CAWG's new mandatory signature blocks with branding look horrible.

Started by aviator9417, November 19, 2014, 06:49:29 AM

Grumpy

Quote from: Tim Day on January 14, 2015, 06:40:15 PM
Well, NHQ listened to us!

The new email signature blocks with large graphics and Air Force Auxiliary have been incorporated into the updated CAPR 10-1.

Whoopy do!  Looks dumb to me. But then that's only my opinion.

Chappie

Quote from: McLarty on January 15, 2015, 02:33:27 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 15, 2015, 02:16:57 AM
Yeah... Regulation or not, there's no way I'm putting THAT on my signature block.

I'm afraid I'm with you.  Technically speaking I can't embed these images into my mobile phone, where most of my emails come from.  I will gladly conform to the rest of the standard, but the images aren't happening.

The graphics (which I hate) do work in web-based mail client on a regular desktop/laptop...but crashes and burn on my iPhone -- which I use far more than my desktop/laptop.   So I just followed the regulated format sans graphics -- which means I will be getting more usage on my iPhone  :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Jon Moser

In my opinion this was not a wise decision. It makes things difficult, if not impossible, for mobile devices which I assume a fair amount of members use to send and receive emails. It will require training members on how to add all of that to their emails which (at least for some) will require teaching them how to use third party applications like Outlook to handle their <insert provider here> email accounts. This is going to be a mess.

Yeah... Regulation or not, there's no way I'm putting THAT on my signature block.

I'm afraid I'm with you.  Technically speaking I can't embed these images into my mobile phone, where most of my emails come from.  I will gladly conform to the rest of the standard, but the images aren't happening.

As a heads up "administrative communications" via email are currently part of SUI tab D-4 question 8. Specifically the question mentions CAPR 10-1 para 2a(3) for emails which points directly at Attachment 5.
JONATHAN R. MOSER, Capt, CAP
Director of IT
Southwest Region

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on January 20, 2015, 04:38:42 AM
This whole thing with all the social media services ..

A couple other issues...

Cadets under 13 aren't allowed to use those services (that they do, and worse, parents encourage them to
lie about their age is a seperate issues).

Assuming using them is a good idea, why would we send everyone to National?
At a minimum, member should be sending people to their unit's web page,
Twitspace, MyBook, NarcissismGram, etc.  Or better yet, just a landing page with
links to those things.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Jon Moser on January 19, 2015, 07:30:02 PM
In my opinion this was not a wise decision. It makes things difficult, if not impossible, for mobile devices which I assume a fair amount of members use to send and receive emails. It will require training members on how to add all of that to their emails which (at least for some) will require teaching them how to use third party applications like Outlook to handle their <insert provider here> email accounts. This is going to be a mess.

As a heads up "administrative communications" via email are currently part of SUI tab D-4 question 8. Specifically the question mentions CAPR 10-1 para 2a(3) for emails which points directly at Attachment 5.

I reread CAPR 10-1, Para 2a(3) and couldn't find anything mandating the use of that example, unlike with the memorandum which has a clearly defined standard. But even so, I'm not sure how this can be enforced when not every e-mail system supports those images or formatting.

Furthermore, I agree with Eclipse. Why would I send any of my recipients to the National sites? I would prefer they visit my local sites, as it would have more relevant information for them.

Jon Moser

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 20, 2015, 06:04:49 PM
I reread CAPR 10-1, Para 2a(3) and couldn't find anything mandating the use of that example, unlike with the memorandum which has a clearly defined standard. But even so, I'm not sure how this can be enforced when not every e-mail system supports those images or formatting.

I'm confused. How is this not mandating its use?

Quote(3) Electronic Mail (E-mail).
(a) A traditional e-mail (see attachment 5) replaces or supplements other CAP
written correspondence such as official memorandums or letters. For additional information, see
e-mail Basics in AFH 33-337, The Tongue and Quill, available on the publications page on the
National CAP website under Other Publications.

The signature and instructions on how it is to be built is listed in Attachment 5.

I agree with you on the difficulty of enforcing that change. That makes me hope they will either remove it or add a plain text/mobile friendly option.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 20, 2015, 06:04:49 PM
Furthermore, I agree with Eclipse. Why would I send any of my recipients to the National sites? I would prefer they visit my local sites, as it would have more relevant information for them.

Agreed. Sending them to National may be useful for people wanting general knowledge about CAP, otherwise it should be local information.
JONATHAN R. MOSER, Capt, CAP
Director of IT
Southwest Region