Main Menu

406 Training Beacon

Started by Check Pilot/Tow Pilot, October 15, 2014, 10:55:55 PM

Spaceman3750

I sent an email to an MAS person who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Related to sardak's post though, regarding GPS capable ELTs, I have a question. When I was doing some research on ELTs for kit/experimental aircraft (because I was bored), I noticed that all of the GPS-capable ELTs that I could find took their GPS coordinates from the panel GPS or PFD. If you're in an accident, isn't the likelihood of that shiny PFD or GPS being INOP pretty high, therefore negating the value of the GPS feature?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: sardak on October 17, 2014, 12:00:54 AM
QuoteI truly wish I remembered the name of the company that made the beacons, but it's the same company that makes the EPIRBS.  Yellow base, clear top, antenna sticking out the top, approximately 8 or 9 inches high.
Seimac. The name is in the third post of this thread. Seimac has since been bought out by ACR.

Quote...and the real ones transmit GPS coordinates in the 406 signal.
Only 41% of 406 ELTs made in 2011 were GPS capable, 26% of EPIRBs and 98% of PLBs.

Mike

Thanks, sent an email to ACR ARTEX.

a2capt

On that data capture from the panel, that's why the data is buffered. Unless your in a rocket sled, where you were 3 seconds ago vs. now is not going to make that much of a difference with regard to finding you.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on October 17, 2014, 12:40:09 AM
On that data capture from the panel, that's why the data is buffered. Unless your in a rocket sled, where you were 3 seconds ago vs. now is not going to make that much of a difference with regard to finding you.

I guess I was thinking along a different lines. In reality, GPS data is being pushed constantly. I was thinking along the lines of the ELT saying "Oops, we crashed, better go get the GPS coordinates from the dead Garmin!"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Ok back to my request :)

Look for suggestions in order of priority:

1. Purpose built 406.XXX / 121.775 Practice Beacon

2. 406.XXX EPIRB/ELT with no 121.5 homer

3. 406.XXX EPIRB/ELT with easily disabled 121.5 homer.

Great to have would be an AC/DC power connection.

Thanks!

sardak

On that data capture from the panel, that's why the data is buffered. Unless you're in a rocket sled, where you were 3 seconds ago vs. now is not going to make that much of a difference with regard to finding you.
I guess I was thinking along a different lines. In reality, GPS data is being pushed constantly. I was thinking along the lines of the ELT saying "Oops, we crashed, better go get the GPS coordinates from the dead Garmin!"
Correct, the ELT is just getting the coordinates from the aircraft GPS and storing them, so it sends the last set of stored coordinates. More important to know is this, taken directly from Cospas-Sarsat Specification C/S T.001 "Specification for Cospas-Sarsat 406 MHz Distress Beacons":

If, after providing valid data, the navigation input fails or is not available, the beacon message shall retain the last valid position for 4 hours (+/-5 min) after the last valid position data input. After 4 hours the encoded position shall be set to the default values specified in Annex A. The default values in Annex A are a non-existent position, since 0,0 is a real location.

Mike

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I had a email conversation with Pointer.  They are considering a 406/121.775 practice beacon.

I suggested a switch to turn off the 121.775 homer, having no GPS coordinates in the signal to reduce the cost, and having the 406 signal on one of three frequencies: 406.025, 406.050 and 406.075 for compatibility with the DF-517.

I suggested 406 guts of Pointer 8000 crammed into Pointer 6000  ;D

No timeline given.

Bayareaflyer 44

That's great news!

You know what would really be sweet?  Not like this could happen, but still would be cool if there was some kind of upgrade program where one could send in an old Cadet 6K to be upgraded to whatever they come up with.

Again, just dreaming, since they probably would lay everything out on a single PCB, and there would be no chance of tying in the old 121.775 PCB - but, still one can wish...   8)

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on October 21, 2014, 12:36:04 AM
That's great news!

You know what would really be sweet?  Not like this could happen, but still would be cool if there was some kind of upgrade program where one could send in an old Cadet 6K to be upgraded to whatever they come up with.

Again, just dreaming, since they probably would lay everything out on a single PCB, and there would be no chance of tying in the old 121.775 PCB - but, still one can wish...   8)

You mean like how you can take an iPad 2 in for it to be upgraded to an iPad Air 2?  Oh wait.....;)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

PHall

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on October 21, 2014, 02:57:42 AM
Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on October 21, 2014, 12:36:04 AM
That's great news!

You mean like how you can take an iPad 2 in for it to be upgraded to an iPad Air 2?  Oh wait.....;)

Yeah, might be a bit more then a firmware update! >:D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"