Main Menu

Another NEW CAP Board

Started by abysmal, April 29, 2005, 02:29:00 AM

abysmal

Just thought you should know.
There is another new CAP Board that just surfaced.

http://www.auxiliarypower.org/phpbb2/index.php

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

auxiliarypower.org and the Minuteman Forum  isn't new per se.... It's been around for a couple of years but it kind of died out when their forums broke a while back.  I see they have a new forum and site layout.

Another one I found on the military.com CAP forum:

http://www.flyingminutemen.com/forum/
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on April 29, 2005, 02:51:34 AM
auxiliarypower.org and the Minuteman Forum  isn't new per se.... It's been around for a couple of years but it kind of died out when their forums broke a while back.  I see they have a new forum and site layout.

I had seen the blog site on Auzillary power, but never saw a forum before.
Now its off to check out your submission..

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on April 29, 2005, 02:51:34 AM

Seems like there are CAP Boards sprouting up all over the place now.

MIKE

Are you gonna join every CAP forum out there Chris?  ;D

I usually wait for the post traffic to pick up a bit, or until I find a topic I must reply to before I will commit to logging into a forum.

I wish there were more US Coast Guard Auxiliary forums.  I've only found the one on military.com in my quest for info about the organization.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on April 29, 2005, 05:44:26 PM

I usually wait for the post traffic to pick up a bit, or until I find a topic I must reply to before I will commit to logging into a forum.

I wish there were more US Coast Guard Auxiliary forums.  I've only found the one on military.com in my quest for info about the organization.

Sure.
Why not.
It certainly doesn't cost me anything to sign up and offer a little free support to them.

If we could just get the CAP News to run an article on this www site, maybe we could get a couple hundred more members to join.

Major_Chuck

I think it is a good thing myself.  Different forums, sometimes different people.  The important thing whether it is CAPTALK, AuxiliaryPower.org, CadetStuff, etc is that it is people (Cadets and Seniors) exchanging ideas, communicating, etc. 

Fifteen years ago when I joined CAP we were lucky to communicate within the wing via radio or packet.  Now I can 'chat' with people not only across the country but across the world.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 29, 2005, 11:34:50 PM
I think it is a good thing myself.  Different forums, sometimes different people.  The important thing whether it is CAPTALK, AuxiliaryPower.org, CadetStuff, etc is that it is people (Cadets and Seniors) exchanging ideas, communicating, etc. 

Fifteen years ago when I joined CAP we were lucky to communicate within the wing via radio or packet.  Now I can 'chat' with people not only across the country but across the world.

I could not AGREE more with you!
This venue for information has SAVED me enormous amounts of time and effort.!!!

Skyray

Sorry, old man, one is pretty much what there is.  There used to be HalfDeck on Delphi, but the guys got to bugging the forum host about the PSI (Personal Security Investigation) and she shut it down.  You get a distorted view of the organization--I'm not saying that the Auxiliary program doesn't have warts, but they seem a lot more prominent on a board that is dedicated to griping about what's wrong.  There used to be an "Official Forum" also, but NACO (National Commander) about two terms back shut it down because it was bringing out problems that his sub-commanders didn't want him to know about, they complained, and he shut it off.

The biggest difference in the Auxiliary and the CAP is that no auxiliarist can terminate any other auxiliarist--It takes a full blown real admiral, or his designee.  So if you become a PITA, just make sure that you are more productive than the trouble you're causing.  Political terminations are unheard of.  Unless of course, you tell the admiral to pound sand, like my mentor did. ;D
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

MIKE

Quote from: Skyray on May 09, 2005, 11:07:29 PM

Sorry, old man, one is pretty much what there is.  There used to be HalfDeck on Delphi, but the guys got to bugging the forum host about the PSI (Personal Security Investigation) and she shut it down.  You get a distorted view of the organization--I'm not saying that the Auxiliary program doesn't have warts, but they seem a lot more prominent on a board that is dedicated to griping about what's wrong.  There used to be an "Official Forum" also, but NACO (National Commander) about two terms back shut it down because it was bringing out problems that his sub-commanders didn't want him to know about, they complained, and he shut it off.

