a plate carrier design? This thing our squadron does is something that we call a Ranger Weekend and it is only us and a few other local squadrons that do it with us (so I'm told). Now it is a 3 Day event. I'm going to go ahead and run down the list that they gave me. Should I compile this in that condor bag as kind of a mix between 72 and 24 hour or just buy 2 separate bags?

Basic Day Gear List (For Single Day Activities)
Complete BDU Uniform
2 Canteens or 1 Camelback
Orange Vest
Orange Hardhat
Wallet with CAP ID, 101, etc...
Notebook, Pencil, Pen, Paper
Jacket
Rain Gear
Snacks for duration of field time
Day pack/small back pack (school bag sized) <--------Would this be my 24 hour bag?
Leather Gloves

Watch
Pocket Knife/Lock blade Knife
(no blade > 6in permitted)
Compass
Signal Mirror
Whistle
Utility Cord (Paracord 550lb or equivalent)
Sunscreen
Chapstick
Bug Repellant
Personal first aid kit

Extended Gear List (For Overnight Activities - IN ADDITION TO BASIC GEAR)
Extra BDU Uniform (If possible)
Extra socks (2 or 3 pairs per day)
Personal Hygiene Supplies
Underwear
Black T-Shirts
Food for duration of field time and utensils
Flashlight and spare batteries
Sleeping Bag
Shelter (tent)
Tissues/toilet paper
Matches

Ground pad
Glow sticks
Duct Tape
Rope/webbing
Trash bags

**ITEMS MARKED IN BOLD ARE MANDATORY**

Capt Thompson

Plate carriers aren't functionally efficient for normal CAP activities. They look cool, but are heavy, bulky and hot, and are mostly useless. Search "Plate Carrier" on this website for lots of opinions on this.

By vest, I mean a tactical Molle or SarMed vest (search sarmed vest on captalk). I use an orange tactical Molle from dutyapparel.com (the vest they sell under the safety link) with several orange pouches and a red first aid kit. Remember, whatever you wear, you have to cover with an ANSI Class II orange or yellow reflective vest, so if you go with the cool looking plate carrier, you'll be the only one who knows you're wearing it.

Another option is a cheap daypack. A school backpack would be large enough to hold all of the 24 hour gear with room to spare.

The full list of 24 and 72 hour gear can be found here:

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/985/~/contents-of-the-24-hour-and-72-hour-packs

Remember, whatever you get, needs to be durable, functional, professional and visible. Don't go too tactical and weigh yourself down with a useless plate carrier. Be smart, so you can remain proficient in the field, rather than getting overheated and becoming the mission.
Capt Matt Thompson

jeders

Quote from: Jakemiller31u on March 05, 2015, 08:11:53 PM
Ok, by vest do you mean something like a plate carrier design?

NO PLATE CARRIERS. Seriously though, they're hot, uncomfortable, and restrict your movement. What he means is a load bearing vest, something like this. The orange MOLLE vest that he mentions is also a great option, but is very expensive for someone just starting out, which it sounds like you are. Alternatively, an old school backpack (assuming your school allows backpacks) that is still in good shape would also work well.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Capt Thompson

Yes, or the old school pistol belt, LBE suspenders and butt pack are what got me through 5 years as a Cadet. The orange vest is quite expensive, but with the 15% discount he gives CAP members and the exchange rate it's not as expensive as it looks, but still a bit much for someone getting their feet bet in ES.

Go with the school backpack, get some cheap gear at Walmart, and decide if ES is your thing. If after a few Sarex's you decide it's what you want to do, upgrade to some decent gear.

Remember, you have to be able to carry your gear, plus possibly the weight of another person on a litter. A lesson I learned as a Cadet once when a Senior slid down the side of a mountain at Winter Hawk and broke his leg. If I had to haul a litter with a 300lb senior, and I was wearing a plate carrier, it would disappear very quickly!
Capt Matt Thompson