Becoming a Spaatz Testing Officer

Started by BHartman007, January 12, 2015, 09:07:32 PM

BHartman007

How does one go about becoming authorized to administer the Spaatz testing? I saw something that insinuated it was a wing appointment, but if it is I wouldn't even begin to know where to start or who to ask.

With as much enjoyment as I get from administering Wright Brothers, Mitchells, and tonight my first Earhart, I think doing Spaatz exams would be a rewarding undertaking.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

You need to discuss it with the Wing DCP.

Most wings should have more then one, though I believe in most wings the preference is
having former Spaatz cadets serve as the testing officers.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Wing CC appoints Spaatz examiners. Wing CC with consultation from the DCP sets the criteria for who can be one. If you're in a large Wing they usually try to have examiners spread around the Wing to make the commute easier.

I am an examiner. I've conducted a couple of them and also served as a second senior member observer for CPP compliance. Eclipse is correct that some CCs prefer to have former <><><> types as examiners, but it's not strictly necessary.

Honestly, it's a lot of sitting around. You're busy while the CPFT is being conducted, but for the other three hours you're watching somebody sit at a computer. Still, if you're a gung-ho testing officer you can always send an inquiry through the chain of command to see if they need more examiners in your Wing.

PHall

If you're an unknown to the Wing Commander and your Wing Director of Cadet Programs you probably won't get the nod.
The marching orders from National is to keep the number of test proctors as small as practical.

FW

Even in large wings, the number of Spaatz exams given each year is usually less than 5 (including retests), and due to the status of the award, IMHO, it still makes sense to limit the number of testing officers to former Spaatz, Wing Commanders, or similar individuals.

BHartman007

Oh well. It was a fun idea while it lasted. I've met the Texas wing CC (a couple of times) and DCP, but I wouldn't say I really know them well.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 13, 2015, 02:56:27 PM
Oh well. It was a fun idea while it lasted. I've met the Texas wing CC (a couple of times) and DCP, but I wouldn't say I really know them well.

In all honesty, you're not missing out on much. As I understand it, the grading of the multiple choice is not done by the testing officer, but at NHQ/automatically on the server. The only active participation you get is the Physical Fitness Test, and even then, as stated, for the few times a year that may happen in any given wing. If you're looking at taking on more of these responsibilities (outside of Testing Officer), perhaps an assignment as the Leadership Officer to run/guide/oversee the PFT events the cadets participate in.

NHQ has videos of the right way of doing all the events in case you aren't familiar with them: http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/fitness/

BHartman007

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 13, 2015, 03:08:30 PM

In all honesty, you're not missing out on much. As I understand it, the grading of the multiple choice is not done by the testing officer, but at NHQ/automatically on the server. The only active participation you get is the Physical Fitness Test, and even then, as stated, for the few times a year that may happen in any given wing. If you're looking at taking on more of these responsibilities (outside of Testing Officer), perhaps an assignment as the Leadership Officer to run/guide/oversee the PFT events the cadets participate in.

NHQ has videos of the right way of doing all the events in case you aren't familiar with them: http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/fitness/

I've been doing testing and CPFT at my squadron for a year or more now. I do almost everything at my squadron come to think of it. I'm my CC's favorite delegatee, lol. I was just wanting to open up my skills to a little "outside home base" use, and get involved in the bigger picture.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 13, 2015, 03:19:01 PM

I've been doing testing and CPFT at my squadron for a year or more now. I do almost everything at my squadron come to think of it. I'm my CC's favorite delegatee, lol. I was just wanting to open up my skills to a little "outside home base" use, and get involved in the bigger picture.

Sounds great! If you're looking to spread your wings, and have the time, staffing encampment as a SM is very rewarding.

BHartman007

I would definitely like to go serve as a TAC Training Officer in the near future. Unfortunately my new job has a two year moratorium on vacation, so it will be a while :/ On that note....looking for awesome job in the Houston area....lol

lordmonar

Don't let that stop you.   If you really want to do it.....ask.   The worst that can happen is they say "Sorry, not at this time".
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

Minor note:  With respect to the praiseworthy amount of effort invested in those excellent CPFT videos on the NHQ/CP page, many of us believe that they contain a critical error; the push up video incorrectly depicts how to administer the push up test in that it fails to depict the time/tempo requirement. He's clearly doing them too fast in the video.

My Wing and Region Spaatz test administrators discussed this at a Spaatz test I helped with last week and we generally agreed it isn't quite correct as depicted. Members viewing those videos should carefully review the three second requirement spelled out in the CPFT descriptions. We have seen cadets (STILL, a decade+ after the 2003 issue of CAPP 52-18) slamming out pushups hard core as if they were going for a normal DoD test, and they should be corrected and unfortunately failed if they can't meet the 3 second timed pushup requirement.

*Note, I think the 3 second cadence is unnatural and is maltraining for those cadets shooting for DoD slots, personally, yet that is the current standard to administer until we change it.

V/R,
Spam

Майор Хаткевич

Spam

Yes, but you know, on further review I think I need to retract my observation on the timing in the video. I pulled up one of the online audible metronomes, set it to 1Hz, and watched the video more carefully. Conclusions: the cuts and POV changes in the video combined with my lack of audio (can't hear them calling any timing, perhaps that's a playback issue on my part) gave me/us the false impression that the cadet was speeding up.

Sorry about that!

As a systematic issue though, the tempo issue is still fraught with potential for error (obviously)... not the robust, simple, universal standard I'd hope for with minimal training and documentation requirements.

V/R,
Spam

Eclipse

The day when push-up timing becomes a gateway issue to Spaatz will be a happy day for CAP.

You're more likely to have the average candidate blowing the run by 50% then an issue with pushups.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Spam on January 14, 2015, 05:06:14 PM
Yes, but you know, on further review I think I need to retract my observation on the timing in the video. I pulled up one of the online audible metronomes, set it to 1Hz, and watched the video more carefully. Conclusions: the cuts and POV changes in the video combined with my lack of audio (can't hear them calling any timing, perhaps that's a playback issue on my part) gave me/us the false impression that the cadet was speeding up.

Sorry about that!

As a systematic issue though, the tempo issue is still fraught with potential for error (obviously)... not the robust, simple, universal standard I'd hope for with minimal training and documentation requirements.

V/R,
Spam
+1.    I got a metronome app for my Iphone that I use to keep time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BHartman007

Quote from: lordmonar on January 14, 2015, 05:09:03 PM

Sorry about that!

V/R,
Spam

I tried that, but I couldn't get anything to play loud enough to be clearly heard outdoors. I just use a stopwatch and call down every three seconds.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2015, 05:08:44 PM
The day when push-up timing becomes a gateway issue to Spaatz will be a happy day for CAP.

You're more likely to have the average candidate blowing the run by 50% then an issue with pushups.

Actually based on our wing performance in the last few years, it seems to be the Leadership exam that runs out the 3 tries.

PHall

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 14, 2015, 05:15:29 PM

Sorry about that!

V/R,
Spam

I tried that, but I couldn't get anything to play loud enough to be clearly heard outdoors. I just use a stopwatch and call down every three seconds.

Cheap set of speakers solves that problem.

BHartman007

Quote from: PHall on January 15, 2015, 02:40:20 AM
Quote from: BHartman007 on January 14, 2015, 05:15:29 PM

Sorry about that!

V/R,
Spam

Cheap set of speakers solves that problem.

Yeah, but then I just have more junk to carry around.