Old man?  Would you believe mid-twenties?  Not anywhere near the average age of a prospective Auxiliarist I know.... The Auxies on the military.com forum keep saying how the Aux needs to recruit younger folks.  Young for your average CAP senior too, but not as much of an age difference when compared to the CG Aux it seems.

I've been lurking on the military.com boards since I found them, but I'm not a member of the site so I don't post.

Speaking of the PSI... I had found a PSI FAQ not long ago which seemed to explain the PSI pretty well... Now I go looking for it again and can't find it...  I think it might have been a draft.  Any ideas as to where I might find it?
Mike Johnston

Skyray

Sorry, Mike, that was Ham-speak.  They call everybody "Old Man" and the women are "YL" for young lady.  Then when you marry one of them, she becomes your "XYL" which means wife, although the derivation is different.

Don't be bashful, everyone is welcome.  There are several board posters in the Boston area, if you are around there.  Auxiliary is a lot like CAP, it varies wildly with location.  I got no clue what it is like in Mass.

There is a rampant objection to the PSI, because it was put in kind of high handedly, and a bunch of the curmudgeons objected that they have never had that kind of background investigation and they didn't intend to start now.  Coming as I did from the Marines and CAP, I was amazed that they had gotten by as long as they have without some kind of background check.  The site you found it on was probaly National--they had it on "What's New" for a while, but after three months they move it to archives, and I am pretty sure that's where it is now.  Unfortunately, we have about four pounds better than a plethora of information on the web.  You might try asking Hal, FL51D7.  He is the resident information expert.  It is a flaming issue, because some estimates put the membership loss as high as 50% and the leadership is madly trying to play it down.  We (CAP) went through the same thing, although more quietly, in the mid eighties with the fingerprint check.  Lost one of the best Red Cross instructors I ever saw, because he had a record that went unnoticed until the fingerprints were screened.  I lost my GTL.  For a while, the only way you could be a GTL around here was to be a doctor, nurse, or paramedic.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

pixelwonk

Nice to have you aboard CAP-Talk, Skyray. 

73 de WX9AUX  :)

MIKE

Mike Johnston

abysmal

ahhhh
more links for my inventory.
More places to go exploring!!

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on May 10, 2005, 03:56:37 PM
ahhhh
more links for my inventory.
More places to go exploring!!

Hmm... that brings up an interesting idea.  Perhaps we should have a link repository of some sort, for links to useful resources for CAP members.

I'll get on that...   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

I would certainly appreciate it.

One try at that is this....

http://www.the911site.com/911cap/

cmoore

Quote from: abysmal on May 10, 2005, 09:10:20 PM

Wow, that's one of the "busiest" web pages I've seen.  Between the camo background, the animated GIFs, and all the ads, it's hard to figure out where the content is.
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Pylon

Quote from: cmoore on May 10, 2005, 11:21:49 PM

Wow, that's one of the "busiest" web pages I've seen.  Between the camo background, the animated GIFs, and all the ads, it's hard to figure out where the content is.

"Busy" doesn't fully describe its utter ugliness and horrible design.  That ones definitely a candidate for the "Worst of the Web"

::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Agreed.
But...

There are PLENTY of good links burried in that mess of a page, mostly on the righthand side.

md132

I agree that it is one of the worst sites I have ever seen.  Add that most of the links does not work anymore.  You would think that the webmaster would try to keep up to date with all the links on the site.

Quote from: Pylon on May 11, 2005, 12:20:50 AM
Quote from: cmoore on May 10, 2005, 11:21:49 PM

"Busy" doesn't fully describe its utter ugliness and horrible design. That ones definitely a candidate for the "Worst of the Web".

::)