Main Menu

5.11 Med Kit Review

Started by winterg, February 15, 2015, 03:24:52 PM

winterg

I made the mistake of browsing the 5.11 section at my local gun store yesterday.  I like many of the options that 5.11 has in their gear, but the price tag is often very off putting.  That being said, one of their new pouches caught my eye and I decided to pick one up.

3.6 Med Kit by 5.11
http://www.511tactical.com/36-med-kit.html

I purchased it for two reasons, one, it is smaller than most of the IFAK pouches out there and I specifically wanted one to fit on the side of my 24 hour pack.  This one looked like it would work for that.

It has single hand operation with a tab that allows you to rip it open in a hurry and of course you have to have the snazzy pvc cross on the front flap.  The small pouch on the front is supposed to hold a CAT tourniquet but most of the negative reviews associated with this pouch detail a serious difficulty in actually getting one in there.  Since we don't carry tourniquets in CAP, this didn't really worry me.  And it turns out to be the perfect size for a flashlight or multi-tool.

It will hold all of the items listed in the Task Guide for a Med Kit in the 24 hour pack.  But that's about it.  You may be able to add a few more band aids and a pair of small shears, but that is pretty much it.  The only extra item I have in here over the required listing is 3 or 4 pairs of rubber gloves.  That is my only addition here.  As you can see, there are a few little pouches that keep most of the items from falling out if you rip it open.  I rearranged it a few times after this picture to get things where I wanted them and the big items I placed in a Ziploc bag so if anything falls out, it is only one thing.

The next thing I did, was to replace the zipper pulls with orange 550 cord to make them easily able to be found in the dark.  After doing this, I looked at my pack and thought that would be a good afternoon project for that as well.

As you can see, it fits well in the location I wanted for it.  Overall, I think it works OK, but I am not sure I would highly recommend this pouch.  Especially if you are on a budget.  Considering that the pack I am using is about $25 and this Med Kit alone is $27-$30 it is very cost prohibitive for what you get.

sarmed1

I am not a fan of 5.11 gear.  Its usually overpriced vs the quality/functuality.  A number of the pouches I got for tac team use are just that, a pouch, I was expecting some sort of inner divders, velcro, elastic  etc.  I have had much more luck with condor and some of the ther off brands in the pocuh department.  Decent quality, but better function and better price.

my $0.2
MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

winterg

I agree.  5.11 is usually way over priced for what you get.  I've been happy with the Condor and even the Rothco stuff.

Capt Thompson

I picked up a red Condor med pouch last week for $15 at the local surplus store. Holds all the required gear, a couple extra pairs of gloves, a pair of emt shears and a cpr mask. The red sticks out, so it's easy to spot the first aid supplies.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

LTCinSWR

Quote from: winterg on February 15, 2015, 10:43:01 PM
I agree.  5.11 is usually way over priced for what you get.  I've been happy with the Condor and even the Rothco stuff.

Like any vocation, those newer to the field tend to go for 'goodies'. 5.11 IMHO is among those who are ready, willing and able to meet that need. (g) Umpteen years ago, when I was a freshly-minted EMT, the hip kit with all the bells and whistles was my constant companion. 20 years later when I got off the streets as a Paramedic Supervisor, the only 'gadgets' that remained were a pen and a penlight in the shirt pocket and a pair of 'penny cutters' (bandage scissors) which were stuck between my trousers and belt and threaded through a belt loop.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters