Fundraising with national organizations

Started by Eclipse, September 08, 2014, 08:08:38 PM

Eclipse

In another thread I made the assertion that fundraising with national corporations had to be handled by
NHQ.  I know this was the stated policy about 4-5 years ago, which actually caused some issues
locally, because people were interpreting that to mean they could not go to their local WalDeptMax and
ask for a donation (i.e. gift cards, etc.), because these are, after all "national companies".

I had one Unit CC with grand plans who was intending to solicit Boeing, who has their HQs in my wing,
for a >major< donation to a capital fund for a new building.  To me, that was the intention of the
"NHQ deals with national companies rule."

Is this policy still in place, either formally or informally?

Here's the current pamphlet on fundraising: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Squadron_Fundraising_Guide_405AF46BB8C81.pdf

I have to say, if as much strategic thought was given to ES operations as is purported for fundraising, CAP would be in a lot better shape.

For example:

"Prerequisite for Raising Money
Successful fundraising is not impossible if you have established positive ongoing relationships
with your community. People will donate to organizations they are familiar with. If you have
to tell them who you are and what your missions are, you're chances of receiving
funds is minimal.
Consistent, positive public relations can lead to both fundraising and
recruiting. When people are already familiar with Civil Air Patrol, they are more likely to
support you with both funds and participation."

Something we talk about here all the time, yet lost on those "managing" ES.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

It was never the intention for NHQ to restrict local units from fundraising large corporations, however "they" wanted to be in the loop so no duplication of effort was made. Corporations like Wal Mart and Verizon give community grants every year.  This money is available to "LOCAL" organizations, and does not conflict with the establishment/maintanence of a national contributor network. For this to work, everyone needs to be coordinated, and on the same message.  This is why the "rules" are in place; so everyone benefits.

There is a word "Friendraising"; which defined as the "Prerequisite for Raising Money;
Successful fundraising is not impossible if you have established positive ongoing relationships
with your community. People will donate to organizations they are familiar with. If you have
to tell them who you are and what your missions are, you're chances of receiving
funds is minimal. Consistent, positive public relations can lead to both fundraising and
recruiting. When people are already familiar with Civil Air Patrol, they are more likely to
support you with both funds and participation."
Thank you, Eclipse, for pointing this out.